anyone get rejected from SINAI yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phatty925

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i called mt sinai today to check up on the status of my app and the lady said "let's see....yes, your file is complete...and let me se (reading her computer screen), you should be hearing from us soon, okay?"

i tried not to read into it too much but i'm wondering if that means a rejection or an interview! so was wondering if anyone has gotten a rejection letter from sinai yet. and do their interview invites come via email or snail mail?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, just don't read too much into it. It could mean that your file was currently under review and she doesn't even know the outcome yet.

My MSSM interview invite came via email.

Good luck!

congrats on the invite cali caliente....

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by phatty925
i called mt sinai today to check up on the status of my app and the lady said "let's see....yes, your file is complete...and let me se (reading her computer screen), you should be hearing from us soon, okay?"

i tried not to read into it too much but i'm wondering if that means a rejection or an interview! so was wondering if anyone has gotten a rejection letter from sinai yet. and do their interview invites come via email or snail mail?

I don't think Sinai rejects this early. I also got my invite via email .

i haven't heard a word, i know im complete but no word. im gonna call tomorrow.

Originally posted by theDr.
i haven't heard a word, i know im complete but no word. im gonna call tomorrow.

Sinai only does status checks Mondays and Wednesday 2-4. They won't tell you anything if you call tomorrow.

for everyone just left in silence now with mssm, when was your application complete? thanx

1ST HALF OF SEPT...AROUND THEN

I was complete at about the end of August and my application is still in review.

I was complete early september, got an interview invite first week of october.

I was planning on applying to mt. sinai until they wanted me to jump through hoops regarding their chemistry requirements. Anyone here from UCLA that applied to mt. sinai?

At UCLA we only have 2 quarters of G chem and when i talked to dean of admissions over the phone he told me that i'd have to get someone in our chem department to email them, and then they would *consider* looking at my application. Of course our chem dept said they wouldn't write the email. I probably could have argued more with the chem people but I was annoyed enough already with the whole situation. As if all the UCLA graduates now in medical school are hurting from not enough chemistry classes...

Sinai is an obnoxious school.

Originally posted by Tezzie
Sinai is an obnoxious school.

Uh whatever, I work for Sinai and consider it an awesome school and I'd be honored to go to Sinai.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Sinai is the *ONLY* school that i am aware of that says that where you went for undergrad matters. On the other hand look at the statements of WashU/Hopkins/Harvard and you will see that they invite everyone regardless of institution name to apply.

2) They are facing financial problems.

3) Just like Georgetown they think they are hot (not).

1) Sinai is the *ONLY* school that i am aware of that says that where you went for undergrad matters. On the other hand look at the statements of WashU/Hopkins/Harvard and you will see that they invite everyone regardless of institution name to apply.

Where does Sinai say that?

2) They are facing financial problems..

True they are, but their financial problems has no effect on the medical school. The medical students are treated extremely well and love being a part of Sinai. Plus, their financial problems are getting better and they'll hopefully be out of them soon.

3) Just like Georgetown they think they are hot (not). .

uh ok...

2) They are facing financial problems.

3) Just like Georgetown they think they are hot (not).

well, i was recently at sinai and i thought they were really amazing. i didn't go to a very prestigious undergrad and they interviewed me.

This is a naive statement to make, especially for an experienced sdn'er! Even if Sinai is the *ONLY* school that claims to take your undergrad into account, do you really believe that other schools don't? At least Sinai is open about the fact that some institutions are more rigorous than others. Ivy undergrad schools inbreed their own to Ivy med schools for a reason...

Flash

On the namebrand issue (god please let's not get into this again) i KNOW that WashU doesn't put too much emphasis on it. Sinai on the other hand does.

I can very easily describe my interview experience at Sinai with a 4 letter word : H-E-L-L! What can i talk about...the waiting, the lame questions, how rude the interviewers were, the Dean talking to us for just a few mins, etc...

Sinai is an OK school. The only good thing about it is the money you spent for living in the area (~450$ a month is really nothing). The facilities that they rave about are NOT anything spectacular (just average) and tons of other schools are much better.

