Anyone get into PCOM WITHOUT a committee letter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarathonsRcool

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi yall, i am very interested in pcom, but the school's LOR req are to have a committee letter (which my school didnt have) or recieve a letter from my adviser or dean of college, which i dont have and am already finished with undergrad living in another city. all i have are letters from my P.I, science professors,md and a few humanities professors. has anyone else been in my situation but were still granted an interview or acceptance??? thanks to anyone that can help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation as you. I am a post bac student and will get LOR from science professors but dont want to use my commitee since they meet april and oct of each semester. I dont want to wait for them before submitting my application.

I didnt use a committee letter, but instead contacted the dean from my undergrad school and it ended up working out for me. I too did a 3 year independent post bac program in science since my undergrad major was education. I knew the dean at the school of education fairly well, so I sent her an email explaining that i needed a LOR from the dean from my undergrad major and she happily wrote me one and submitted it to interfolio. It's not as big of a deal as you think it is to get the LOR's. Just contact your old deans, explain, and they will write you something decent I am sure. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same situation as you. I am a post bac student and will get LOR from science professors but dont want to use my commitee since they meet april and oct of each semester. I dont want to wait for them before submitting my application.

i have heard that they are VERY strict on this req, but i am looking for examples of people who actually got around it. i think out of all medical schools in the world, they may be the least understanding and have the most stringent requirments. its rediculous. i read some past posts on the subject and encountered someone who had been removed from thier undergrad for over 10 years, did all the science coursework in a post bac recently, but they STILL wanted a comitee letter/adviser letter from the undergrad school from over 10 years ago...amzing......

I didnt use a committee letter, but instead contacted the dean from my undergrad school and it ended up working out for me. I too did a 3 year independent post bac program in science since my undergrad major was education. I knew the dean at the school of education fairly well, so I sent her an email explaining that i needed a LOR from the dean from my undergrad major and she happily wrote me one and submitted it to interfolio. It's not as big of a deal as you think it is to get the LOR's. Just contact your old deans, explain, and they will write you something decent I am sure. Good luck.

im glad it all worked out for you. i dont know if its because of the size of my school (over 40 thousand students) but no one from my undergrad will return my emails...and if it werent for living a few hundred miles away from my undergrad, id walk right in there and kick my deans doors open demanding a letter. lol

im glad it all worked out for you. i dont know if its because of the size of my school (over 40 thousand students) but no one from my undergrad will return my emails...and if it werent for living a few hundred miles away from my undergrad, id walk right in there and kick my deans doors open demanding a letter. lol

yeah, well i did have an advantage there, going to a very small liberal arts college and being one of two male education majors in my field, but stay persistent! Keep calling, keep emailing, talk to a secretary and explain to her that you need some help, see if anyone is sympathetic to your cause. Even if the dean has no clue who you are, they will still write you a basic letter saying you graduated from their institution with a decent gpa, etc. Most colleges will do something like this to help an alum.

DO you think PCOM will accept a LOR from the pre-med committee from the school you are doing the post bac at, or does it have to be the school from where you got your bachelor's?

DO you think PCOM will accept a LOR from the pre-med committee from the school you are doing the post bac at, or does it have to be the school from where you got your bachelor's?
either will work. Go with which you think will be stronger. The science professors at my post bac didnt know me that well even though I did good in their classes, so i decided to go with my undergrad institution dean, knowing that she would remember me and maybe write something that stood out about me changing careers or something.

Yea, both PCOM's are very adamant about this letter (no matter how long ago you were at the school. You don't have to have a committee letter, but you have to have at least a letter from a pre-med advisor and another science professor's letter from your degree-granting undergrad. institution.

Wait, do you need a letter from the dean/advisor of your particular college (like the communication school at the university i went to) or from the university's pre-med advisors? Or either?

pre-med advisor/science advisor, you will have to check their website or call them to make sure what to do in the case you were not a science major

I didn't have a committee letter. They still let me use the pre-med advising office as a member of the alumni association, so I got lucky there. What I had was kind of a pseudo-committee-letter.

At my school (Texas), you sign up at the pre-med office, and then you are given a super-cheap Interfolio account. The pre-med office uploads this cover letter, which is basically a canned form letter that doesn't say anything about me, and then all my letters of recommendation are supposed to go in behind it on interfolio. So its like a packet that I put together myself, with a cover letter from a pre-med committee.

There probably isn't a school in the country, except maybe MSUCOM, who would need anything else from me.

i have heard that they are VERY strict on this req, but i am looking for examples of people who actually got around it. i think out of all medical schools in the world, they may be the least understanding and have the most stringent requirments. its rediculous. i read some past posts on the subject and encountered someone who had been removed from thier undergrad for over 10 years, did all the science coursework in a post bac recently, but they STILL wanted a comitee letter/adviser letter from the undergrad school from over 10 years ago...amzing......

I was in this boat. They wanted a letter from the dean of my undergrad school from 12 years ago. Long story short I choose another school. A pity PCOM sounds like a good school but it wasn't worth the hassle.