Anyone get into med school with bad 1st year, and bad 1st semester(or bad year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intuition

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
of 2nd year? and then killed all your classes from then on out getting A's? and NOT having to do a post-bacc? ( i think that's how you spell it)

info:
1st year: avg gpa of 3.2
2nd year: dropped out in the Fall because I was horribly sick [ which resulted in all W's =( ]
2nd year spring: 3.7 (though I dropped physics, which resulted in yet another W)
3rd year (this year)..I think I'll probably get between 3.5-3.7
4th year (not completed yet)
5th year (not completed yet)

I'd post this in Allo but, they'd move it here anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

3.2 isn't all that bad. If you keep the upward trend, I don't see why you wouldn't be accepted.

my first semester was around 3.3, dont be so premed you're fine

Members don't see this ad :)
I sure hope so, my entire undergrad GPA isn't much higher than that. :p

I made 3 C's and a B- my first semester and I got in (although I had a strong upward trend after that)

My first semester GPA was a 3.0 and science GPA was something like 2.6. As long as you have an upward trend you should be fine.

Dude, my UGPAs went as follows: 3.1, 1.4, 3.0 2.3, 2.8, 1.0, 4.0, 3.4, 3.8, 4.0 and then 4.0s in grad school. You're fine, just keep doing well.

I had some crazy undergrad experiences (probably a little less excusable than getting sick and having to withdraw). I won't say that I didn't have to do some salvage work and I didn't get in on the first try, but I'm in.

It will take hard work and persistence, stick with it and keep that upward trend going.

I've had one bad semester where I did not do so well in O-chem II, Microbiology, and Physics II. There were a lot of things going on in this second semester of my second year. To make up for it though, I took Biochem the following summer, and got an A (and Ochem Lab II, and got an A). The following fall semester, I took 5 chemistry classes, and pulled off a 4.0, and to really make up for Ochem II, I took Advanced Biochemistry, and pulled off an A- (and two other sciences courses and an honors class, with A's).

It works, just as long as you are determined.

how would it look if i received:

so far:
Bio 1-B
Bio2- C+
Physics 1: C+
Precald: A

and if I get the following in the next two years:
Physics 2: A
Orgo 1 and 2: A's
Biochem: A
Genetics:A

Why do people ask stupid questions like this?? Do you think no one who has ever done bad in their first year of college has gotten into med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do people ask stupid questions like this?? Do you think no one who has ever done bad in their first year of college has gotten into med school?

well, honestly I'm not sure...that's why I asked. I mean I know people with less than 4.0's aren't the only ones who get in of course. but I want to know just how bad your grades will have to be to keep you out of the running.

and I can see how medschool don't really take your first year THAT seriously, but i figure they must really care to see how you've done /improved your second year on

I had a 3.2 first semester, 3.5 second semester, 3.9 since. Have acceptances at Pitt, Case Western. Some interviews at top 10 schools. Honestly, I think once you get the interview, the upward trend helps because its a talking point. You can use the opportunity to really convince the interviewer, and thats something they want to see- communication skills. Also, accepting that you were immature or unprepared your first year shows maturity on your part now. It can also be the topic of some of your eventually secondary essays.

Well in the words of my pre health advisor "high MCAT lower gpa is more easily forgiven than low MCAT high gpa"

Out of 8 college semesters i had C's in 4 of them...
1st semester I had expos: anyone at rutgers will tell you is a BS class. ended up with a C+ but got an R and 10 on VR on the mcat...go figure.
2nd semester: got a C in general chem I.
3rd semester: took bio I, chemII, calcI, and physics I. Got a B+ in bio and C's in the other 3. Anyone know if they cut you a break for cutting off more than you can chew?

next 4 semesters i made deans list.

and then last semester I made the mistake of taking advanced developmental biology (cross listed grad level class) and ended up with a C in that.

so yeah to give you an idea of things so far i have only gotten rejections. but i also show a strong trend of improvement which although not a 3.9 overall gpa still shows something about my character.

cliffnotes...in my opinion if you do badly a semester or two it wont kill you just make sure you come back with a vengence and show what you're made of.

3.3 after my first year... three C's in undergrad, and i'm in with a 31 on my MCAT. don't worry about it.

in what classes did you get these grades?

C's in Gen Chem I, Precalculus, and Biological Psychology
B- in Bio II

so yeah my science GPA took a while to bring up but it is very possible

my BCPM is 3.19

imagine how i feel at the moment after two rejections :(

I got an acceptance with what I consider to be a bad start and an upward trend:

Semester 1: 3.1 with a C in Calc I
Semester 2: 3.25 with an F in Calc II and a C in General Chem
Semester 3: 3.5
Semester 4: 3.375 with C+ in Orgo II
Semester 5: 3.9
Semester 6: 4.0
Semester 7: 3.688
Semester 8: 3.885

I ended up with a BCPM of 3.25, but the BCPM of only my last two years was a 3.80.