anyone going to JHU revisit weekend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cornelius

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

i was wondering if anyone out there is planning on going to the Hopkins revisit thing next week. i haven't been on SDN long so i don't really know anyone, but it sounds like a bunch of you guys have gotten in/are planning on going in the fall? i'm really curious, hoping i can start matching some faces to names.

cornelius

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Cornelius, I'll be there. My host just got in contact with me tonight. Sounds like it will be a fun time! Anyone else planning on being there?

Me! Me! My husband and I will be there. Looking forward to it.

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool! Anyone else planning on going? I know there were a few other Hopkins accepts hanging around SDN.

Do any of you guys know whether or not you are going to Hopkins for sure next year? I'm pretty sure I am - I'm going to the 2nd visit to kind of make sure that this is where I want to be for four years.

Hello,

I'll be there too! :)

I've been reading SDN for a little while now, but when I saw this thread, I decided it was time for my first post!

VW--I PM'd you a few weeks ago to ask you about how long it took for Hopkins to notify you...I'm happy to report that though I had a long wait, things turned out well! :D

I'm also pretty sure I will be going to Hopkins next year, but I think next weekend will be very informative.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

*Nonami*

I'm coming too. Looking forward to 2nd look!

hi all... i just found this site... it seems kind of neat... anyway, i plan on going to 2nd look at hopkins as well... not sure if i'll end up there, as i'm also thinking about penn... anyone else trying to decide between these two?... i'll probably go wherever i get a better aid package, as i don't really have any serious preferences for one school over the other... they both seem like cool places to learn medicine, and i met fascinating students at both... anyway, i'm boring myself, so i should say that i'm super pumped to meet you all... i can't imagine much that's more exciting than meeting future classmates... be well and i hope to cross paths with you!

Originally posted by Nonami
happy to report that though I had a long wait, things turned out well! :D

:clap: Yea, Nonami!

Re: whether it's JHU for sure, earlier this week, Pitt told me that they are about to offer me a full scholarship, which has me thinking. No question that I prefer Hopkins, but that's such a huge difference in price ... I need time to think about that one.

Shikantaza--Penn was my second choice, and both schools had a similar feel in my opinion. If you are interested in taking courses outside of medicine (e.g., law or business, but not necessarily for JD or MBA), Penn is really great for that. I think the Hopkins clinical training is superior. I am interested in E-Med, and the JHMI ED is so much nicer than HUP's--at HUP, you get treated in the hall unless you are really injured or need an awkward physical exam.

wow, it sounds like you guys have some tough choices ahead of you! big-time congratulations and best of luck! :clap:

i'm pretty certain that i'll be at hopkins next year, and i'm definitely looking forward to meeting you guys. anyone else signed up to play capture the flag with the M1's?

cornelius

VienneseWaltz... that's interesting to hear about the EM department, as i'm also thinking that's something i may like to do (i have an older brother that's going into it and we have similar personalities)... is it that the facilities are better at hopkins, or does the department just have a better reputation overall?... since you mentioned law and business, as an aside... my one law professor (who used to be a big, big, big shot lawyer) here at school says that you have to enjoy prostituting yourself to take any interest in law or the corporate world, and encourages those that don't to "get out of my f****** class"... being inherently suspicious of the intentions of all those with an interest in medicine, he made me take an oath (so help me god), swearing, in the affirmative, that indeed, "i am a *****," just to be allowed to stay in the class... he's a funny, funny man... anyway, congrats on the pitt scholarship!!... that's a tough choice, a nice tough choice... i spent five weeks at a summer healthcare program at pitt a couple of years ago and absolutely loved the whole atmosphere surrounding the school of medicine and the area in general, but hopkins is a toughee to turn down... out of curiosity where will your husband be next year?... i would try to bargain hopkins down in price, as i hear that that's effective at many schools

Hi all.

As one of the organizers of the Revisit weekend - I am glad to see that so many of you are planning on coming. :clap: :D :clap: :D

We hope that you will have a great time getting to know more about Hopkins, Baltimore, and your (potential) future classmates!

Please come armed with any questions/concerns that you may have - we want to make sure that your decision about which school to head off to for the next four years is fully informed - and that if you DO choose Hopkins, that it is for all of the "right" reasons.

Rest up before you get here and be ready for what (we hope) will be a memorable weekend!

We look forward to seeing you soon,

Jessica (and the rest of the Revisit Weekend Planning Committee)

PS- if you are staying with a student host and they have not contacted you as of yet - please don't be terribly alarmed... we have our Neuro/Psych finals coming up on Mon/Tues, but if you have any ?s or concerns that can't wait 'till Revisit - please don't hesitate to contact me (e-mail is better b/c hardly any of my classmates/former SDNers come here anymore :( [email protected])

Originally posted by shikantaza
that's interesting to hear about the EM department, is it that the facilities are better at hopkins, or does the department just have a better reputation overall?

