SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone get IN with NO shadowing???????????????????????????????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by doctorbettyrock, Mar 25, 2007.

1. doctorbettyrock

doctorbettyrock 2+ Year Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Anybody get accepted with just clinical experience and no shadowing?????

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member 2+ Year Member

May 28, 2006
    Boston & NYC
    Are you sure you already went through this previous application cycle and interviewed already?

4. Robizzle

May 28, 2006
    Boston & NYC
    And to answer your question, yes it happens all the time

5. AtreyuRocks

AtreyuRocks 7+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Richmond, VA
  6. JackofAllTrades

JackofAllTrades 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Cleveland
    There is still time, even if you apply this summer. Start now!

7. AtreyuRocks

AtreyuRocks 7+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    yea, for some reason in my mind... "clinical experience" is the more "highly recommended" requirement, not so much shadowing... :confused:

EDIT: i just realized that highly recommended requirement is oxymoronic, however there is something about clinical experience and applying to medical school that makes this statement valid =) anyone agree? =)

8. doctorbettyrock

Mar 10, 2007
    LOL. I've applied to a Canadian school. We don't find out the results of our interviews until May 15th...... Arghhhh

9. jojo_1981

jojo_1981 Circus Monkey 7+ Year Member

May 15, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Docbetty, you seriously need to take a chill pill. I see you on these forums like every day asking some neurotic question about your application. People resoundingly give you intelligent and "don't stress about it, cause you can't do anything now" kind of answers, you pretend to listen to them, and then you come back the next day to ask the same freaked out question or something similar. RELAX!!! You have done all you can at this point.

Either you'll get in, or you won't; and if not, you can go about fixing the things that needs fixing and give it another go next time. No point in giving yourself an ulcer before you're even gotten in to Med School, am I right? You will soon, if not this year, than next. No use going in endless circles over the same questions and fears which doesn't really help you right now, anyway!

10. Every time you post......all I hear is "Momma! Scary storms up there Momma!!"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE9XAu5LeM0[/YOUTUBE]

11. doctorbettyrock

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks. You are right..... I was just curious:oops: :oops:

12. Robizzle

May 28, 2006
    Boston & NYC
    This date will come extremely slowly unless you
    |
    |
    \/

13. xylem29

xylem29 7+ Year Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Yes - I did...but it was Wayne State. I've been waitlisted at all other schools (4). This lack of shadowing did come up in a few interviews too. If u can do it, might as well do it.

14. jojo_1981

jojo_1981 Circus Monkey 7+ Year Member

May 15, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Brilliant, DKM, brilliant.

15. Danke.....was kann ich sagen?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNm6ZbX3k9I[/YOUTUBE]

16. 63768

63768 Guest 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2005
    OMG, excessive use of question marks!!!!!!!!! we must pay attention to this post!!!!

??????????????????????? ??????????????? ??? ????????????????????????????/

17. Stolenspatulas

Stolenspatulas 2+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    can we have some hot girl posts???????????????????????????

18. mahasanti

mahasanti 7+ Year Member

Feb 8, 2007
    I didn't shadow a bit... but I worried about it to no end (I thought I was doomed unless I shadowed, as my pre-med advisor told me). I think if you have any other significant clinical exposure then most schools really won't care. At least that has been my experience--it never came up at all in any of my interviews.

19. gary5

gary5 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 24, 2003
    I know a guy who had excellent grades and MCAT but had no shadowing and no volunteering. He got no interviews. He did finally get into a good school, because his dad is a doctor and pulled some strings for him to get an interview.

20. gotmeds?

gotmeds? 5+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Zero shadowing. I think things turned out ok.

21. BleepTastic

BleepTastic Throbbing Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    New York
    This thread makes me so mad. I don't know why. Maybe because I didn't know what the hell "shadowing" meant until 3 months ago????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Anyway no one ever said "WOW you never shadowed?" on any of my interviews.
    Plus, for SDN, I have inferior grades, inferior MCATs, no volunteering, no shadowing, I applied late and I don't have anyone pulling strings, but I still got a few interviews. If I can get some, you can get some.

