1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Anyone get "alternate listed" DMU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by doclm, Nov 18, 2005.

1. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am just wondering how many people have received an "alternate list" for DMU so far this year. This is my second time being placed on their alternate list within two years. From their students who work with the admissions process, I heard that no one has been taken off their alternate list within the last two years. :(

I wonder how many people they invite for an interview that they know will be placed on their alternate list no matter what is said in the interview?!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i'm sorry. :( there was a discussion about this a while ago, so i knew a few people here are on the alternate list. my guess is that they don't invite people to interview already planning to put them on the alternate list. however, if your stats are below their average stats, you probably do have to really wow them on the interview to get an acceptance.

do you have an acceptance elsewhere?

4. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got on the alternate list. I wasn't hurt - my interview panel wasn't very good and really spoiled DMU for me. On the other hand, UNE was not on the top of my list until the interview (my interviewer was awesome). I got accepted to UNE. I definitely got the feeling at my interview that the panel had already decided to not accept me. It was really strange.

5. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, I was waitlisted despite having had good stats. My MCAT score was four points above their average and I had a 3.4 in engineering from a tough program (their words). The interviewer even complimented me on my file and congratulated me 'putting out such an impressive portfolio". But I kind of blew off the interview and I knew I answered their "Why osteopathic" with some short, pat answer on my love for holistic medicine that sounded even false to my ears (I really wanted to say I don't MD or DO, I just want to be doc, but I figured that won't sit well with them!).

Of course, I learned my lesson really fast, and my next four interviews were much, much better. In fact, got my first acceptance in my interview right after DMU, so I guess it was fortitous that DMU waitlisted me---kind of gave me a wake up call that I can't just blow off the interview just because I had good numbers. Premeds beware. :laugh:

6. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for your support!

So far I have no more interviews, however I guess that could change. I have applied to KCUMB, PCOM, and already rejected from LECOM-bradenton. Also, I need to send my secondary to AZCOM.

I was really bummed out about this whole DMU thing. I thought my chances were good since this way my second time.

Again, thank you

7. DarkWingDuck

DarkWingDuck Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You've probably already heard this...... send everything you have left to mail or fill out right now. Don't take advantage of the deadline.

8. goinverted

goinverted goinverted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm with you ShyRem, I had already interviewed at five other schools and been accepted at all of them. My stats are plenty above their average and I feel interviewing was the strongest part of my application, but my interview panel was very strange as well. I thought they asked some ******ed questions. One asked me if I was failing a class in med school if I would focus more on studying and less time with my family. I flat out told them no. I told them that it wasn't a question of time spent studying, but efficacy of the time. They didn't really seem to like that answer. It was almost if they wanted me to say, "Yes, I will do anything to do well in Med school." They actually went from one of my top choices to one of my last. I wasn't impressed with the arrogance of some of the student reps either.

ShyRem, I loved VCU, let's cross the fingers for 12/15 !

9. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    goinverted, DMU also went from top on my list to near dead last. Interesting how much the interview day can count for us as well, isn't it? I'm hoping for VCU. Hope I see you there.

10. Donvb

Donvb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am on the waitlist for DMU, and was informed that last year they took off around 25 people from the waitlist, and the year before that they didn't take any... So it is a very random process and depends on the year! This came from the admissions group at DMU, so pretty reliable information...

11. docmd2010

docmd2010 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey guys my file ws complete last monday, and i've heard that some people got interviews in less than a week..I'm getting really worried, do you think it's because of my low stats (3.5 25 MCAT) that it's taking them longer, or even worse that i'm going to get rejected? or am i just being a typical paranoid premed...

12. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    you're being paranoid. Calm down.

13. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was complete and within a week I received an interview invite.

14. lars1297

lars1297 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They probably asked you about failing a class because they questioned your dedication to school versus your family... med school DOES take sacrifices you know.
    Or... perhaps they just weren't that impressed with you either. It's hard to tell.

15. goinverted

goinverted goinverted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nice try Lars, but if anyone noticed, one of the fastest growing problems in the states is with disfunctional families. It leads to so many other issues that we face today. If anyone said that I needed to neglect my family a little more to pass med school, well they are just plain ******ed! I have also spoken to two other people who are in my same situation and it seems like the interview doesn't bode well if you are not an OMM nazi. So if that is what they wanted from me and nothing else was important, oh well. That will be one of 5 DO schools and 2 MD that wasn't impressed enough to accept me.