Both. The facilities definitely are nicer, and I don't know how the departments rank, but I would imagine Hopkins is higher. And I don't see how HUP escapes what must be a flaming HIPAA violation ...

Funny about your law professor. I am interested in understanding some law basics, for health policy purposes ... one of these days I might try to take some classes or do an MLS somewhere.

There's no real downside to this decision, but it's a tough one. The job market in my husband's field is better in Baltimore, but Pittsburgh is safer and the cost of living is lower. He originally preferred Baltimore, but he's doing some more thinking, too.

cornelius... capture the flag??... i say yes but my girlfriend says no... she's making me go to the aquarium... and no, i'm not whipped, or so i tell myself frequently :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Shikantaza, I'm in the same boat. I'm like, "Hey, capture-the-flag," and my husband's like, "Hey, National Aquarium, and I'm the one who has to drive so that you can grade papers on the way up ..." :p Eh, well, what can you do? :laugh:

cornelius... capture the flag??... i say yes but my girlfriend says no... she's making me go to the aquarium... and no, i'm not whipped, or so i tell myself frequently :)

:laugh: Don't worry, I also said I was going to the aquarium. They both sound fun though - I might switch depending on what other people are doing.

VW, what a tough - but great - situation to be in! It's definitely hard to turn down a full ride, especially to a school like Pitt. Let us know what you decide.

aw man... it's looking like it'll just be me vs. the M1's then, haha :laugh:

the aquarium really is a great place - i'm sure you guys will have a ton of fun. i grew up in maryland and i totally loved going there as a kid. be sure to catch the dolphin show!

i actually had no idea we could bring significant others to the revisit weekend - i'd originally thought of asking my boyfriend to come along, but then just decided "eh." now that i know, i have to admit my reaction is... still pretty much the same. haha oh well.

I'm playing capture the flag!

hey guys and gals

let me join jess in congratulating you and welcoming you to hopkins! second look weekend will be a blast, make sure y'all come and see us perform at the first-year show... its gonna rock (basically, we're going to make fools of ourselves)

anyways, i'll see y'all soon... enjoy all of your second look weekends, you've earned it (and don't worry, with the kinds of schools y'all have been mentioning, you CAN'T make a bad decision... so relax)!

remain well
swaroop

hopkins, ms I

to those who went -- how was it?!?!

it was so much fun! exhausting, but i had a blast. about 100 people showed up - it was all really informal, just people meeting other people and a lot of interaction with the M1's. they had just finished a test so they were definitely in partying mode, and i think a lot of us were really surprised. they put on their first-year show and pretty much spent the weekend taking us out and showing us a good time, baltimore-style. it was really clear that everyone liked each other, got along well and had a ton of fun in everything they did. i know some of us came in kind of concerned about the competitive all-academics rep, but this did wonders for dispelling those worries. this year's prospectives were all pretty cool too, so things are looking great for the fall. don't worry about missing anything though, they said we do a lot more at orientation (with a whole new batch from waitlist too) so there are plenty of chances to get acquainted with the people and the area. hope to see you there!

hey cornelius, thanks a lot. i'm bummed i missed it, but i'm glad to hear it was a good time.

I agree with everything Cornelius said. I think a lot of people who were not sure whether or not they were going to JHU for any number of reasons are fairly convinced that they'll be there in the fall now. I was actually surprised by the number of prospectives I met who were almost positive that they were going to be at Hopkins in the fall.

So let's sort this out...how many of you lovely people did I meet this weekend? As far as I know, I was the only person there from USC (Southern Cal), so that will tell you who I am. :D

Maybe we should start an official Hopkins 2007 thread, yeah?

Glad to hear that y'all had such a good time! I met a few people at liver rounds -- seems like the Class of '07 will be pretty cool.

If anyone has any questions about Hopkins, please feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Cheers,
doepug (MS III)

so are you all def going there, or are you still trying to decide? any of you going to be living in reed?

I am definitely going, except for some small residual uncertainty that comes with making a big choice like this. I'm really glad that the first year starts out pretty slowly and easily, in contrast to other top schools, particularly Penn and Duke (if I remember correctly), because one thing I did realize this weekend is that what I'm doing now (finishing up a music degree) is just so completely different from what I'm going to be doing next year that I'm going to need some transition time to make the switch. I'm *definitely* excited about going to school with you all next year though. :)

Shikantaza - did you come with your girlfriend? If so, I'm pretty sure I met you. :)

VW - I'm almost positive I sat next to you and your husband at Red Fish. I totally forgot to ask about SDN! Sorry we almost lost you on the way to Federal Hill... ;) :D

Re: Where I'm going to be living... I stayed in Reed Hall this weekend, and I think that living there wouldn't be so bad. Definitely has negatives, but also positives as well. But I think given the nature of Baltimore and the area around Hopkins Med, it would just be better for my general affect if I lived somewhere off campus in a nicer place. The cost of living is cheap enough (at least now, probably not in a few years) that I think it would be worth it - but I have to find a roommate or two first. :) If anyone is interested, definitely PM me.

