1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone going to UNLV dental program this fall?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Madaboy27, May 6, 2008.

1. Madaboy27

Pre-Dental
    I got accepted to UNLV dental program this Fall, and wondering if anyone else out there is going this fall as well. My wife wants to know where the other dental wives will be living. We're thinking of moving to Summerlin which is a 10-15 min. drive to the school. Anyone else know where they are going to move?

2. ummjoey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kswheels

Pre-Dental
    Im attending UNLV in the fall as well. My boyfriend and I just bought a house in Summerlin so we might be neighbors. Planning on moving up there in early July to do some remodeling.

4. GauzePlease

Pre-Dental
    kswheels and anybody else attending UNLV who has bought a house or is in the process of buying a house, can you answer the following questions:

1. General location of your home (LV, Summerlin, or Henderson, )
    2. Information about your home (price, size, year built)
    3. Who is your mortgage lender
    4. Any realtor recommendations
    5. Is it realistic for someone like me (who has good credit, no income, from out of state, parents willing to help) to buy a house?

I am new so SDN and I know this information might be private if you can PM me that would be great.

Thanks

5. mola_pulla

mola_pulla Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    If anyone is looking for houses PM me and I'll try to help you out. I can help find places in the general area in which I live. I live in Northwest Las Vegas. There are about 16 to 20 dental students that live in our area which is about a square mile. All of our wives get together and do lots together. It is a new area with new places to eat and shop going up every weekend. It is very nice.
    We are renting here but I know a few students up here that have bought there homes and I can try to get that information for you if needed. Don't hessitate to PM me. I'm happy to help anyone that I can, it's nice to have some help when you're moving to another city.

6. kswheels

Pre-Dental

1. General location of your home- The place that Im going to live in is Summerlin (specifically pecole ranch). Its off Charleston which is the street the dental school is located. Last time I visited Vegas I timed it and it was ten minutes start to finish. The neighborhood is absolutly beautiful and safe. Right now if you are going to buy a house a banked owned home is your best shot. There pretty torn up inside and most the time a considerable amount of remodeling is necessary.
    2. Information about your home-We got the house for 220. In january the exact same house was bought for 280 and the same type of home in the same neighborhood that is fixed up is around 320 or so. The size is 1,870 square feet. Three full baths, four bedrooms and two stories. It was built in 91.
    3. Who is your mortgage lender- I have no idea who the mortgage lender is because my parents took care of the entire process. I just initialed the lines. :)
    4. Any realtor recommendations- My realitor was fantastic. If you would like to get more information let me know.
    5. Is it realistic for someone like me (who has good credit, no income, from out of state, parents willing to help) to buy a house? YES, its the best time to buy a house in Vegas. The market is soooo low and if you buy a bank owned like me and do some fixing you will have immediate equity. I highly recommend starting the process now. I went down there over Easter and Im finally getting the house next week. Its a process that takes over a month. Your parents also have to be involved. To my knowledge it doesnt matter if you have good credit because if you aren't currently employed then the bank can't trust that you will pay the mortgage monthly.

I also looked at Northwest but the area was considerably farther I thought then Summerlin. But then again I am new to this process.

7. idreamofteeth

idreamofteeth member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My wife and I are purchasing a house in the southwest. We have started the process in the first of May and hope to close by mid-July. Our house is bank owned property, so thats why it takes so long. We have heard that lots of students live in the northwest.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. nataliejcasper

Non-Student
    young family possibly moving to area in July ... hoping to shop apartments end of March. Suggestions?

9. Gbrando2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Wow, resurrecting an old thread. My wife and I are hoping to buy a house in Vegas though so any advice (realtors, areas to live, etc) that anyone has to throw around would be great.

10. 2014orbust

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    1. Las Vegas (Spanish Trail)
    2. $414,000-- 2500sqft
    3. Citimortgage
    4. award realty

Its in the same development that my parents live in (much smaller house though)... they had to cosign for me and give me part of down payment

#10 2014orbust, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. Gbrando2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Wow, rich boy/girl.

12. T DAT

T DAT New Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Mayan apartments are great. Lived here since Jan of 08! I ride my bike to UNLV SDM.. please write my name down if you move in PM me for more inquiries. Thanks and good luck!