Anyone going to the AMA Meeting in Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mango

Very Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's actually the AMA-MSS meeting from June 14-17th in Chicago. I'll be there, anyone else???

I just got the one inch thick "Handbook" in the mail, and it sounds like it's going to be a really cool weekend. They have Dr. Iserson the author of "How to Get into a Residency" speaking! That should be interesting. Plus a lecture on spending electives abroad. I am deffinately into that!

My friend and I plan on spending a lot of time doing non-AMA stuff as well, if you catch my drift....

Members don't see this ad.

Could you have some real pizza for me? Thin crust, not that thick crust junk!

As for the AMA, they should be stuffed into a pizza. Apparently, as a foreign student, my money isn't good enough for them until I get a US residency. :mad:

If you are interested in Surgery, there is a small museum on Lake Shore Drive dedicated to the history of surgery. I've always wanted to go in, but never found the time . . .

I'm not sure what you meant by that pizza comment? As to the AMA not accepting foreign members, I don't set the policies, I'm just a member of the medical student section! But I would guess the reasoning behind it is that the organization is the American Medical Association, and that their goal is to lobby for the issues imporatnt to physicians IN America. This is just my guess!

Members don't see this ad :)
Annette was talking about the finest pizza in the world: Chicago style deep dish. If you are new to it, you can start out with one of the bigger franchise's - Giordano's, Gino's East, or maybe Carmen's. I like Gino's East, cause the crust is so damn good. Then you can move on to some smaller restaurants, but there are too many to count. Try Pisano's on State Street. Delightful waiters, good food, not too expensive.

Simul

I large Duhh is due on my part! I guess I just don't associate Chicago with Pizza. I've been going to Chicago about 5 times a year for the last 7 or 8 years (since half the people I went to college with live there), but we usually don't go out for pizza. I do a lot of museum hopping (the Field and the Art Institute especially), and bar hopping whenever I'm there! :)

Mango, I was whining about the AMA because I tried to join the student section, but was turned down because I'm a "foreign" student. I was born and grew up in the States, and I fully plan on practicing in the US. I think the AMA is terribly short sighted and xenophobic; and, after the Sunbeam deal, terribly stupid.

Are you at Sussex, Annette?
I love that place, Brighton is a really cool city...

Simul

Nope, I'm from an off-shore school that has a teaching contract with the County hospital. I agree, Brighton is a beatiful city! Sussex doesn't have a med school yet, but they will be part of one starting in 2003.

Originally posted by Annette:
•Mango, I was whining about the AMA because I tried to join the student section, but was turned down because I'm a "foreign" student. I was born and grew up in the States, and I fully plan on practicing in the US. I think the AMA is terribly short sighted and xenophobic; and, after the Sunbeam deal, terribly stupid.•

Hi Annette,

The eligibility according to their site is:

Medical students at an accredited allopathic or osteopathic medical school in the United
States or Puerto Rico.

Resident physicians who are attending an accredited residency or fellowship program in
the U.S.

Physicians who have earned their doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy degree
and are residing and practicing in the U.S.

It doesn't say you have to have been born here/have citizenship. Only that you are/have been educated/trained/or are practicing in the States.

Originally posted by axlf1997:

It doesn't say you have to have been born here/have citizenship. Only that you are/have been educated/trained/or are practicing in the States.•

I think they are short sighted in not accepting people who plan to practice in the US. I'm not asking to make policy, I just want to make stickers on Freida. If my money isn't good enough for them now, I'm not going to give them any when I do become "eligible." :mad:

Annette, I guess you have to try and think about this from the AMA's perspective. Since the purpose of the group is to advocate for the goals of American physicians, it makes sense that they would restrict their membership to those being educated/trained or practicing in the States. Besides, what if you "plan" to practice in the US, but then the plan changes?

I'm curious what stickers you were talking about? So far all I've gotten is a free subscription to JAMA, which I never have time to read. Not that I'd understand it!

While you are at the confrence, why don't you ask them their position on USIMG's? Then maybe you will understand my frustration. :mad: :( (For some reason I keep forgetting that the AMA was designed to protect business.)
The stickers in FREIDA are for sending to residency programs to ask them to send info on their programs.
Keep reading JAMA, eventually, some of it will make sense.

i am alomost positive that the AMA has provisions for opening a chapter at an offshore school...i looked into it around a year ago, but blew it off. anyhow, i don't really have the time to search now (have anatomy final in 2 days, oral, comprehensive and the sole determinant of my grade..feel sorry for me, please!), but try the ama website info about the student section and opening a chapter. if i am wrong, forgive me, but some group allows it...if not the AMA, i am really confused!!

neil

i guess i am confused...looked all over the site (yes, i am procrastinating again!) and didn't find what i was looking for. maybe send the med students section an email and ask about a chapter, or maybe i am thinking of another group...sorry!
neil

me again...my bad, it was the american med student assn that has international chapters...now that i have finished this, i go back to the books!

Neilc, I think you are thinking of the American Medical Student Assoc. (AMSA), which used to be part of the AMA. AMSA went independent in the 70's, I think. Glad I could provide an excuse to procrastinate ;)

To the med students going to chicago AMA- What hotel are you staying at? Congress Plaza or Hilton?

To the med students going to chicago AMA- What hotel are you staying at? Congress Plaza or Hilton?

Way to dig up a 6 year old thread. Congress Plaza, to answer your question, though they're out of the cheap hotel rooms.

wow. I am also impressed with your thread-digging-up skills. No one will EVER tell you to use the search function before posting :D