Anyone go to cal state Fullerton and get into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qteepa2t

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would be coming from out of state and I'm wondering if Fullerton, LA, or Riverside would be a good choice? I want to major in Spanish language most likely. I have heard people say it's not worth the money coming from out of state but I want to be in Los Angeles so bad I wouldn't even mind living near it. But at the same time I really don't want to hurt my chances of getting into dental school by going there. If I stayed in FL and went to UCF would I have better chances? (Don't want to go there if I stay in FL I'm trying to get in UF but UCF is guaranteed because I went to Valencia CC).
Please and thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess where you go as an undergrad does not matter much. If you get accepted into your state school, just stay there. You'll also save tons of money! It is absurd to pay top $$ to go to Cal State Fullerton or UC Riverside just because you want to live near LA.

I guess where you go as an undergrad does not matter much. If you get accepted into your state school, just stay there. You'll also save tons of money! It is absurd to pay top $$ to go to Cal State Fullerton or UC Riverside just because you want to live near LA.
Well the way I figured it out is that it's really only a $10k difference between UF and Cal State Fullerton and I thought hey since it's not that much different then I may as well be where I want to be.
I just didn't know if it is looked at as a "lower level" education just because it is a state university vs a university in another state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cal State system as a whole is quite decent in terms of quality of education, and Cal State Fullerton is not an exception. I know people who went to CSU schools (including Fullerton) and get accepted to dental schools just fine. Again, it does not matter where you go, your academic performance is what matters most. About the $10K difference, did you include living expenses? Rent, gas, and almost everything else in Southern California are expensive!

I would be coming from out of state and I'm wondering if Fullerton, LA, or Riverside would be a good choice? I want to major in Spanish language most likely. I have heard people say it's not worth the money coming from out of state but I want to be in Los Angeles so bad I wouldn't even mind living near it. But at the same time I really don't want to hurt my chances of getting into dental school by going there. If I stayed in FL and went to UCF would I have better chances? (Don't want to go there if I stay in FL I'm trying to get in UF but UCF is guaranteed because I went to Valencia CC).
Please and thank you!

You really need to visit these places before you get all amped up over this fantasy. These places are way different than you think.

The only reason I am picking on you is because I see myself 5 years ago in your post. Trying to break away from your home area and go to the amazing california. I did exactly that and I would never live in California again, especially Fullerton or riverside. The idea is so romantic but the reality is far from it. Take my word on it and visit before you jump.

Reactions: 3 users
You really need to visit these places before you get all amped up over this fantasy. These places are way different than you think.

The only reason I am picking on you is because I see myself 5 years ago in your post. Trying to break away from your home area and go to the amazing california. I did exactly that and I would never live in California again, especially Fullerton or riverside. The idea is so romantic but the reality is far from it. Take my word on it and visit before you jump.
Don't worry I definitely appreciate it and plan on visiting. But, I was wondering what was it that made you hate it? The people? Cost of living?
Also, is Fullerton safe? OR is it ghetto?

california is amazing?

sorry but no. I've immigrated here and lived with my family for 8 years here but california is too crowded, you will see a lot of poor people struggling to make end needs everyday.

Cal State system as a whole is quite decent in terms of quality of education, and Cal State Fullerton is not an exception. I know people who went to CSU schools (including Fullerton) and get accepted to dental schools just fine. Again, it does not matter where you go, your academic performance is what matters most. About the $10K difference, did you include living expenses? Rent, gas, and almost everything else in Southern California are expensive!
Oh good and I included the housing (room/board) at both schools and the fact that I'll be working as well as going to school so I could take care of other living expenses like gas and so forth. But FL has a pretty high cost of living too. I know people who talk about FL the way everyone talks about CA.

california is amazing?

sorry but no. I've immigrated here and lived with my family for 8 years here but california is too crowded, you will see a lot of poor people struggling to make end needs everyday.
I see the same in FL

Where you go doesn't matter. I went to Old Dominion University and I'm starting d school at Pitt in just a few weeks

Don't worry I definitely appreciate it and plan on visiting. But, I was wondering what was it that made you hate it? The people? Cost of living?
Also, is Fullerton safe? OR is it ghetto?

california is amazing?

Thats the reason.

Just imagine yourself one little ant in a huge ant hill. That's exactly what it feels like.