As far as the couple of students (ok maybe 4 students) that we got to meet, they all seemed "weird" to me. If you compare them to Vandy students you would notice HUGE differences.

Anyhow i applied to it just because i am from NY. I was expecting it to be better and maybe i got dissappointed. Thumbs up for the area...thumbs down for everything else.

As of right now (with a few west coast interviews left to go) it's the last school i would attend (with the exception of Georgetown).

"As far as the couple of students (ok maybe 4 students) that we got to meet, they all seemed "weird" to me. If you compare them to Vandy students you would notice HUGE differences."

that's a pretty obnoxious thing to say.

Originally posted by charik
I was planning on applying to mt. sinai until they wanted me to jump through hoops regarding their chemistry requirements. Anyone here from UCLA that applied to mt. sinai?

On that issue I'm very surprised. I'm assuming you took the Chem 14 series. I HAVEN'T heard that people got screwed over b/c of that, as most schools have experience with UCLA's system and know that the chem dept just squeeze G-Chem and O-Chem into 4 quarters of lecture and 2 quarters of lab.

I took the Chem 20 series so I haven't had trouble so far. I think you should try ASKING Mount Sinai to check up UCLA's academic catalog or something instead.

Originally posted by sgilani
that's a pretty obnoxious thing to say.

yeah, i don't like Tezzie either.

(she has a superiority complex)

On the namebrand issue (god please let's not get into this again) i KNOW that WashU doesn't put too much emphasis on it. Sinai on the other hand does.

I'm still waiting for the proof. Where does it say that Sinai places emphasis on what school you went to?

I can very easily describe my interview experience at Sinai with a 4 letter word : H-E-L-L! What can i talk about...the waiting, the lame questions, how rude the interviewers were, the Dean talking to us for just a few mins, etc...

Sinai is an OK school. The only good thing about it is the money you spent for living in the area (~450$ a month is really nothing). The facilities that they rave about are NOT anything spectacular (just average) and tons of other schools are much better.

Wow, Sinai is now an OK school? A step up from obnoxious?

I've been at Sinai for a year now and I can honestly say that Sinai has great facilities. There are some really great and hard working faculty that I've had the pleasure to work with.

450 dollars a month living near Sinai? Heh, you must be dreaming. The cost for living in Sinai's dorm is 500 dollars/month alone. Oh wait a minute, this is the same girl who says milk costs 10 bucks in NYC?

As far as the couple of students (ok maybe 4 students) that we got to meet, they all seemed "weird" to me. If you compare them to Vandy students you would notice HUGE differences.

Huge difference = Vandy is 95% white and Sinai isn't? Sinai has more diversity in one floor of it's hospital then Vandy has in the entire school and probably the entire area.

I've sat on the medical school lectures at Sinai and talked with many of the medical students and like I've said before, they love it at Sinai. Maybe they were wierd to you because they were down to earth people and were more worried about becoming good doctors then getting that Yale MBA (as you mentioned in an earlier post) to go along with that Yale MD?

Anyhow i applied to it just because i am from NY. I was expecting it to be better and maybe i got dissappointed. Thumbs up for the area...thumbs down for everything else.

As of right now (with a few west coast interviews left to go) it's the last school i would attend (with the exception of Georgetown).

Thumbs up to Sinai, thumbs down to you and your condescending attitude. I am quite surprised by such obnoxious behaviour, but then again maybe not. There are alot of obnoxious people on internet forums who blabber away bullcrap because they can get away with it.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get into some great schools and it's nice to know that Sinai won't be one that you will be going to since it's so low on your list.

Originally posted by aqs200
I'm still waiting for the proof. Where does it say that Sinai places emphasis on what school you went to?

Oh i am so sorry i didn't take a tape recorder with me so i can have proof for you. Had i known before hand and since you are such an important person in my life i would have made sure that i recorded everything so i can provide proof for you.

