Anyone get into UWSOM with a 3.6?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovelucy

This is Lucy.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received an acceptance from University of Washington with a science GPA of 3.6? I have an overall GPA of 3.85, but my science is a little lower and I am getting worried about my application for the 2008 application cycle. The avg. science GPA at UW is a 3.7.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't actually know 100% for sure (however I do remember one SDN poster in particular with a devastatingly low science GPA who got in to UW)

but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're fine as long as you're not a pod-person from pluto.

Keep in mind that 3.7 is just the average and NOT the cut-off point. They certainly let in folks with 3.9's and 4.0's so it's safe to assume they let in some folks with 3.5's. If you're a little lower end on GPA, then try to get a higher-than-their-average MCAT to compensate. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do a search on MDApplicants.com. It's not a perfect source, but it should give you a general idea.

Good luck! :luck:

Will you be an IS or OOS applicant?

Thankfully, I am an instate applicant. I am hoping that helps. UW is my number one choice!

The average GPA and MCAT scores are just that "averages". I had a below average MCAT and am looking good to get in this year. You have to make up for it in other areas (like your overall GPA). Also think about scoring well on your MCAT, volunteer, shadow, research and show that you're interested in medicine in general. It looks like the UW wants good people and good future doctors rather than perfect numbers. Keep your head up and keep trying hard, you'll do fine. Good luck, it's always good to hear someone enthusiastic about the UWSOM.

I think the whole UW admissions process is pretty insane. I have had friends with stellar stats and ECs not get in and friends with below average stats (still stellar ECs) get in. Since UW pretty much gives an interview to the majority of WA residents, I say rock your interview. It seems like they place a lot of emphasis on this.

Good luck with the process :luck::luck::luck:

once you get that interview, almost everything hinges on how you perform in that room. Oh, and its ok to take the cookie. I did and am sittin happy with an acceptance.

once you get that interview, almost everything hinges on how you perform in that room. Oh, and its ok to take the cookie. I did and am sittin happy with an acceptance.

Funny about the cookie thing. When I was offered a cookie, one of the interviewers said that my acceptance is not determined on whether I take the cookie or not (with a sinister grin). Then she giggled.

I also ate the cookie. I love cookies so there was really no hesitation on my part.

I second what everyone else is saying about the GPA, its just an average. My science GPA was definitely below their average, and I'm (at this point) very high up on the waitlist and hopefully will be accepted soon. Plus, you have to factor in the weighted way that UW calculates GPA, that actually made a big difference in mine.

As for the cookie, I've heard so much about it. Do you guys really think it has meaning? They didn't ask me if I wanted one until I was on my way out the door. And then when I took one, they said "Go ahead and take a few if you want!" I was thinking, "Dang, maybe they are just trying to make me feel better about myself". Then I convinced myself that it was just a cookie and they were just being nice.

you could always search on mdapplicants.com....

I second what everyone else is saying about the GPA, its just an average. My science GPA was definitely below their average, and I'm (at this point) very high up on the waitlist and hopefully will be accepted soon. Plus, you have to factor in the weighted way that UW calculates GPA, that actually made a big difference in mine.

As for the cookie, I've heard so much about it. Do you guys really think it has meaning? They didn't ask me if I wanted one until I was on my way out the door. And then when I took one, they said "Go ahead and take a few if you want!" I was thinking, "Dang, maybe they are just trying to make me feel better about myself". Then I convinced myself that it was just a cookie and they were just being nice.

When I had my interview I had never heard anything about the cookie thing that goes on at the interview. At one point I had been grilled on some really tricky ethics questions and was told I had just one more ethics question to go, so I said sure, but joked that maybe I should have a cookie first. They laughed, but still gave me the question.:laugh:

Seriously, you need to be on your A game for the interview. I personally felt that I did really poorly at my interview, and was really surprised to find out that I was placed on the ranked list (just 4 more spots to go! dreambig, we're almost there!)

To the OP: good luck this coming cycle.:luck:

You just have to want it, honey.