Anyone get into Dental School with a "B" in Organic Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met with my advisor a while back and he stressed the importance of making an "A" in organic chemistry in order to get into med/dental/pharmacy schools. I'm just curious how likely it is that someone that does not get an "A" in Orgo can get into medical programs. I'm looking at dental school and am currently on pace to make an "A" in Orgo I, but you know how it goes. One little slip up on the next test or the final and an "A" can quickly turn into a "B." Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

B in organic is fine.

I have some B's and A's in organic... I never had anybody asking me for those grades at my interviews.

Good Luck

a girl i know had a "c" in orgo 2, and she got in. she also had a high gpa, so just make sure that you get As and Bs and you'll be fine :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Slash said:
I met with my advisor a while back and he stressed the importance of making an "A" in organic chemistry in order to get into med/dental/pharmacy schools. I'm just curious how likely it is that someone that does not get an "A" in Orgo can get into medical programs. I'm looking at dental school and am currently on pace to make an "A" in Orgo I, but you know how it goes. One little slip up on the next test or the final and an "A" can quickly turn into a "B." Any opinions?

Wow...come on...Are you serious? I know people who get C's in Ochem that have gotten accepted. Adcomms may ask you why you got a C but if your overall GPA is decent you should have no reason to fear not getting an A.

quakinator said:
Wow...come on...Are you serious? I know people who get C's in Ochem that have gotten accepted. Adcomms may ask you why you got a C but if your overall GPA is decent you should have no reason to fear not getting an A.

Yeah, I am serious. That's why I pose this question to other students on this board who have already been through, or are currently going through, the admissions process. My advisor seems to be freaking out students with his " 'A' in Orgo or bust" mentality.

Slash said:
Yeah, I am serious. That's why I pose this question to other students on this board who have already been through, or are currently going through, the admissions process. My advisor seems to be freaking out students with his " 'A' in Orgo or bust" mentality.

Well, it's good for your advisor to push you to do your best. Sounds kinda like my advisor. He made it sound like if you didn't turn in your AADSAS in June then you wouldn't get into school. They are just trying to give you all the chances that you need to get accepted. I'm glad my advisor pushed so hard. Maybe that's why my undergrad has a 94% acceptance rate to D-school (out of ~200 applicants/year). Good job in orgo. If you get an A, you should have no problem getting a 25+ in orgo on the DAT. The DAT orgo is really a simplified, basic idea type of orgo. Good luck man!

You wouln't belive this... Hold your breath, I know a guy who got into dental school, and wait for it...are you ready? ...... re-took orgo....! Mother of god, you say?!? It's true....and its more than fine to have a B or two.

ItsGavinC said:
I know students who have failed Organic 2 and not retaken it and still gotten in.

please tell me this is a joke

ItsGavinC said:
I know students who have failed Organic 2 and not retaken it and still gotten in.

Wait a minute. You're saying that people have flunked orgo, never retaken it, and gotten into dental school. You have to be kidding.

RaiderNation said:
Wait a minute. You're saying that people have flunked orgo, never retook it, and gotten into dental school. You have to be kidding.

yeah... i think he was just joking lol

let's talk about biochem, shall we, has anyone gotten a C in biochem (after having straight A's/B's for the past couple years) and still gotten in? i ask only because this would look like a significant drop/slacking off in the last semester kind of thing to schools. it isn't though... biochem is just a real treat! :confused: :eek: :thumbdown:

"As or bust?"

I had quite a few Cs in undergrad.. for both semesters of O-chem, another for Molec/Cell bio, in Calculus...etc, and a LOT of Bs...GPA was around 2.9-3.0.

Also, in regards to what your advisor said or says to other people, I saw screw them... At my undergrad, all they did was talk like that to other students and of course heavily favored only those who had those surreal 4.0s. When I saw my pre-health advisors (3 yrs after graduating), they more or less said, "your grades suck, don't waste time applying now (I ended up sitting the DAT on Nov 13th or so..ahah...and applied the end of Nov).... and why don't you consider public health, etc?"