22. stixx

stixx 5+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2006

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  23. arsenewenger

arsenewenger 2+ Year Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Washington
    Are u hot? i have heard of people getting in after some lap dances with the dean.

NB:I hope they don't ban me for this.

24. arsenewenger

arsenewenger 2+ Year Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Washington
    LMAO!
    This is why i love reading your post. Straight talk, great sense of humor. I think you 're cut out to be a great doctor. Good luck with 4th year.

It's very difficult to get under your skin.

25. BleepTastic

BleepTastic Throbbing Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    New York
    I think this is why this is all so irritating. What's up with the frivolous checklist of activities potentially barring someone from becoming a doctor? I'm tired of hearing about shadowing and clinical and bla bla bla crap from pre-meds who are just doing it for the CV. I could learn more in a week of being a CNA than I could by volunteering at a hospital (aka clerical work). Shadowing an established 60 yr old doctor won't be representative of what is awaiting you. Sure it helps some people, but why would it be that essential to getting into med school?

26. stixx

stixx 5+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Ah I know what you mean. This is all recent too, probably a gen Y or echo boom thing - parents who have conditioned their children to be over acheivers since preschool regardless of what their actual intellectual capabilities may be....it's sad. :oops:

Even some docs in their early 30s just starting out after residency that's i've talked to have been shocked at what the current crop of premeds is willing to do...

27. photo_girl07

photo_girl07 Western Blot Queen 2+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2006
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    yes...no shadowing...!

28. Severus

Severus FTSM! Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2004
    teh OR
    yup... absolutely no shadowing.

29. sheepunite

sheepunite Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2005
    actually, yeah.

30. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I shadowed and I didn't get in... Twice.

does that help?:D

31. foofish

foofish 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    SDN
    Yes, since shadowing is just one form of clinical experience. The more interesting question is how many people get in with no clinical experience, period.

32. gujuDoc

gujuDoc 10+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2004
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

33. MiniNMD

MiniNMD Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2006
    I had tons of research and very little clinical experience, definitely no shadowing. But my parents are both doctors - I got into three schools in the Top 50 research institutions (according to US news rankings) and waitlisted at another in the Top 5 (and apparently the dean is still keeping me in mind there). It's definitely doable - just apply to schools where your strengths are in line with their values.

34. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2005
    N'awlins
    Shadowing is meant to prepare you to be able to answer the why medicine type of question. To actually know what you are getting yourself into and to still want it. If you have clinical experience that prepared you for this, then there is no need to shadow. I worked as a clinical research coordinator for a year1/2 after UG and spent a few days a week in a clinic working with docs and seeing what they do while I did my job which gave me lots of patient contact, so I never bothered just shadowing docs in addition, and I had 3 acceptances and a waitlist from 9 apps so I think I did just fine.

35. degoo_

degoo_ 2+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Ontario
    haha, DKM. Which episode is that clip from.. I've never seen it!

36. Shake_yabooties

Shake_yabooties Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Yes I got in.. but as you can see from my profile, i'm not doing as well as I should have.

37. gotmeds?

gotmeds? 5+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    How well should you have done?

38. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard 5+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2006
    over the rainbow
    another doctorbettyrock thread..:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

39. etsuprinthead

etsuprinthead 2+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Tennessee
    MDApps:
    only clinical experience = volunteering in the ER, and only about 40-50 hours of that.

post-interview, I have 4 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 1 ?. it's do-able.

40. doctorbettyrock

Mar 10, 2007
    Well, I'm not here to impress anyone..... ;) ;) ;)

41. Good.....then you won't be disappoint because of a stunning failure to do so then.

42. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Yes, +1 here.

43. Stolenspatulas

Stolenspatulas 2+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Given his stats I would expect significantly better. He's not being a douche-bag just b/c he was more hopeful in this process. Don't try and trap him.