Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone going to UW?

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by swemory2007, Apr 9, 2007.

1. swemory2007

I will be doing an MPH in Epi. Anyone else?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AndrewJ42

AndrewJ42 Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Have a great time at the UW! A couple pointers about Seattle...I don't know if you looked into housing quite yet...but the UW is an ultra-commuter school and graduate students rarely live on campus...the bus lines are really convenient and you can practically find a fast line to the UW from anywhere in Seattle..

Also, please do buy football/basketball tickets..while the football team is in rebuilding phase...it's still fun to be in a crowd of 75,000 cheering on a team :) Anyway, Go Huskies :) have a great time!

4. a11ysa11y

a11ysa11y Junior Member

I will be going to UW, PhD in epidemiology. Yay!

5. newyorkisrainin

Hey - What were your stats and where else did you apply?
    Why did you choose UW?

6. swemory2007

3.4 GPA
    GRE 1270 (580 verbal, 690 quantitative)
    "A"s in previous Calculus and Stats classes
    1 year of previous public health work

Applied and was accepted to numerous other schools, including JHU, Michigan, UCLA, Minnesota, Yale. I narrowed it down to JHU, Michigan, and UW and went to visit them all. Loved the faculty at UW - they were very willing to meet with me and were extremely nice. It was mostly about the "feel" of it for me, and the fact that they have the number 2 epi dept. in the country behind Harvard (by one ranking). Additionally, funding opportunities were better. After accepting the offer of admission, I was able to secure a Research Assistantship (which is much easier to find at UW) and pays for full tuition and provides health insurance and a stipend. Plus, Seattle is going to be a fun place to live. :)

7. newyorkisrainin

is awesome. Congrats!
    will this be your terminal degree or are you thinking of combining this with something else?

8. swemory2007

I am not combining it with any other degree, but I have not yet ruled out the possibility of a PhD. We will see...

9. wearepsu

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    your info swemory. I'm planning to go on for a mph/phd in epi in 2008 and have similar background to you. I'm currently looking at JHU, UW, UNC, Emory, and UPitt but that could always change.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind...
    1. I have seen the public health rankings (which has jhu at the top) is there somewhere else where you can find epi specific rankings?
    2. How did you get around finding your research assistantship - did you just email interesting professors?
    3. What area within Epi are you planning to get into? Are there specific areas that UW are stronger in? global health or cancer?

I've visited Seattle a few times and love it there, I will definetely at least apply to UW. I hope you have a great experience there!

Thanks!

10. swemory2007

1. According to the Chronicle of Higher Education Faculty Productivity Index, the rankings are as follows:
    Institution
    Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index
    Number of faculty
    Percentage of faculty with a book publication
    Books per faculty
    Percentage of faculty with a journal publication
    Journal publications per faculty
    Percentage of faculty with journal publication cited by another work
    Citations per faculty
    Harvard U.
    -
    -
    96%
    96%
    U. of Washington
    -
    -
    93%
    92%
    Yale U.
    -
    -
    91%
    91%
    U. of Iowa
    -
    -
    94%
    94%
    Johns Hopkins U.
    -
    -
    89%
    85%
    U. of Minnesota-Twin Cities
    -
    -
    84%
    84%
    U. of Southern California
    -
    -
    88%
    84%
    U. of Pennsylvania
    -
    -
    87%
    84%
    U. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    -
    -
    90%
    81%
    U. of Michigan at Ann Arbor
    -
    -
    85%
    84%

This information can be found at http://chronicle.com/stats/productivity/page.php?primary=12&secondary=112&bycat=Go. But make sure that "biomedical sciences" and "epidemiology" are selected at the top (sometimes the link gets messed up).
    2. For the research assistantship, I e-mailed professors before-hand, met with a couple when I was out there, and then e-mail hounded them for a while after I returned. Most of them were very responsive and were straight-up about whether or not they could offer a research assistantship because of funding.
    3. I will be doing research in nutritional epidemiology and cancer prevention. The UW is actually very strong in all areas (something I feel that other schools lacked), however, they are especially noted for their collaboration with the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (affectionately known as "the Hutch"), and are also noted for their international health work.

If you have any other questions, or if there is any other way I can help, please let me know!

11. newyorkisrainin

Also, out of curiousity, what did you think about UCLA?

12. swemory2007

I didn't visit UCLA. I only visited the three that I narrowed it down to. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

13. newyorkisrainin

Right, I'm sorry I meant in the process of narrowing down, why not UCLA? Was it the strength of their epi program or something else?

14. wearepsu

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    thanks swemory...you've been a big help!!

15. swemory2007

I don't know if they lost my application or if it really did take them a long time to get to the point where they could review it (like they claimed), but I hadn't heard anything for months after I submitted my application. I called them several times, they never returned phonecalls. I finally spoke with someone who said she would call me back the next day, but finally a week later (around April 18th/19th), they told me I was accepted and by that point, I had already committed elsewhere. Additionally, I believe that UW's program is stronger and the research fits my interests better.