Anyone going to the SGU Open House?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by steven1174, Sep 18, 2002.

1. steven1174

steven1174 Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wondering if anyone in the Southern California area will be attending the St. George's Open House in San Diego this week.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Student247

Student247 Member
    7+ Year Member

Where in San Diego is the open house? and at what time and day?

student247

4. steven1174

steven1174 Member
    7+ Year Member

check the website...www.sgu.edu....

in short its at the marriott (find on website)
    6:30pm - 8:00 sept 20 friday

5. steven1174

steven1174 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Daffy,

Well I went to the SGU Open House in San Diego, it was ok.... Actually I will be at the one in San Francisco too. They are holding an orientation there for the new incoming students. I have recently been accepted and have decided to attend in January 2003.

As to "How is SGU??" Well you can always check out there website.....and there are a lot of folks on here that attended SGU or currently attend SGU that have posted their experiences....just look through this forum, there are tons of posts about SGU.....

My personal opinion is that SGU is a "viable option" to become a competent and successful physician (for some)....whether it will be for you depends on you....personally i think it should be one's last resort after exhausting all other resources and options in the USA....(whether that includes DO school's depends on you)
    i think its important to examine why one desires to be a physician and realistically ask oneself can he/she hack the rigors of med school and the career of a physician....

med school is difficult enough as it is....but should you choose this SGU/Carribean route there will be extra crap one will have to deal with... (ECFMG, CSA, Carribean med student stigma, dealing with island life etc...)

the ECFMG, CSA, TOEFL stuff will just take time and your money away.....the Carribean stigma well....thats more of a personal issue.....can you deal with it?

I remember one time at the wards of a certain University hospital, I heard this joke that the med students told about "Carribean Med Students/Doctors"...The Carribean Med Students and Doctors were labelled as "007's".....yes like James Bond.....you know why they were called 007's? Because they are
    "LICENSED TO KILL"...haha...i have to admit it's kinda funny but its crap like that you will have to deal with.....haha

personally i am willing to deal with it...and don't give a rats a$$...
    i realize from my life experiences that you work your a$$ off, carry your own weight, treat others with respect (patients and colleagues) you'll be fine....reality is that there will always be those that no matter what you do or how good you are, they will talk crap, but most won't give rats a$$ as long as you work hard and know your "she-ought" (crap)...(i am not writing the real word because i don't know the policy of SDN and curse words...haha)

My cousin went to SGU and is currently in residency at USC County Hospital...he's doing fine, loves and appreciates what he does daily...in fact next year's Chief Resident for the Internal Med program there is an Alumni of SGU...i am more than sure there are plenty more out there from SGU that are doing great as welll, but likewise there must also be some that graduated from SGU and are hating life....haha

so yeah in a nutshell, do your due diligence,research the schools like you are doing now... do a little soul searching and should you decide to take the path in becoming a physician particularly SGU, then God Speed my friend....

See you in SF if you go to the open house...

6. steven1174

steven1174 Member
    7+ Year Member

Daffy,

I am confused, you mentioned in one post that you got the YES from SGU....then in the other posts you inquire about SGU stating that you are considering to apply to SGU etc....

whats your status?

7. steven1174

steven1174 Member
    7+ Year Member

hey daffy,

well i think if you have a legitamate shot in making it into US med schools, then PLEASE reapply and wait out 2 years......in the long run it will do you better.....the SGU option will always be there for ya....

take care