I admit... I felt dejected after that but then I just got plain angry. So please...take what they say with a grain of salt... What do they know? Are they in school? Have most of these "advisors" been on admissions committees? What they know of the admissions process and requirements is exactly the same crap we see and read from stats reported by those schools and the ADA.

And even if they try to deject you, should it really stop you from applying or being scared? The average DAT scores and GPAs for most dental schools in the country are around 17-20 and 3.1-3.4. AVERAGE... so thats a lot of people above...there...and way below those figures.. There is more to you than just grades and they'll see it reflected in your app. Everyone here on SDN is capable of getting in..

Just do the best you can with the rest of the application... your essay, your DAT, etc. No point in worrying about grades now.

my two cents..

No ... if you make a "b" in organic chemistry you can't get into dental school ...

WTF kind of question is that ... plenty of people have made it into school even after failing orgo and retaking it and making a much better grade.

It's all about what you make of the situation ... Plenty of out of class activities will make up for a lot.

RaiderNation said:
Wait a minute. You're saying that people have flunked orgo, never retook it, and gotten into dental school. You have to be kidding.

Not at all.

A buddy of mine was in the class during Fall semester and found out that he was accepted to several dental schools. His acceptances came in near the beginning of December and the semester ended 3 weeks later.

He actually had a D in the course, but had some absences above the norm, which dropped his grade to a Fail.

He contacted the dental schools, told them he hadn't passed the course, and also told them that he didn't feel like he'd do much better the second time around.

Two schools told him he'd have to retake it and do well to matriculate, and two other schools told him he didn't need to retake the course.

He matriculated the following Fall and is currently a D3.

I'm not saying this is the norm, but it does happen. The guy did just fine on the organic section of the DAT (19 I think), so that was probably part of the reason he didn't have to retake. I'm sure the situation would have been different if it were Organic I.

Biogirl361 said:
let's talk about biochem, shall we, has anyone gotten a C in biochem (after having straight A's/B's for the past couple years) and still gotten in? i ask only because this would look like a significant drop/slacking off in the last semester kind of thing to schools. it isn't though... biochem is just a real treat! :confused: :eek: :thumbdown:

Gah, you are telling me Biogirl! Try major's biochemistry on for size, not just the "general" pre-dental biochemistry organism!!!!! Let's just say I am thinking about shooting myself because in our first test the class average was 56 for this 590 class. My college doesn't offer more than one quarter in general and then jumps straight to the Majors! :eek: :eek: Anyway the teacher decided to curve the grade after that test but that still make me, a straight A student, barely getting a C minus. I am thinking that it wasn't worth taking this for ONE schools pre-requisites. There goes my 4.0. I am seriously thinking about withdrawing my application from that one school as I am "done" officially with all other classes. hmmm. :(

Slash said:

Sure, I was accepted with a C in orgoI and a B in orgoII ~ 3.0 overall gpa. It can happen, the admissions people look at more than just a sophomore chemistry class...

U got in to UConn with 3.0 GPA and a C in an Orgo? You must have had Killer DAT scores to make-up for that? :D

Mo007 said:
U got in to UConn with 3.0 GPA and a C in an Orgo? You must have had Killer DAT scores to make-up for that? :D

I did well on the DAT - but I also completed a M.S. degree in biochemistry, published a few research articles, worked as a professional for 3 years and provided excellent recommendations.
This is evidence that the application involves many components, your performance in college is just one of them.

captaintripps said:
I did well on the DAT - but I also completed a M.S. degree in biochemistry, published a few research articles, worked as a professional for 3 years and provided excellent recommendations.
This is evidence that the application involves many components, your performance in college is just one of them.
Good Job! :thumbup:

darksunshine, yeah, out of the two introductory biochem classes, my major requires me to take the tougher one, same one that biochem majors have to take :eek: I don't quite have a C yet, but I'm like 1% away and i know that is going to drop after the next 2 exams and one quiz. glad to hear i am not the only one out there struggling with it!