Anyone going to UMich this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cruella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hey all, just joined in and was wondering if anyone out there is also going to Umich. Anyone from CA going? I'll probably get to Ann Arbor a few days before orientation and was wondering if any other out-of-towners will be arriving around the same time. Also wondering what other people are thinking/feeling as MED SCHOOL looms closer. . . I'm excited, but somewhat nervous. It's going to be a huge change- what do other people think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be going to Michigan this fall; I'm from NY though. I also plan on moving in a few days before August 17th - I ended up getting a studio at the Island Drive Apts - part of the infamous "white coat ghetto". With the first year being P/F, I'm not as worried but Michigan still has a reputation (warranted or not - we'll see soon enough
wink.gif
) for being competitive. Perhaps the thing I'll need to get adjusted to the most is the weekly MONDAY quizzes (why not Friday? Some people actually want to ENJOY their weekends
smile.gif
)

I almost signed a lease at Island Drive! Decided for the less subterranean option at Fuller Apts. . . . the whole idea of being able to WALK to class is so nice, ain't it?

P/F will be nice in the first year, and as twisted as it sounds, having to have weekly quizes on a monday seems better than friday. . . . Makes thursday less of a problem day given that we'll most likely be in lab all afternoon!

Hey- what do you think of that challenge ropes course activity they have planned for us?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey who people that are going to UMICH,

Was Michigan your first choice? Were you on the waitlist at any other school? I am trying to decide between Michigan and Duke. Any help would be great.

Walking to class sure is nice - makes me wonder why I'm even bothering to bring a car although Michigan's budget allows for one. Yeah, living in the basement was the drawback to Island Drive - hopefully I'll be so busy that I won't have time to notice.

I'm looking forward to the ropes course - it may be a bit cheesy/goofy, but it's a great way to meet the people in this large class (160+?) which is even more important since Michigan students don't all live in the same place like at some schools (I'm thinking of the NYC schools where all students live in the same dorm/apartment because anywhere else is just too expensive
smile.gif
).

Early in the interview season, I was rapidly falling in love with New York City. . . even if the housing situation called for a dorm or 4 other roommates. WingZero- asking the same question as adebola- did you want to go to Michigan or would you have wanted to stay in NY? When you said you're from NY, did you mean City or State?

Michigan was my first choice. adebola- A choice between Michigan and Duke?? I can't help you with any info on Duke. . . I know someone who went there for undergrad and she said that Duke, as a school, is pretty cool, but that Raleigh isn't that interesting as a town and that she would always go to Chapel Hill for kicks. Again, I can't share personal experience.

BUT, I'm biased towards Michigan. I had a good set of interviews at good places and Michigan was the best experience by FAR. In the end, I had 5 acceptances and 4 waitlists, I got into Michigan straight. I passed on instate tuition at UCSD to go to Michigan. . . I liked Ann Arbor, it's a cool, progressive college town, it's a beautiful area, lots of opportunities for volunteering and/or research. . . and the students all seemed really down-to-earth and diverse. I'm really excited about the decision, but who knows if you'd like it. Duke is a great place too, it's all a matter of what you'd like, what kind of environment, etc. What were your first impressions of both places? What's important to you? I know this sounds hokey, but go with your gut reaction to each place.

I'm from upstate NY and I had no burning desire to either stay or leave. The location of a school doesn't factor heavily into my choice of a medical school - seems to me that at any school you can find something to do with the limited free time you have.

I'll be heading to U Mich in the fall, too! This is a pretty new realization for me, as I recently got off of the waitlist. I'm super excited, though now comes all of the details that go along with an acceptance, such as how I'm going to move all of my stuff (I'm in CA - SF Bay Area) and which apartment complex to rent from (any suggestions?). I'll probably show up in Ann Arbor a few days before orientation, as well. I have no Michigan experience other than my interview trip, though everyone I talk to that knows Ann Arbor gushes about what a great town it is (though they always mention the brutal winters!). I'm definitely excited to explore the area.

See all of you soon!

Hey schatzi,

What tier of the waitlist were you on?

Hi adebola!

I was on the first tier of the waitlist. When I called the admissions office before I was accepted to find out how the waitlist works, they wouldn't tell me how many of each tier they traditionally go through. Maybe you'll be more successful at sweet-talking the admissions office staff into giving you that info. Which tier are you on? They did say that they try to pull people off the list such that their demographic variables are kept balanced, e.g. pulling a female out-of-stater off the waitlist once an accepted female out-of-stater declines her spot -- so it's not a strict list that they go straight down is the impression I got.

Good luck!

schatzi- congrats! No chance you went to UCB? I graduated in 97, miss the Bay Area (moved last year), but I spent about a week there when I was looking for a place to live. Ann Arbor reminded me a lot of berkeley, only without oakland, SF and the rest of the bay area around it. With respect to living arrangements, if you can get there SOON, get there. Even if for just a few days, the housing market isn't anything like the bay area, but people do sign leases for august and september as early as JANUARY. . . There are plenty of places around the medical school- get in touch with the housing office and they will send you a handy packet of information that includes a very cool map. They also have listings posted on their website which I found really helpful.

Good luck on the search- and I guess I'll see you at orientation!

Sorry, Cruella, but I went to that "other" school across the Bay!
smile.gif
Though I'm sure we'll be able to overcome our differences once we're both Wolverines! See you soon! And thanks for the housing tips.

Hi. When did you get off the waitlist? I never called and got info on the tier. I didn't realize Mich gave out that info. I just know I am on the waitlist. Thanks!

Beth,

I got off of the waitlist about a month ago. You should definitely call the admissions office to find out which tier you are on, and maybe they'll be able to tell you what you're chances are, too.

Good luck!