Anyone go to sleep early and wake up early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In undergrad I have gone to bed around 830-9pm and wake up around 3-4ish to continue studying. It seemed to help with my memory and I was able to get a lot more done in those 5 hrs before class in the morning, than I could coming back to my dorm room after a long day of classes and force myself to study. Is it possible to do something like this in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

yup....studying after 9-10 pm just doesn't work for me. As much as I hate mornings, I am much more productive then. Getting up early worked well for me first year. I would save the 3-4 am stuff for the morning before tests though...more like 5ish on normal days. It is easier to go out and be social in the evenings if you study in the mornings.

I'll be doing the same. I wake up at 5am, spend 30 min reading the newspaper since i dont have a TV, then study til class starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just skip class!!!!! You can sleep until 10am get up, drink some coffee, eat a lesiurely breakfast, and then get out the books and study until lunch, break for lunch and then study until dinner. If you feel the need to study after dinner then go for it, otherwise chill, and enjoy the first 2 years of med school. :)

Hard to do when your school is all PBL and attendence is required :p

Bed at 8:00 pm and get up at 4:00 am. Exam week it can shift to maybe, bed at 6:00 pm and get up at 2:00 am. That way I have plenty of quiet time to study before class. I am not good coming home all frazzled after class and trying to study in the pm. I like the quiet of the early morning and watching the sun come up.

I think i just enjoy waking up early with a glass of warm tea :) I am much more focused in the early AM. oh and the sun is nice too :p

Ya'll are nuts.

My thoughts exactly.
If it's anything I usually goto bed around 12ish , and then up @ 6.
Not me and this early morning studying at all. I tried it once, and I was too sleepy to get anything done.

I guess for me it is just making the most out of my time. We all have 24hrs a day to get things done, so there is no way to change that. The fact that every hour before midnight is worth double the amount of sleep, I can theoretically get what I need to get done and feel rested without running out of time. My professor told me about this experiment that was done in a small midwest town. The researchers had the town go to bed around 8-9 pm when the sun had set. After a week, all the stores were opening around 4-5am since everyone was so well rested and didn't have anything else to do. I always thought I was a night person as well, but after trying to go to bed earlier I saw how much more I could get done and how my quality of life increased.

But it's more fun studying at night!

PiccoloPlaya said:
But it's more fun studying at night when it's quiet out, you can concentrate, and your next door neighbors are having loud sex screaming **** me in the *** baby!
Sorry, I'll tell the ladies to keep it down next time.