Anyone get into dental school with 18 AA and 3.5 gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Misssari

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if anyone got in with stats close to these thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have helped many students with similar stats. The GPA is right on the middle, but DAT score is quite low. For many students, I recommend retaking the DAT to get at least a 20. This stat was more prevalent 5-6 years ago, but not that the national avg for the DAT has gone up to 20.7, it'd be quite hard to gain admission.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone got in with stats close to these thanks!
I would apply with those scores and see if somewhere will say yes. Trust me, I got in with stats WAY lower than yours —

DAT: 18
Undergrad Science: 2.9, Undergrad Cumulative: 3.0-3.1 (I think, give or take)
Masters: 3.9
Experience: 4 years worth of doing everything you can think of in the dental world.

DAT and GPA is only one component. Although, they are important, it’s not everything. Make sure you apply to schools that look for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply with those scores and see if somewhere will say yes. Trust me, I got in with stats WAY lower than yours —

Experience: 4 years worth of doing everything you can think of in the dental world.

DAT and GPA is only one component. Although, they are important, it’s not everything. Make sure you apply to schools that look for that.
Thanks for giving me hope! Yeah I’ll applyand see what happens if anything I’ll retake and reapply :) sucks though, I studied a lot and used bootcamp but i think i freaked during the actual exam. Oh well :/

I have helped many students with similar stats. The GPA is right on the middle, but DAT score is quite low. For many students, I recommend retaking the DAT to get at least a 20. This stat was more prevalent 5-6 years ago, but not that the national avg for the DAT has gone up to 20.7, it'd be quite hard to gain admission.

Thank you for your response!

Thanks for giving me hope! Yeah I’ll applyand see what happens if anything I’ll retake and reapply :) sucks though, I studied a lot and used bootcamp but i think i freaked during the actual exam. Oh well :/
No problem! I know how hard it is. I took the DAT 4 times and applied to dental school 3 times. Luckily, they saw something in me and aced my interview. You just need to get that interview! Your GPA will get you interviews! Just remember, it’s not a matter of IF, it’s a matter of WHEN. Keep your head up and for what it’s worth — the DAT is the dumbest exam I’ve ever taken. It doesn’t accurately predicts how well you’re going to do in dental school. It’s more of a weed out process because “statistically”, i was never supposed to be admitted into dental school going off of my stats. But here I am, thriving in dental school and about to be a D2. :)

Reactions: 3 users

I would love if you can talk to me about your experience a bit. I have 3.3 oGPA right now and 3.0sGPA but I have been a full time dental assistant for three years and will have excellent LOR's. However, I always feel that because of my stats my chances aren't great. I would love to hear from you if you have the time

Yes, I want to hear more too. 2.8 undergrad (last 60 upper division science 3.3), and 3.7 masters, 24AA/24TS. This is my 2nd round applying. I met with a health professions councilor and revamped my ps, extracurriculars, and got a good job in the medical field for experience. I only applied to 8 last year and 5 are what I considered reach schools (2 interview w/ rejection). My DAT didn’t make up for my many deficiencies I found out This year I’m doing 16 with 1 reach school. *fingers crossed*

Yes, I want to hear more too. 2.8 undergrad (last 60 upper division science 3.3), and 3.7 masters, 24AA/24TS. This is my 2nd round applying. I met with a health professions councilor and revamped my ps, extracurriculars, and got a good job in the medical field for experience. I only applied to 8 last year and 5 are what I considered reach schools (2 interview w/ rejection). My DAT didn’t make up for my many deficiencies I found out This year I’m doing 16 with 1 reach school. *fingers crossed*
You're definitely getting in those are amazing stats!

No problem! I know how hard it is. I took the DAT 4 times and applied to dental school 3 times. Luckily, they saw something in me and aced my interview. You just need to get that interview! Your GPA will get you interviews! Just remember, it’s not a matter of IF, it’s a matter of WHEN. Keep your head up and for what it’s worth — the DAT is the dumbest exam I’ve ever taken. It doesn’t accurately predicts how well you’re going to do in dental school. It’s more of a weed out process because “statistically”, i was never supposed to be admitted into dental school going off of my stats. But here I am, thriving in dental school and about to be a D2. :)
Btw you're such an inspiration! You didn't give up and your hard work payed off congrats yo!

The ADA report shows the 2018-2019 entering class DAT at 20.5, with sci gpa at 3.49 (3.50 the previous year) and o gpa at 3.57 (3.59 the previous year). While we have been throwing these numbers around for years, the numbers are a little misleading since the average takes into account each dental school equally and since the number of first year enrollees varies by dental school, the means do not represent the true average of all first-year enrollees.

I would love if you can talk to me about your experience a bit. I have 3.3 oGPA right now and 3.0sGPA but I have been a full time dental assistant for three years and will have excellent LOR's. However, I always feel that because of my stats my chances aren't great. I would love to hear from you if you have the time
Absolutely, send me a PM with your email address and we can talk more about it! :)

2 interviews mean that they saw something in your application!!! I’m excited to continue hearing about your journey! PM me your email and we can chat more. Don’t give up. Sometimes, it’s the school you apply for too! So if you don’t mind me asking, what schools did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not sure where everyone in this thread is from but if you don’t mind going to school in the Midwest for four years, I would say apply to Marquette and Midwestern IL. I know some of my friends got in with DATs of 17/18 and GPAs around 3.0+ but not greater than a 3.5 for sure. Let me know if I can help with anything else, just PM me and i’ll Get back to ya!

Btw, IM VERY EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS! I know it’s a long journey and I know how exhausting it is — mentally, financially and emotionally but all you need are interviews and that ONE YES! Please keep me updated! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad - 3.4 oGPA, 3.3 sGPA.
DAT - 19AA.

Got into 2 schools. You’re fine

Undergrad - 3.4 oGPA, 3.3 sGPA.
DAT - 19AA.

Got into 2 schools. You’re fine

Hi would you mind giving your whole DAT score breakdown for each section? Also, did you have a lot of volunteering etc? Thanks!

18 AA (18s across the board) 3.5 cum 3.89 science (post-bacc work). It can be done but you have to have other things that a lot of other people don't have. Missionary work, volunteering, humanitarian service, college athlete, other career, work experience, ect. What you lack for in something try and make up for it in something else.

Hi would you mind giving your whole DAT score breakdown for each section? Also, did you have a lot of volunteering etc? Thanks!

I got something like 19AA, 19 Science, 17 Bio, 16QR, 20 GC, 21OC, 20 RC, 20 PAT

I had around 300 volunteering hours.

I got something like 19AA, 19 Science, 17 Bio, 16QR, 20 GC, 21OC, 20 RC, 20 PAT

I had around 300 volunteering hours.

Thanks! I hear they use a scoring/points system so hopefully I have enough for an interview! Good luck this year!

Thanks! I hear they use a scoring/points system so hopefully I have enough for an interview! Good luck this year!

Louisville? Yeahh they do. Good luck!

And thanks, we’ll see how D1 goes haha

3.5 is fine, but an 18AA puts you in the 5th percentile for a lot of public dental schools and competitive private schools. So yes, it's possible to get in just unlikely depending on where you apply.

Just apply broadly - you'll be fine. Do you have anything under a 17?