Actually it was during the interview that one of the interviewers question in a condensending manner why i took some classes at a community college. Although i explained the reasons why (which btw made both the Hopkins and Yale interviewers to praise me about it) , he went on to say how stupid it was of me.

Wow, Sinai is now an OK school? A step up from obnoxious?

I've been at Sinai for a year now and I can honestly say that Sinai has great facilities. There are some really great and hard working faculty that I've had the pleasure to work with.

Really? Compared to what and which other places? How did you came to the conclusion that Sinai has "great" facilities?

450 dollars a month living near Sinai? Heh, you must be dreaming. The cost for living in Sinai's dorm is 500 dollars/month alone. Oh wait a minute, this is the same girl who says milk costs 10 bucks in NYC?

I said ~450 for rent in the area is nothing. I guess ~450 and 500 a month have huge differences. After all ~50 $ can make you or break you (esp in NY).

Oh and in case you didn't read properly i said it was a figure of speech. You need to contact your highschool English teacher ASAP and retake the courses. Good luck on VR cause you will badly need it.

Huge difference = Vandy is 95% white and Sinai isn't? Sinai has more diversity in one floor of it's hospital then Vandy has in the entire school and probably the entire area.

I've sat on the medical school lectures at Sinai and talked with many of the medical students and like I've said before, they love it at Sinai. Maybe they were wierd to you because they were down to earth people and were more worried about becoming good doctors then getting that Yale MBA (as you mentioned in an earlier post) to go along with that Yale MD?

You really are clueless aren't you? I said the students at Sinai were weird and their behaviour truly was. Wtf does that have anything to do with Vanderbilts diversity numbers? You want a different school... fine ... UChicago.

The students at Sinai made it sound as if they were taking underwater basket weaving. I don't care for people who say "oh i go to med school and i study 95% of my time" but at the same time i find people who claim that they have *plenty* of time to do things during med school weird. That's why i was compering Vanderbilt to Sinai. You want something closer to Sinais pass/fail system? Then look no further than Chicago. While i was interviewing there we were told that the students were in class from 8-5. How come Sinai gives you sooo much time?

Oh and is nice to see you forming stupid theories. So according to you everyone who decides to go after a dual degree then they are gonna make bad doctors. Hell why should i even become a doctor. I should have gone to Harvard, finish a basic BA and then work for Bain. 3 years later i would find myself at Wharton and IB.
Why on earth did i put myself through the rigorous WashU science courses and busted my ass to do research when all i care about is the moneymaking MBA.

Thumbs up to Sinai, thumbs down to you and your condescending attitude. I am quite surprised by such obnoxious behaviour, but then again maybe not. There are alot of obnoxious people on internet forums who blabber away bullcrap because they can get away with it.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get into some great schools and it's nice to know that Sinai won't be one that you will be going to since it's so low on your list.

Condenscending for presenting the way things actually are? I am sorry that you are so much in love with your place of employment, that it has made you blind from truth.

Oh and it's also nice to see YOU comment on who posts BS on the internet and who doesn't. It is actually extremely funny because you have said the word "great" at least 5 times, yet you know jack s**t about anything.

Tell me mr/mrs smart what makes sinai great? Is it :

a) The match list? Cause it can't be compared to Duke/Harvard/Hopkins/WashU/Mayo

b) The intl opportunities during 4th year? Cause it can't be compared to Columbia.

c) The great education in terms of tuition? Cause it can't be compared to Baylor.

d) The association with a great hospital? Cause it can't be compared to Barnes Jewish, Mass General or Hopkins!

e) The rigorous enviroment ? Cause it can't be compared to Dartmouth or Vanderbilt.

f) The opportunities for research? Cause it can't be compared to Harvard/Stanford/Hopkins.

g) The great tour for applicants? Cause it can't be compared to WashU

h) Maybe the great Dean? Cause it can't be compared to Chicago.

What makes Sinai stand out and give it it's "greatness" ?

Here is the deal : First go through the process yourself. Look at other places and then come back and tell us about how GREAT a place is. You try to compare and give credits for things you have no clue about.

