Anyone give up a good job...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snipza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
... To pursue dentistry?

I'm calling out mainly to career changers that dropped what they were doing to get on the predent path.

I do pretty well for myself working in IT and, despite all of my research about the promising field of dentistry, I still find the while thing very scary. How do you get over giving up a good job for a 45-ish percent chance of admission? Crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

Gave up a good job overseas, doing something I loved to move back and take all my prerequisites. As much as I enjoyed my job, I couldn't see myself doing it the rest of my life. I'll be starting dental school in 4 months and couldn't be happier

Reactions: 1 users
I am a hygienist that quit my job to go to school to get a Bachelors Degree. I liked my job...didn't love it (hygiene can be repetitative) was making 60K per year...which is good money for an associates degree...but always wanted to be a dentist so told myself it's now or never..

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm giving up a great job in R&D for a major company to go back. I'm currently making 70k+ with bonus at the age of 24, but after doing the math my career ceiling will overall be higher with a degree in dentistry (albeit likely not by much). Having parents who help front the cost of school helps also make the decision easier...

I was a science teacher. Had my pre-reqs already, studied for the DAT over a summer break and took it towards the end of summer. Applied to dental school and got accepted in May off of a waitlist. Told my principal in June that I wouldn't be coming back for the following year because I'm changing careers.

I gave up a job in finance making good money on partner track to go back to school and take my pre reqs. I knew if I worked hard enough I would get in eventually. With loss income and school loans it was not a financial decision for me. It was one where I felt I would be happier as a dentist than as a consultant.

Transitioned from an engineer to the highly demanded dental field after hardly seeing any 50 plus years old colleagues hanging on still ...

I'm currently a medical laboratory scientist. It's a great job that pays well but I just can't see myself loading specimens onto analyzers day in and day out like someone on an assembly line. While there are tons of other opportunities for a med lab scientist ie molecular diagnostics, microbiology, red cross, cdc, research, etc, I need patient interaction. That's what I loved when I shadowed. The opportunity to build lasting relationships with my patients and see them grow and mature over the years is a big reason I'm switching. Plus I love the perfect blend of art and science dentistry offers me. It's the perfect career.

Reactions: 1 user
I left my job in banking/human resources. Earned my bachelor in business, and also an MBA while working. As soon as I finished, I just didn't feel like it was the right thing for me anymore. Did some research and some shadowing, and went with my gut feeling. So here I am, studying for a biology test tomorrow haha. Interesting thread by the way..it's good to know I'm not alone as a career changer!

Gave up a good (~1 million profit annually) family business (pass it to my brother, and got into trouble with the entire family). I like the money making aspect ( honestly, who doesn't?) but I was exhausted everyday, every month, for 4 years. My business grown and I was drained. I realized that was not my desire and I also enjoyed working in the dental office as an assistant when I was in the military.

Go back to school on my own, and started my undergrad again at 30 to pursue dental school. I am glad that I got in. If not, I would really disappointed.

Reactions: 2 users
English teacher/department chair here for seven years. Make currently 60k, and after dealing with students who suffered from dental neglect, I became inspired to shadow and go back to school to take prerequisites. Halfway through with the courses, so I definitely cannot wait to start my app process!!!

burger king. I was easily making easily 40k a year

Gave up a good (~1 million profit annually) family business (pass it to my brother, and got into trouble with the entire family). I like the money making aspect ( honestly, who doesn't?) but I was exhausted everyday, every month, for 4 years. My business grown and I was drained. I realized that was not my desire and I also enjoyed working in the dental office as an assistant when I was in the military.

Go back to school on my own, and started my undergrad again at 30 to pursue dental school. I am glad that I got in. If not, I would really disappointed.
heisenberg_by_bagboy-d5eyf7s.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Left a lucrative job in substitute teaching to head for greener pastures (hopefully) with dentistry

Well, I'm glad that there are so many others that are brave enough to pursue dentistry despite having established careers. The risk of rejection is so high but I suppose career changers will always have something to fall back on if the unimaginable happens.

This is my first job out of college, but if anytime was the right time to switch careers, it would be now. Thanks for the replies everyone. If anyone else wants to chime in, especially those who have switched careers and made it into school, that would be awesome.

Gave up a successful career in intelligence consulting. There was a brief period between leaving the field and going back to school, but I knew what I was looking for in a job. I grew up around dentistry and it seemed a very good fit for my life.