1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Anyone going MD-PHD.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MysticHealer, Apr 7, 2002.

1. MysticHealer

MysticHealer Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm considering going Md-PHD I was just wodnering if anyone is in this same boat?
    We don't have to take the GRE? do we? I have 1 and a 1/2 years of reserch under my belt and will have 3 when i graduate.
    The long haul dosen't scare me.... but maybe it should. Does any one know it I'd stand better in MD-PHD crowd witha 3.5,V9,PS11,W:pBS10
    than in a MD pool?
    Thanks for responding.....(please do)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chemman

chemman Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,

I'm not sure how the GPA would fit in but I had a MCAT score of 30 and 3 years of research experience and I had no real problems being accepted into a MD/PhD program. My GPA was 3.9 though. The GRE is usually not needed but is recommended for some schools. Getting in for the straight MD program would be easier. The MSTP very competitive. You may consider applying to MD for harder schools and MSTP for easier ones. In most medical schools' MD programs, you can usually apply for the MSTP program after the first two years of med. school anyway. I am not saying you are not competitive enough but just telling you your options. You might want to ask your question in the ?MSTP Boulevard? topic board as well.

Look into both paths to becoming a MD/PhD and Good Luck.

-ChemMan :)

4. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I may be reapplying next year MD/PhD. I haven't precisely decided yet.

At any rate, there is a difference between MD/PhD programs and MSTP programs. There are only about 30 MSTP programs in the country. These schools provide full funding (no tuition, and a living allowance) to accepted students. They are very competitive. I'm not saying you don't have a shot, because this process is very random, but most applicants will have a GPA above 3.5. But it's really hard to tell! Usually you would apply to these programs when you apply to medical schools.

MD/PhD programs are available at most schools. You will probably get full funding for your PhD years, but you will have to pay for your MD portion of your degree. You'll apply to the MD/PhD program after your first or second year of medical school, and I don't think it is usually that hard to get into.

Maybe we need an MSTP Boulevard 2003 thread? :)

Anyway, good luck!