Anyone getting carpal tunnel from computerized mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spo01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been on the computer so much and taking practice MCAT tests that my wrists ache. Especially during the writing section. Is anyone else having this problem? I think I am going to get a wrist wrap at the store for like $8. I'm emailing AAMC to ask if its ok to wear these because knowing them they probably consider it another way to cheat.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried making the keyboard level with your hands when you're elbows are at a 90 degree angle?

I'm not sure if they'll let you wear those. I can see it going either way. Maybe wear them to your test center and if they tell you to take them off, do so. If not, then there you go.

Have you tried making the keyboard level with your hands when you're elbows are at a 90 degree angle?

I'm not sure if they'll let you wear those. I can see it going either way. Maybe wear them to your test center and if they tell you to take them off, do so. If not, then there you go.

I will have to try it I'm usually on my laptop. I also have fairly bad posture as I'm always leaning and bent, usually my muscles are tensed. I've tried massages and proper breathing to help. I'm also trying to consciousely remind myself to keep better posture and am stretching my hands/wrists.

I skip the writing section half the time since they don't get scored on the practice test anyway. I know how to write the essays and doing it over and over isn't really helping me much. I make sure to do them sometimes though so I'm used to the timing of the whole test, but other times it's just a waste.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the AAMC tells you no over the phone show up with the wrist wrap and tell them you have an injury(research it first). They might let you wear it anyways :D

If you are getting sore wrists then something is really messed up with how you are sitting. The vast majority of the test is simply using a mouse. There are people that sit in front of a computer for 8+ hours a day working away that don't have problems, so check out technique. Also, wrist pain does not always equal carpal tunnel...

Hmmm...I think I've gotten used to wasting away for hours and hours (sometimes 10+ hrs) per day on my computer since middle school. Used to be on the internet and AIM all day long sometimes. So now sitting there on the computer for 5hrs to take a test feels like a joke to me. I have no problems. Actually taking it on the computer keeps me more focused than taking a paper test. But I'm a computer addict, so having a computer in front of me probably keeps me calm. hahaha