Yep, Rapid, you sat next to me at dinner. As soon as you posted "USC" and "music major," I remembered you. :)

I also got to meet cornelius, shik, and nonami. Yea, SDNers! :D

Briefly saw BlueJayBill, but I'm not sure he's coming next year.

i'm definitely headed there too! :D

applied to live in a reed suite, dunno if i'll get it though.

i met viennesewaltz + hubby, nonami (future roomie?? *crossing fingers*), shikantaza and his supercute gf, and rapid decomp - i dunno if you remember me, but i know who you are! i was part of the herd of prospectives you walked to PCTB with for the breakfast panel saturday morning.

hoping to see you all back in baltimore this august!

hey cornelius
when did you have the opportunity to apply for housing in reed? at the revisit? i am definitely interested in living there (first year only), but i haven't seen any housing info (besides that survey that came with the revisit stuff) in the mail (but my mail is all over the place, home and school).
i'm excited to meet you all in the fall...

hi fava,

there was an application form in the folder they gave us (nothing really big... revisit survey, itinerary, free pen and notebook, maryland tourism magazine, maryland map, list of prospectives present).

they also gave a 2-page packet of people's roommate preferences, with the responses you sent in from your acceptance packet. it was definitely incomplete though, a lot of people's info wasn't included and certainly none yet of the people who will come from the waitlist. from what i gathered from one of the M1 tour guides though, most of the housing arrangements in Reed are randomly assigned, since nobody really gets a chance to know other people well enough to decide beforehand.

i think if you contact the housing office and request an application, they should be able to mail you a copy or maybe even email/fax? or, maybe one of the other SDN members who attended (and still has their form) can send it?

cornelius

oops, forgot to add -

the 1-page housing application form came in an envelope with a brochure on Reed (one of those 1-page, folded into thirds things). the envelope was plain, just had a return address labeled on it.

(just adding that in case you may have accidentally overlooked it in your stuff, because it was in a pretty nondescript package)

yeah rapid decomp, i remember you now that you gave the "music" plug!!... and cornelius that's an awfully sweet thing to say about my girlfriend... i think so too :) and often wonder how i am so lucky!!... oh, so i have to mention this... did any of you happen to meet the prospective student that's a magician?... he did some tricks during dinner at the austin grille, which just blew everyone away... i didn't get a chance to talk with him but someone told me he's one of the best young magicians in the world!!... ridiculous!... and reason enough to pick hopkins!!

Oh, to hell with any scholarship to another school! I wanna go where the magician goes!

:laugh:

Seriously, I didn't get to meet him, but he sounds very cool. Everyone there was so cool and interesting.

Shikantaza - did I talk to you at liver rounds? Is your girlfriend applying to TFA? If so, today's the day, right? What's the word?

I'm happy you all had a good time! We had a blast putting on that show, so it's good to hear that it was still fun being on the other side of some of the inside jokes :) I don't know how many of you I got to meet, but those I did talk to seem great. Can't wait to have you here next year! If you want to live off campus, I would suggest that you come to Baltimore in late June for a few days during the week and look for apartments then. The off campus housing office in Reed is helpful in providing info about students who are looking for roommates, and they also have a phone that you can use (which is helpful and saves $$ if you don't have a national long distance like me last summer) Mt. Vernon is where I live, convenient because of the shuttle. Federal Hill is a hoppin place, and I feel like the apartments may be a little cheaper there? Homewood is the undergrad area, and though nice, has that undergrad feel to it, but bonus because it is on the shuttle line, also. If you're not living in Reed, I strongly think it's necessary to have a car. Swaroop doesn't have one and gets by, but, let's be honest, he's an enigma ;)

Take care, enjoy the rest of the year and the summer - see you in August!

