1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

anyone getting 12 or above in verbal

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by NewKidin2block, Aug 9, 2006.

1. NewKidin2block

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    anyone getting 12 or above on verbal in the actual MCAT. I just wondering what is your initial verbal score on 3R.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kikaku21

Kikaku21 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I seem to get 11 always.

I got a 12 on AAMC 9.

4. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    10 on 3R
    13 on August 20, 2005

5. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

11 on AAMC 8, 12 on AAMC 6R

9 on AAMC 3R (however that was taken 3 months ago before I had any sense of tactics)

6. letitgo

letitgo Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Like what kinds of tactics?

7. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

Proper annotating, not overly doing it, but really just doing it to make sure i read actively, watching out for extreme answers, and timing... I like to read a little slower than I intially did which makes me go back to the passage less...

Also focus has such a big role I think.... I've began to stop and look at the roof and count to 5 if I find sentences aren't really making sense or are blurring together... the small regroup seems to help a lot...

8. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Spend as much time, if not more, analyzing the question stems and answer choices as you do reading the passage.

9. coriannegirl

coriannegirl Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got a 13 on the real MCAT (CBT) and consistantly got 10-11 on most of the AAMC practice tests. I expected to do a little better on the real exam, though, because I work better under pressure.

10. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got a 13 on 3R and now have seemed to decrease to a 10-11.
    I dunno what happened and haven't changed any tactics or anything.

11. Knickerbocker

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I also got a 9 on 3R and worked up to a 12 on 6R. I'll be taking 8 next week.

To the original poster: My scores went up after doing a few Examkrackers full length verbal tests. The practice really helps. Also look what what you miss and learn to think like test makers. Knowing what they want helps a lot.

12. WanabeHealthnut

WanabeHealthnut Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got a 12 last august and got btwn a 9-11 on all AAMCs and Kaplan FL

13. BrownSugah

BrownSugah Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I think it really helps to be a voracious reader. Also, I've been reading a lot more scientific journals/articles for which it isn't really helpful to get stuck on the details... for the MCAT it really is about getting the main idea and not referring back to the passage as much because that's where you'll get tripped up.

Have scored >11's Verbal consistently on all my practice tests.

14. surag

surag kobayashi
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    agreed, you have to read a lot to have a certain aptitude. I'm a book worm so when i started out, i was around a 11 on the verbal. Right now I'm around 12 or 13. Hopefully I can get a 13 on the real deal...next week every day ill do one verbal test and thoroughly analyze it!

15. chewsnuffles

chewsnuffles is a series of tubes
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Got a 13 on the real thing, and its all luck folks...
    anecdotal evidence based on why I MIGHT have done well...
    a) sober for a long time before the test (like 2 months)
    b) 7 hrs sleep
    c) pounded a red bull
    d) none of the questions were over my head/intimidated me

the reason peoples scores change so much is all it takes is one passage to make you go from a 14 to a 10. Or more realistically 2, since there are some gimme questions on each passage, but still...
    I got like 10, 11, 12, 12, 11 or something on the practice tests...

ONE STRAT IS:
    Hurry through the questions, yes, do it. Hurry enough that you have 10 mins left at the end of the test and go back to the hardest passage, re-read, and answer questions you wern't sure of. I changed to answeres on the real thing... this might not work for everyone, but for me it worked like a charm
    Reasoning behind this... most of the passages you will understand well enough to get on the first read through.
    Other note: I never used any kind of tactics like "read the first and last paragraph"... that just confused me. Instead, read the whole damn passage, and TRY to be interested in it. They stopped taking passages from the new york phone book in 2002... :laugh:
    so most likely it will be SLIGHTLY interesting
    Good practice is reading scientific journals... after than anything is interesting... :luck:

16. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    interesting idea... I'm gonna have to try it out

17. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    11 on 3r -> 13 on Real Deal.

I never wrote anything down on the passage though I did make little annotations by the answer choices. I never found any of the "strategies" worked significantly for me though some of the ideas from EK (ie. not reading for detail but for flow) were stuff that I did anyway.

18. stiffany

stiffany Hurry up and wait...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I started with a 12 on AAMC 3R and ever since I've been stuck in the 11 range (with some 10s thanks to missing one too many questions thrown in for good measure). So, I'm increasing my verbal practicing this week and next in the hopes of moving back up to my original level. We'll see what happens...I'm hoping that my usual "Well, it's just a practice exam so whatever" guessing problems when differentiating between two answer choices will erase themselves come test day (since it's no longer a practice exam).

19. chewsnuffles

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Yeah... I never did it before the real thing either... I didn't finish the PS by about 4 questions so I was compleatly freaking out on the VR section.
    The thing about the april test I heard from some other people is that the PS took a little longer than normal, so it wasn't JUST me... but really I shouldn't be making excuses

Anyway, try it on a test or two. I really believe that most people only struggle on a passage or two... but analyze your own scores and go from there...

20. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

Not to break the rules...
    but come to think about 3R
    Without mentioning it specifically there was a passage... about a certain magic.... that was probably the worst passage I've ever come across in Verbal sections.... I've never been so oblivious to what I just read at the end of a passage...

I had a passage with TPR that use the word Rhetoric like 9 times in the first two sentences and I still wouldn't say it was as hard.

21. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i got a 12 on the real april after getting 9-12's on my practice sections

the real trick is confidence
    if you spend more than 30 seconds on a question, then you are wasting time. You already know what the answer is (or, what your answer is), you just can't convince yourself. Think about it this way....if you have to spend more than 30 seconds on a question, theres a good chance you will get it worng anyway. So why waste time. Be confident in what you think is the correct answer, pick it, and never go back. You can't become a better reader in 20 minutes, so what does going back when you're done do? You should be aiming for finishing 5-10 minutes early, but only as a precaution. On the real mcat, i closed my book with a few minutes to spare in verbal.

22. chewsnuffles

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    To get anything above an 11, you can't really "miss" ANY questions. You can just get a couple wrong because you got tricked, but u really gotta feel like you got the question right. Any time I scored over a 12 on a practice VR, I finished it knowing that I could argue the test makers on any quetsion I got wrong because my answer was atleast somewhat correct...
    I do see what you mean that alot of the time you trick yourself out of a right answer though...
    I still think for most people though there is one or two passages that deserve a second read through if you've made time at the end

23. Noeljan

Noeljan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I totally agree with you guys that didn't rely on "strategies" for verbal. My verbal on full lengths thus far has been decent usually an 11, and I got a 12 on AAMC 8 today. I really don't do anything besides read the passage, try and get interested and answer the questions. I know a lot of people from mcat class and various friends that are soooo concerned with finding the perfect strategy. I find it really odd that they waste so much energy on that. I think if people focused more on just reading the passage they would find them easier. I do feel there is some luck though in verbal anwhere from 10 and up bc it is random the passages you get, and once in a while some vocab i suppose in a passage.

24. TheHunter

TheHunter Murdering the kitties.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    14 on 3R. But then again 3R is by far the worst indicator of your actual performance.

Strategies *sometimes* works. Their effectiveness varies from person to person and from passage to passage. Don't be quick to dismiss them, but don't rely on them either. Just know them and know when to use them.

25. RubberToe

RubberToe Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i've seen on SDN that there is a correlation between EK 1001 VR passages and AAMC VR... but that has NOT been the case with me. My highest score with EK is 9 and I consistently get 8s, but with AAMC I keep getting 6s... i got an 8 on the first AAMC MCAT I took, it was 5R, but after that I keep getting 6s... I'm so close to loosing hope with VR... ANY ADVICE? Thanks in advance. :) I would be on cloud 9 if I got nearly as close as you guys are getting... man, a 12 would be the best thing that happened to me, ever. That's beyond my wildest dreams... The highest I got on PS is 11 and on BS is 9. So, if I could be like you guys and get any where close to a 10 I would be the happiest person on Earth. I would be just like all the other SDNers; getting mid to high 30s and not being satisfied... hahaha, I can only imagine. Good luck to all of you :luck:

SDN is awesome!

26. pufferfish

pufferfish Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, same here and don't worry about it. you don't know if half these members are truly getting those practice scores or not. even in real experience, i heard a chick in my kaplan class say she got a 28 on her last test, proceeded to drop her score report on the floor while me, OF ALL PEOPLE, was walking through her crew (and picked it up for her)...let me tell you...it was no 28 (less)

just do this for yourself. if it doesn't work come october, change your strategy for next year. everyone at our stage "sub-par boo boo below 30" considers throwing in the towel; i have numerous times. but medicine is what i want to do, so that is what grounds me. oh and buy the msar based on median scores, then research average scores. you'll realize sub-30's have hope. :love: and :luck:

27. legobikes

legobikes bikes made of lego
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My verbal scores so far:

3R: 11
    4R: 9
    5R: 12 (just one question less than a 13)

28. chewsnuffles

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I got my ass handed to me on 4R as well.
    OH, and getting a 14 on 3R, even though 3R is a bad indication of future sucess, a 14 IS STILL DAMN GOOD! You won't get below 12 on the real thing even if you choke, almost gurenteed.

Finally, I love that 3R is the only one available for the "normal, non SDN crowd" to take for free... they think they will do great on the MCAT's and then get owned.
    Actually, I think its pretty poor of those test people to post the easiest test, but whatever, more money for them from re-takes...