Cheers

Uh-oh. Tezzie's in a tizzy.

I don't know. Tezzie seems to always be quick to snap and is uptight about certain things.

Just chillax Tezzie. It's all cool...;)

Dude, such angst! The Sinai adcom could've murdered your entire family, and you still wouldn't have slandered them so negatively. Maybe it's a personal thing... cheer up, it's a beautiful day outside guys!

Flash

i think sinai was awesome, but that's the purpose of going on these interviews. obviously tezzie and MS aren't a match ;) .

i havent gone to my MSSM interview yet, but even after tezzi's tiff, it is still my number one choice. there are several body parts id give up to go there.

Sheesh!

I am not pissed off at Sinai. It's just not for me. Yet when someone personally attacks me without logical basis then it's upsetting.

the dean at uchicago is a bastard.

Originally posted by TheFlash
This is a naive statement to make, especially for an experienced sdn'er! Even if Sinai is the *ONLY* school that claims to take your undergrad into account, do you really believe that other schools don't? At least Sinai is open about the fact that some institutions are more rigorous than others. Ivy undergrad schools inbreed their own to Ivy med schools for a reason...

Flash
Well, Tezzie, as much as I like ya on here, i kinda have to side with some of the other posters on this thread. if Sinai comes out and says where you went to undergrad does play a factor in your chances of admissions, I cant really blame them so much for not BSing people. Granted what your interviewer said to you was pretty mean spirited and inappropriate, maybe it was a "stress" interview, i dunno, i'm not here to speculate.

Do other schools consider where you went to undergrad? Absolutely. And I may have the closest thing to concrete proof you'll find posted on this site. Exhibit A is an internal memo from the stanford adcom that made its way onto sdn last year. I direct your attention to the second page, where "quality of school" is explicitly mentioned in the computer algorithm they use to screen people for secondaries and interviews. Its kinda strange that Wash U is mentioned as a school that doesn't consider where you went to undergrad, as at least when I interviewed there last year, I distinctly remember sitting through a long detailed explanation of their admissions process in which our applications would be shuttled off post interview into REGIONAL committees that would in fact evaluate the competitiveness of our undergraduate institution and course of study. Maybe that spiel has been omitted from the admissions talk this year, but it was pretty obvious to me they were interested in the rigor of your undergraduate experience.

The obvious caveat I acknowledge is that with a strong enough application and personal presentation, a student from the most unknown undergrad can work their way into the most elite schools, as evidenced by several of the MSTP students in my class coming from large state schools and low radar private institutions. But I think it would slightly disingenuous to say that undergrad plays absolutely no factor in applying to different med schools, especially at the top of the "prestige" ladder.

And not particularly directed at anyone, i think we could stand to take a few breaths and chill out in this thread. sitting around and attacking each others opinions on schools and saying "you/they suck" isnt really constructive dialogue. In the long run there are many great med schools out there, sinai included, that have different strengths and weaknesses. Sinai, Wash U, PCOM, Loma Linda, we're all trying to be docs right? :) less h8 people ;)

here's an olive branch :love:
olive%20branch.JPG

Oh i am so sorry i didn't take a tape recorder with me so i can have proof for you. Had i known before hand and since you are such an important person in my life i would have made sure that i recorded everything so i can provide proof for you.

Actually it was during the interview that one of the interviewers question in a condensending manner why i took some classes at a community college. Although i explained the reasons why (which btw made both the Hopkins and Yale interviewers to praise me about it) , he went on to say how stupid it was of me.

Uh, you mentioned that where you went to UNDERGRAD makes a difference, not where you took a few classes. There are lots of people who take classes at community classes for higher grades, which is what Sinai frowns upon.

Really? Compared to what and which other places? How did you came to the conclusion that Sinai has "great" facilities?

Uh, can't you read? I've said in an earlier post that I've been researching there for more then a year.

I said ~450 for rent in the area is nothing. I guess ~450 and 500 a month have huge differences. After all ~50 $ can make you or break you (esp in NY).

