Anyone future DO's concerned about joint match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmanyee999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm really happy to be going to DO school, I just want to say that up front. I've just been concerned by what I've been reading about the joint match issue. It seems that the older members of the profession are against it and the younger, especially MS's feel it's vital. From what I'm seeing it seems that to not have joint match will be detrimental to us as future DO's and frankly that's a little scary.

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm not that informed on the subject, so I was hoping someone out there could shed some light.

Thanks,
Claudia

Members don't see this ad.

There is actually support from older DO's and DO program directors. The Old guard in power are the ones that are against it. I think that if we keep the momentum up we will win.

As Pre-DO's and soon-to-be first years, is there anything we can do at the onset of our osteopathic medical education to help achieve a joint match? I'm for it, so long as it improves my GME.

Members don't see this ad :)
drmanyee999 said:
Hi all,

I'm really happy to be going to DO school, I just want to say that up front. I've just been concerned by what I've been reading about the joint match issue. It seems that the older members of the profession are against it and the younger, especially MS's feel it's vital. From what I'm seeing it seems that to not have joint match will be detrimental to us as future DO's and frankly that's a little scary.

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm not that informed on the subject, so I was hoping someone out there could shed some light.

Thanks,
Claudia

Most likely your opinion will change as you go through medical school.
Please read up on this topic. I think there are 10+ threads on this subject. +ve and -ve.

For Osteopathic Medical school to remain individualized, yet accepted by Allopathic associations, there must be a joint match. Otherwise, it willl become no-name product.

deadseafishing said:
whats a joint match?

it's shorter than a cigarette match, since it doesn't take as long to light (smaller diameter)

Its a bad thing for the osteopathic profession, a good thing for MD students and allopathic residencies and for a select few osteopathic students.

The people who benefit the most would probably be the allopathic students who would no longer have to worry about programs signing DO's outside the match.

Idiopathic said:
Its a bad thing for the osteopathic profession, a good thing for MD students and allopathic residencies and for a select few osteopathic students.

The people who benefit the most would probably be the allopathic students who would no longer have to worry about programs signing DO's outside the match.

agreed

:thumbup:

All this joint match stuff is meaningless.

Any DO can apply to both matches. MD's cannot enter our match. This means DO competitive residencies (ortho/radiology/derm& c.) are easier for us to get into if you do not mind the geographical limitations.

If you take USMLE and do we well - you can get into any MD program.
If your USMLE score sucks - you have no chance.
If your COMLEX score is great- you can get into great DO residencies.

My advice- planning on taking COMLEX I-III to become a licensed DO.
Plan on taking USMLE ( at least step I, maybe step II)- if you want to do a competitive DO or MD residency. Real competitive DO residencies- may not admit it- but superior USMLE scores are well received.

People use the USMLE score to compare applicants. It is the closest thing the US has to a standardized basic medical knowledge test. With a USMLE score programs can compare you - in an quantitative manner- to other US applicants and applicants from every corner of the planet.

In summary- keep our match for us. If you are concerned- stop whining and start doing USMLE practice questions. They are the same- except there are a lot more stat ?s. Sensitivity/specificity/relative risk/number needed to treat &c. And USMLE has no OMM questions to boost our scores.

Anyone who aces the USMLE can do any residency in the US doing anything.

By the way- I am a DO/PGY1 doing an ACGME/MD residency. I took USMLE I and have completed COMLEX I-III. Nothing too competitive- Neurology.

Best of luck with all.

Guys, joint match doesn't mean allopathic students will be able to take the DO spots. All it means is that AOA match will come out the same day as allo match and by participating in one, you won't be thrown out of the other. Actually let me rephrase, as a DO you will be allowed to rank DO programs among the MD programs, but allo students won't be able apply for these spots. For now the situation is such that if you are a DO and excellent student who wants and is sure that he can get the good allo spot, you will just ignore AOA match. Poor student who wants allo spot that is competitive, but, say, has no chance getting it (i am simplifying things, obviously), will apply for AOA spots. However, for the most people who are looking for competitive programs, which usually are allopathic, but have average grades, work hard for the spot, yet are not sure that they will get them, have a choice of may be forgoing the better quality program and participating in AOA match, or risking not to match, and applying through ERAS. By combining the match, the latter will have a better chance to match, since they can also rank DO programs that are usually easier to obtain, than allo.
Who is against it? program directors whose programs are very poor in quality, that will potentially lose residents and hence the money from the gov't. Also, for those who don't match and do an intern year, who might have match otherwise, it will also mean, loss of places. it is about money, guys, more than anything.
I believe that this match is a great benefit to the students, since it generally allows to safely apply for a better program, without shaking over probability of not matching. I believe that as DOs we are often treated as a second class citizens, and be gaining a better professional education we are advancing ourselves, and gaining respect for the profession. However, since money is a big issue here, i highly doubt that joint match will become a reality in the near future.

Idiopathic said:

As far as I know, this was outlawed two years ago. I still haven't met anyone here who was offered a spot outside the match, probably due to the aforementioned rule change.