anyone get an interview at UCSF after being put on hold?

calberkeleygrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2004
Status
I am on hold too and havent heard anything. But Admissions said that they expect to only interview a very small handful from the ~ 100 on hold. And that we'll know very soon.

demalo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
calberkeleygrl said:
I am on hold too and havent heard anything. But Admissions said that they expect to only interview a very small handful from the ~ 100 on hold. And that we'll know very soon.

when you were put on hold did you do anything beside send in an update and official transcript? Also, when do you think they will send out invites for interview?

happygirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
Status
demalo said:
when you were put on hold did you do anything beside send in an update and official transcript? Also, when do you think they will send out invites for interview?

ive been on hold foreeever! i sent an update, but i didnt sent an official transcript. were we supposed to?? uh oh :eek:

demalo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
happygirl said:
ive been on hold foreeever! i sent an update, but i didnt sent an official transcript. were we supposed to?? uh oh :eek:
My letter requested that I send a first quarter transcript back in December. I then received a HOLD status letter in January. I just emailed UCSF about interviewing hold candidates, and will post when I get a response. Are there really only ~ 100 of us on hold?

OP
V

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
when i called the admissions office, they said that they didn't need an official transcript. they said to just jot down your grades and put the class you took next to it. what does a handful mean, like 5?

opinionkitten

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
im in this boat, ive heard universally horrible things about this hold status, nice to know that anyone of the 100 gets off the list. i sent in a letter of interest, no updates. the hold letter said interviews as late as april 15 so the invites for these should come soon if they come at all. or perhaps they mean an invite for an interview comes as late as april 15, that would be great to interview in may or something. i guess top 10's can do as they please...

demalo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
opinionkitten said:
im in this boat, ive heard universally horrible things about this hold status, nice to know that anyone of the 100 gets off the list. i sent in a letter of interest, no updates. the hold letter said interviews as late as april 15 so the invites for these should come soon if they come at all. or perhaps they mean an invite for an interview comes as late as april 15, that would be great to interview in may or something. i guess top 10's can do as they please...
do any of you know anyone who has come off hold to interview? for UCSF of course, I know at others schools. Are all of you August MCATers?

demalo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
here is the what admissions said--pretty much what you all have been saying:

The Hold files are being reviewed at the present time, however, I regret
that very few will be selected for interviews.

calberkeleygrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2004
Status
Yeah I also just called today and they said the same thing, that they are being reviewed and very few would be interviewed, and that we'd find out in the "next few weeks." I sent a letter of interest/intent and a publications update.

calberkeleygrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2004
Status
demalo said:
My hold letter was dated Jan 25

macktong

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
Boston
Status
I was actually rejected after post-secondary, but then I wrote them an appeal letter and had interview two weeks ago. So don't give up hope! The whole process is just so random.

Good luck to all of u.

opinionkitten

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
i got the pre interview hold rejection letter yesterday, cant say i didnt expect it. what is the point of this status? why have us agonize about it? id prefer to have not heard anything than to been given the glimmer of hope. what can you do....

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's okay, opinionkitten. Hopefully good news is in the mail from you-know-where. :)

opinionkitten

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
UCLAstudent said:
It's okay, opinionkitten. Hopefully good news is in the mail from you-know-where. :)
heres to hoping....i got three big R's yesterday (sf, harvard, and columbia) but the la status change has me all excited and goddamn top 10's are not going to bring me down. here that, stanford?

iggyboop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2003
Status
opinionkitten said:
heres to hoping....i got three big R's yesterday (sf, harvard, and columbia) but the la status change has me all excited and goddamn top 10's are not going to bring me down. here that, stanford?
I got the big R's from harvard and sf (after being put on hold) as well, along with the UCLA status change - here's hoping that we both get a huge swing in luck. :p

nikibean

Tip your guide.
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2004
Cali. But not the cool part.
Visit site
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Was put on hold in November.

Was just denied interview. :eek:
You can bet your *ss I sat down, wrote my appeal and fed exed it.
I had one of UCSF's professors write me a rec, and he has also called now on my behalf.
If I get in, I'll be third generation to go. I want to go here more than anything.

Wish me luck.

And luck to all of you.

OP
V

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
sorry to be annoying, but when were your rejection letters (post-hold) postmarked? i just got the big stanford rejection on the 10th, postmarked on the 7th after waiting for FOREVER. i am an out of stater for UCSF, so i was even surprised that they gave me a secondary, much less a hold for interview. i am not expecting much, however. i just wish they wouldn't have the hold category if they only plan on interviewing 5-10 more people. why not just interview them from the beginning and reject everyone else?

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
VeggieGal said:
sorry to be annoying, but when were your rejection letters (post-hold) postmarked? i just got the big stanford rejection on the 10th, postmarked on the 7th after waiting for FOREVER. i am an out of stater for UCSF, so i was even surprised that they gave me a secondary, much less a hold for interview. i am not expecting much, however. i just wish they wouldn't have the hold category if they only plan on interviewing 5-10 more people. why not just interview them from the beginning and reject everyone else?
I just got my post-hold rejection dated 3/3/05. It's all good...I'm an out-of-stater.