No, you said 450/month LIVING EXPENSES not dorm expenses. Changing your story ?

Oh and in case you didn't read properly i said it was a figure of speech. You need to contact your highschool English teacher ASAP and retake the courses. Good luck on VR cause you will badly need it.

Uh huh, attacking me to cover up your faults. And for your information, I've already taken the MCAT. Grow up.

You really are clueless aren't you? I said the students at Sinai were weird and their behaviour truly was.

Huh? Next time explicitly state that their behavior was wierd. I don't find their behaviour wierd at all - they are all quite happy there.

Wtf does that have anything to do with Vanderbilts diversity numbers? You want a different school... fine ... UChicago.

see above.

The students at Sinai made it sound as if they were taking underwater basket weaving. I don't care for people who say "oh i go to med school and i study 95% of my time" but at the same time i find people who claim that they have *plenty* of time to do things during med school weird. That's why i was compering Vanderbilt to Sinai. You want something closer to Sinais pass/fail system? Then look no further than Chicago. While i was interviewing there we were told that the students were in class from 8-5. How come Sinai gives you sooo much time?

Umm, people do have lives outside of Medical school Tezzie (ie. families, hobbies, etc)

Oh and is nice to see you forming stupid theories. So according to you everyone who decides to go after a dual degree then they are gonna make bad doctors. Hell why should i even become a doctor. I should have gone to Harvard, finish a basic BA and then work for Bain. 3 years later i would find myself at Wharton and IB.
Why on earth did i put myself through the rigorous WashU science courses and busted my ass to do research when all i care about is the moneymaking MBA.

Stupid theories? I don't see the connection between your "ass breaking research" leading to your desire to go to Yale for their Yale MBA.

Condenscending for presenting the way things actually are? I am sorry that you are so much in love with your place of employment, that it has made you blind from truth.

Huh huh, now when is it a bad thing to be loyal and take pride in the place you work?

Oh and it's also nice to see YOU comment on who posts BS on the internet and who doesn't. It is actually extremely funny because you have said the word "great" at least 5 times, yet you know jack s**t about anything.

I said great two times, can't you count?

Tell me mr/mrs smart what makes sinai great? Is it :

a) The match list? Cause it can't be compared to Duke/Harvard/Hopkins/WashU/Mayo

b) The intl opportunities during 4th year? Cause it can't be compared to Columbia.

c) The great education in terms of tuition? Cause it can't be compared to Baylor.

d) The association with a great hospital? Cause it can't be compared to Barnes Jewish, Mass General or Hopkins!

e) The rigorous enviroment ? Cause it can't be compared to Dartmouth or Vanderbilt.

f) The opportunities for research? Cause it can't be compared to Harvard/Stanford/Hopkins.

g) The great tour for applicants? Cause it can't be compared to WashU

h) Maybe the great Dean? Cause it can't be compared to Chicago.

What makes Sinai stand out and give it it's "greatness" ?

Here is the deal : First go through the process yourself. Look at other places and then come back and tell us about how GREAT a place is. You try to compare and give credits for things you have no clue about.

Cheers

Really Tezzie, grow up. Just because you had a bad experience at Sinai, its no reason to trash it.

DW as you already know i wasn't flaming the OP nor was i flaming Sinai. I was just calling a spade ... well a spade. My interview experience at Sinai was the worst so far. So yes i will admit that i am bitter towards the school because of it. Nevertheless, i am honest enough that even when i don't like something i will admit it's greatness (or lack of).

Let's not get into the pedigree discussion once again. We have talked about it so many times. The way though that the Sinai interviewer treated me because i took a few courses at a community college was wayyy out of line. Even if the schools policy was to discuss the "weak parts" of the application, i would think that that should happen in a polite manner. An educated person (an MD for that matter) should not be condescending nor go into an attack policy. The way that guy treated me was as if i had done the worst mistake of my life.

If we are to discuss namebrand though, let's discuss the fact that Sinai is NOT considered an elite school. So maybe they ought to go a little bit easier about their policies on people who took courses or finished their degrees at non elite schools.