Dawn, MSI

hi dawn!... yep, i met you at liver rounds, and yep, my girlfriend (she says hi!) got an email today informing her she got into tfa!!!! :clap: ... i'm soooo very excited for her and us!... she doesn't find out her placement site until friday or monday, so we're nervously waiting till then... i'm almost positive she'll be placed in philly or baltimore... philly or baltimore, philly or baltimore, which will it be?!?!... it's so strange getting your future in a letter... anyway, super nice of you to remember :) thanks!

awww dawn, i'm so touched that you called me an enigma, i know its one of your favorite words! :D

so i'm so glad that y'all liked the revisit weekend! we had a bunch of fun putting it on...

shiktaanza, were you this dude from penn state that was chillin' in urvashi's room w/your gf after the show?

anyways, y'all have fun the rest of your time in college, keep in touch on sdn (its where dawn and i met, and now we're Buddies... :cool: )

okay take care!

swaroop

hi dawn!... yep, i met you at liver rounds, and yep, my girlfriend (she says hi!) got an email today informing her she got into tfa!!!! :clap: ... i'm soooo very excited for her and us!... she doesn't find out her placement site until friday or monday

:clap: !!!!!:clap: !!!!!:clap: !!!!!:clap: !!!!!:clap: !!!!!

Awesome! I feel like I was doing a little more plugging for TFA than I was doing for Hopkins, but I hope that both of you end up here! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Baltimore placement! Tell her congrats for me :)

Dawn

Shikantaza - yay!!!!! Tell her congrats for me!!! :clap: That would be so great if she got Baltimore placement - keep us updated!!!

Dawn - I think I was actually sitting at the table with you, shik, and his gf when you were discussing TFA at Liver Rounds - not sure if we formally met or not though. :)

Cornelius - Thinking back to that Sat. morning, I do actually remember you a little, but I don't think we got to hang out at all during the rest of the weekend. :( If I had known you were an SDNer I would have definitely chatted with you more. But since we will both be there in August, you have my permission to come up to me and bop me on the head for my rudeness. :)

That is crazy about the magician!! I hope he decides to go to Hopkins. Not only would that be super cool to have him as a classmate, but he would be a killer act for our first-year show! ;)

Yeah, shik, tell her congrats from me and the hubby (I think we talked to you late Sat. afternoon while you were sitting on a bench in front of Reed). :)

hey everyone
none of you have heard anything yet about financial aid, have you? any ideas when they start sending out packages?
thanks
have a fun weekend!

Hey everybody... i hope you guys had fun at the revisit and got a chance to maybe get some exposure to Hopkins that you didnt get during your first time here while interviewing.

I met a number of you and I was very impressed the people that will hopefully make up next year's class.

vienna, if you are who I think you are, you followed me around Baltimore saturday night while we were looking for that bar. :D

Pitt is a very good school. I had a *hard* time turning that down to go to Duke.

On the other hand, Hopkins is subtly but appreciably better. What is the average indebtedness at JHU; ~$85K I think?

E-med pays pretty well, and the price tag at JHU is "low". For a private school.

The UPitt match list is pretty good, so you should do fine out of there.

My bottom line: If intersted in an academic or research career of any kind, go to JHU. If you want to practice medicine full-time, go to Pitt.

Just my $.02

Originally posted by gonflable
Pitt is a very good school. I had a *hard* time turning that down to go to Duke.

On the other hand, Hopkins is subtly but appreciably better. What is the average indebtedness at JHU; ~$85K I think?

E-med pays pretty well, and the price tag at JHU is "low". For a private school.

It's still pretty high if you can't get your parents' financial information.

In our case, at least there are some balances. My husband is probably going to b-school while I'm at JHU. U Md is much better and cheaper than any option in Pittsburgh, and Baltimore has better jobs in his field. Thanks for your $0.02, though. :)

Yep, that was us behind you, Gradient Echo, desperately trying to follow your twists and turns throughout downtown and elsewhere. :laugh: Ah, well, we managed to make it, anyway.

fava - I actually called the financial aid office today - I submitted my forms about a week and a half ago, and they said they would make me an offer early next week. I only applied for loans (my parents make too much for need based aid), so that might have expedited the process.

Gradient - That was you?! Haha, I was in your backseat!! And once we actually found the bar you had to take me home like the little baby med student that I am... :( I guess 20 years and 11 months doesn't count ;) :D (although I did somehow manage to get into Brewer's Art on Thursday - I guess the bouncer flunked math :) )

VW - does that mean you are going to JHU for sure?

:eek: Whoa, reading that thread is like opening a time capsule. Kind of weird, especially since I met most of the people on that thread last weekend. :) Oh well, that will be us in like 2 months!

http://student.med.jhmi.edu/images/photos/revisit.html

The photos from the revisit weekend are now posted if any of you prospectives wants to take a look.

I remember that old hopkins 2006 official thread (I can take credit for starting it; my old name was hopkins2010)... its kinda weird looking back on it now.

hey rapid decomp I definitely remember you. I felt bad about taking you back to Reed; I wish we could have figured out something else to do.

Thanks for letting us know about the photos!

It's official: I will be at Hopkins in the fall. :D

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz

Sweet! I know it must have been a tough choice, but it sounds like Hopkins is definitely the place for you. It will be great to have you as a classmate next year!

Gradient, thanks for letting us know about the photos - it brought back how much fun that weekend was. :)