Anyone getting a dual degree? (MPH, MBA, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CleverThought

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

So, in my experiences and conversations with current dentists is that what dental schools lack in giving students a solid business background. From their perspective, business education is nonexistent.

Given this information, I've been toying around with the idea of doing a MBA during my dental education - something slow (one class at a time) and mostly, if not all, online directed.

I know many schools, including mine, offer some dual degrees with DDS. Are any of you considering doing a dual degree program? Which program?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd consider an MPH or MBA if it didn't keep me in dental school longer than 4 years and didn't have extra tuition costs. But I don't know if these exist at any dental schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd consider an MPH or MBA if it didn't keep me in dental school longer than 4 years and didn't have extra tuition costs. But I don't know if these exist at any dental schools.
At my interview, an MPH seemed to be able to be done in the 4 years - or that is at least the impression I got at the interview. The cost, however, is always going to be there.

I'm currently trying to find on more info on an MBA - it it would keep me in any long then I wouldn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considered the MPH, but concluded I'm better served to spend that time tackling that vast material that dental school alone entails.

My concern with MBAs is that you really don't know anything until you're in a real setting. The extra letters after your name don't just magically work. That sort applies to everything.

MWU=$$$ so no one will care about this next part, but they get pretty hardcore with practice management and human behavior they say. The clinic being modeled in a private practice sort of way is supposed to help. Gary Takacs started this year. I've had limited exposure so far, but given his background, he seems very resourceful. 3rd and 4th gets more into business stuff. One of the pre-clinical faculty calls it a mini-MBA. I assume that's far-fetched, but he's also pretty sharp with the business side of things. All faulty has been in private practice or still practices, so you get nuggets of info all the time, which is nice, but he seems to be more on top of it than average (business is my background so that's my take given all he's shared). But now I've heard alumni talk about it in the same way and it seems there really is quite a bit covered. I'll see how it goes when I hit 3rd/4th year and if it applies later in the real world. It's not a degree, but it's pretty clear that they're serious about it. Perhaps other schools are more into it than the old days too?

Last edited:
I was thinking about doing the mph at NYU if I end up going, you finish it concurrently with the DDS curriculum as a D4 and you apply for it as a D3

How hard is it to get into these DDS/MBA programs once you're in dental school?

I have been seriously considering getting an MPH, but I don't know how it will really help me in the long run because that's what my bachelor's degree is in and it hasn't helped me so far.