I do believe that Sinai is not a great institution. The interviews were horrible and the entire experience was really bad. For a school that wants to consider themselves with such importance maybe they should spend more time on arranging the times for the interviews better and creating a better tour? After all elite schools are elite for a reason (anyone who has been interviewed at WashU will know what i am saying).

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and so am i :)

Tezzie,

despite your bad experience, i'm willing to bet you'll get accepted there anyway! :) but you can give your spot to me :D

DW as you already know i wasn't flaming the OP nor was i flaming Sinai. I was just calling a spade ... well a spade. My interview experience at Sinai was the worst so far. So yes i will admit that i am bitter towards the school because of it. Nevertheless, i am honest enough that even when i don't like something i will admit it's greatness (or lack of).

Let's not get into the pedigree discussion once again. We have talked about it so many times. The way though that the Sinai interviewer treated me because i took a few courses at a community college was wayyy out of line. Even if the schools policy was to discuss the "weak parts" of the application, i would think that that should happen in a polite manner. An educated person (an MD for that matter) should not be condescending nor go into an attack policy. The way that guy treated me was as if i had done the worst mistake of my life.

If we are to discuss namebrand though, let's discuss the fact that Sinai is NOT considered an elite school. So maybe they ought to go a little bit easier about their policies on people who took courses or finished their degrees at non elite schools.

I do believe that Sinai is not a great institution. The interviews were horrible and the entire experience was really bad. For a school that wants to consider themselves with such importance maybe they should spend more time on arranging the times for the interviews better and creating a better tour? After all elite schools are elite for a reason (anyone who has been interviewed at WashU will know what i am saying).

An educated person (an MD for that matter) should not be condescending
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: oh man, i cant breathe.....i'm sorry tezzie.....thats just one of those "wait till you get to med school" comments, and I'm only a first year, whew :laugh:

haha funny you say that about wash U, while the free room and pizza party were pretty sweet, my interviewer at Wash U was far and away the most obnoxious I met on the admissions trail, maybe one of the most obnoxious people I have met in my life. AND, part of my interview file had actually been mistapled/crisscrossed with someone else's file and i started getting questions about some random stuff on someone else's application that I had never heard of, like, dude, I never worked in health policy before (i'm not making this up, its all true :laugh: ). but its still a great school :love:

with that said, i'm going to go have dinner now :p

Let's just remember that we're all friends here after all. This is a supportve message board designed as a crutch to all of the unfortnate souls in the application process.

That being said, I'm very curious now... I recall that you had defended (or actually preferred) the SUNY's to higher ranked top 10 schools in a prior thread. I believe your argument was that many residents you've come across are from lesser known schools, yet still got the same residenices as the top school grads and were much happier and better off financially because of it. If you truly subscribe to this philosophy, why do you constantly cite top schools to prove their "eliteness" versus Mt. Sinai? It doesn't matter right? Arguing about "which school has the nicer dean" is just silly. :)

All accredited schools are good schools, so let's all try our best to become the best possible physicians we can be. What other people think about the schools we go to won't matter in the Operating Room.

Flash

Originally posted by TheFlash
Let's just remember that we're all friends here after all. This is a supportve message board designed as a crutch to all of the unfortnate souls in the application process.

That being said, I'm very curious now... I recall that you had defended (or actually preferred) the SUNY's to higher ranked top 10 schools in a prior thread. I believe your argument was that many residents you've come across are from lesser known schools, yet still got the same residenices as the top school grads and much happier and better off financially because of it. If you truly subscribe to this philosophy, why do you constantly cite top schools to prove their "eliteness" versus Mt. Sinai? It doesn't matter right? Arguing about "which school has the nicer dean" is just silly. :)

All accredited schools are good schools everyone, so let's all try our best to become the best possible physicians we can be. What other people think about the schools we go to won't matter in the Operating Room.

Flash

Well said Flash. I agree, this thread is getting silly. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions. Good luck everyone!