16. misparas

misparas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Amen. This sounds familiar to me... Someone should write a proclaimation about it or something.

17. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hm, make me the third person to say that a lack of interest in the osteopathic philosophy seems to sink your boat. As I stated, they had said they were really impressed with my file and I knew coming in that my academics would probably not be a hurdle, my waitlist status could only have been the result of my interivew.

I did not think through the 'why osteopathic' answer (gave some lame thing about treating the whole person, short and not very well throught out I'll admit) nor did I show any interest in OMM.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I got into CCOM, KUCMB, Touro-NV, and am awaiting AZCOM (they should be coming with answer by next week I think), so a waitlist at DMU doesn't mean you are an uncompetitive candidate---there could be a number of other, nonacademic reasons they didn't take to you, and there are plenty of other schools that WILL take you. Cheers!

18. Off topic response....

Less time with a family does not equate to dysfunctional families. It may have some correlation but it is not a direct causation. I come from a large family and my mother worked full time and my father often had jobs that had him gone from 2 weeks to 6 months at a time. Everyone in my family is quite normal and healthy. What matters is the quality of time spent with a family. Quantity helps, but quality is the kicker.

19. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I read ya...nice. It's on the wall baby!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

20. MsEvolution

MsEvolution Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This comment baffles me. If one is not interested in OMM then the question begs to be asked... why apply to an Osteopathic school? Why?

My advice to people:

Please consider that question carefully or you might end up making a miserable existence for yourself by going to a school that emphasizes exactly what you don't believe in or want to learn.

Do yourself and your future classmates/colleagues a favor and apply to programs that you feel meet your needs closely. Having someone in your class that is really contemptuous towards the osteopathic philosophy or treatment modality just spreads negativity everywhere. I'm pretty sure THAT's what the interviewers are trying to avoid. You'll know what I mean next year when you're in school and unfortunately run across someone who is not where they want to be and bitter as heck about it.

My .02 cents.

21. doclm

doclm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey Lars,

That is a mean comment that you posted here. You seem to have a sour character. I for another person felt that the interview committee was strange. I agree that they look at you stupid when you answer their questions and don't give much feedback. I believe that DMU is missing out on good candidates by having strange interviews, thats probably how they ended up with you.

22. lars1297

lars1297 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry you feel that way. I'm just trying to make a point that everyone here needs to understand. Once you receive an interview, the school has already decided that your "stats" are fine... its your personality they want to know about. Just because you get wait listed or rejected doesn't mean your personality is bad, it just means that you might not have been the best fit for their school. Good luck.

23. Donvb

Donvb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I disagree... I came to the interview with a low MCAT and mediocre GPA and the interview was great! The interviewers were talking with me about next year, "I look forward to seeing you in school next year!", "Come into my lab next year and we can look over some research projects perhaps...", "You and your wife will truely love Des Moines, and it seems to be a great fit for you!"... These are honestly things that the interviewers said to me during the interview, because like lars1297, I hoped they had already decided my "stats" were fine! But... I don't think they did, and I wonder why the hell I went to the interview in the first place to be waitlisted!! I have been accepted at every other interview I have attended(3)...

24. lars1297

lars1297 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What I meant about your stats being "fine" was that you have to have decent numbers in order to get an interview... its the assessment of your maturity, experience, character, dedication to osteopathy, and fit for the school that the interviewers assess during the interview... if they are very concerned about your scores, they will ask you about it...and if you give them a satisfactory answer/reason, they won't have any more issues with it... check out my thread that says "Have you had a bad interview at DMU"... its posted near the beginning.
    In my responses to people, I've addressed some of the major mistakes that people make during their interviews...
    I know these things because I have done quite a few interviews this year and my friends have done many also.
    Many interviewers say "Looking forward to seeing you next year" as a way to close the conversation.... I cannot account for why people told you that you would "love Des moines, it seems like it'd be a great fit for you", etc.
    Frankly, the fact that your interview went well is why you are on the waitlist.. but you don't know where you are on the waitlist...so don't wonder what you did wrong until you know for sure where you stand. The waitlist CAN be a very fluid thing.