Anyone got accepted with a 6 on MCAT Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSWC

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT scores are 6-v, 13-PS, 11-BS. O My GPA is 3.65. Anyone got accepted with such stats?

Members don't see this ad.

just out of curiosity, how'd you do so poorly on the verbal but so well on the rest?

I had a very similar score last year except I got a 13 on verbal. I got a 7 on the MCAT and that was a major reason I didn't get in last year. I buckled down and retook the MCAT and improved to a 10 on verbal this year. Getting a 6 is going to through up a huge red flag to almost any med school and there is only a remote chance you can get accepted with that score. A skewed score is almost as bad as a low score (that's the sad truth I learned last year). Just retake and improve on the verbal and you'll definately be able to get an acceptance. The only way a 6 will be acceptable to a school is if english isn't your 1st language.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
foriegn national, I bet.

I wonder how well I would do if the mcat was in chinese, heh heh.

Sorry, I meant a 13 on bio, definately not on verbal, my bad!!!!!!

Originally posted by Adcadet
just out of curiosity, how'd you do so poorly on the verbal but so well on the rest?

I was a bit harsh. I'm sorry.
Yeah, if the test were in a language other than my primary language, I'd be screwed.

English is not my first language...I did not start speaking English until 6 year ago :(

This makes a huge difference and is definitely taken into consideration. Still, I'd suggest re-taking the test. I am a native English speaker, but you can trust me when I say that you CAN raise your verbal score no matter what.

Considering that your overall score was still 30 and you have a good GPA, it might be worth giving the application a shot (if only because of the language issue - otherwise there'd be no way). But there's no question that raising the VR score would make you a much more competitive candidate, so it's up to you. If you retake, make sure there's a difference in preparation (lots of reading + practice problems, timing adjustments, review course tips, etc) so you can feel confident about improving. But if you don't and are planning to apply next year, make sure you submit everything *ASAP* - not just the main AMCAS application but LORs and secondaries. The VR score is a substantial handicap so getting things in early will likely be critical for you to obtain interviews. Finally, make sure you apply to a good range of schools where many out-of-staters are accepted.

Good luck, and as someone who got 9 on PS I'm quite impressed by the 13! :)

i've mentioned this guy before - but my friend just got into rwj med school in new jersey (resident) wit ha 5v,13p,11b M - and a 3.7x (don't know exactly). he had the standard extracurrics and was white (for those who are counting - and i know you are;) ) -- hes a great guy and i'm glad hes gonna be a doc.

last year a kid (same demographic) got into penn wit hh a 6 verbal (31 total) off the 1st tier waitlist -- he was phi beta kappa junior year with a 3.98 or something. he had 4 years of d3 tennis and something else which i can't remember.

this is just 2 guys - its an uphill battle but possible. goodluck
-jot

Yeah a friend of mine got conditional acceptance to UIC and had a 6V. He's an Illinois resident. Think 6V,7P,10B :eek: :clap:

Originally posted by lotanna
Yeah a friend of mine got conditional acceptance to UIC and had a 6V. He's an Illinois resident. Think 6V,7P,10B :eek: :clap:

Conditional?

Originally posted by Random Access
Conditional?

yeah he had to do their hard summer program and get at least a B in it or so. He is in his 2nd yr now in UIC med schl:)