Quantcast

Anyone get an MBA after or during MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ice_23

Economics Monster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am specifically wondering with regards to non MD/MBA joint programs. Does it really look bad for residencies (competitive ones like ophtho or rads) if you go and do an MBA between years 2 & 3 or years 3 & 4 (or just before residency)? Has anyone done this sort of thing?

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Ice

ice_23

Economics Monster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmm, no takers? I thought it was a relevant question...bumping up to see if someone can help...

-Ice

Schubie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ice_23 said:
Hmm, no takers? I thought it was a relevant question...bumping up to see if someone can help...

-Ice

I'm doing it between years 3 and 4, as is everyone in my class. 3rd year is the most intense year of med school, and 4th year is pretty easy, relatively speaking. It's a far smoother transition, I would imagine, to return as a 4th year than as a 3rd year, especially because you are going to need some time to get back up to speed, time which 3rd year does not afford.

ice_23

Economics Monster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Schubie said:
I'm doing it between years 3 and 4, as is everyone in my class. 3rd year is the most intense year of med school, and 4th year is pretty easy, relatively speaking. It's a far smoother transition, I would imagine, to return as a 4th year than as a 3rd year, especially because you are going to need some time to get back up to speed, time which 3rd year does not afford.

So is it completely out of the question to get into a competitive residency if you go to b-school AFTER all 4 years but before residency? I'm wondering if anyone ever held off the match to go to b-school, but wound up matching after the 2 years of b-school were over...

-Ice

mward04

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe the ideal time to do the mba is btwn the 3rd and 4th years of med school. If you do it after 2nd year, you've never spent any time on the Wards, btwn 3/4 at least gives you a semblance of what medicine is like. I think that doing the mba after 4th year is actually a bad idea. You would then have to apply for residency and do that match when you haven't been on the wards for 1-2 years-you don't know anyone any more, and they surely don't know you. Plus, if you do the mba btwn 3/4, you still have time to warm up again before applying rather than going straight to residency. Lastly, most dual degree programs make you take courses during 4th year of med school so you would probably have to do an extra year of b-school (unless you did an accelerate 1 yr MBA) so you would be 2 years removed from med school...ouch!