Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

anyone going to school in Puerto Rico?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KatieJune, Jul 27, 2002.

1. KatieJune

KatieJune Senior Member

I know the classes in Puerto Rico are primarily in Spanish. I was wondering if Ponce accepts many out of state residents? How high do your stats have to be? I know the averages for the schools aren't really high, but what about for out of state residents? Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. uclabruins47

uclabruins47 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    IMO, the stats for out-of-states should be higher, but due to it's low matriculation stats, even stats higher than that should be high enough for some medschools in the US.

would you really go there even if it's your only acceptance? I would not, which is why I didn't apply even though it has low stats. Just my 2 cents.

4. exigente chica

I was also thinking about school here., but no MSTP program.The GPA they ask for is like 3.0, i think. Half of the classes are in spanish, the other half in english. You have to have 6 credits of spanish in undergrad.
    clinical are obviously in spanish. Also check out univeristy of puerto rico, somewhat more popular.

Need nething else, pm me

5. KatieJune

KatieJune Senior Member

so no one on the board is going to Puerto rico - I would actually go there, but I'm wondering if they take many non-puerto ricans.

6. exigente chica

They actually do take alot of Us students..

pm me for more info

7. adamant

adamant Senior Member

I'm a US resident currently a 1st year student a Ponce. They definitely do take out of state residents at here, usually about 5-10 depending on the year. For out of state students they are basically looking for people with good MCAT scores, the PR students don't do very well on the MCAT 20 is considered an acceptable score. If your MCAT is over 27 and you have good conversational Spanish you have a good chance of being accepted.

I have been very happy so far with the level of academics here. They definitely prepare you very well for the boards and for residency plus it has full LCME accreditation through 2010 so no worries there. The overall atmosphere is very relaxed and non-competetive so you won't get too stressed out here.

I have you have questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Good luck,
    Adam