Anyone got accepted with this PCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daysinnnc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who got accepted with pcat score of 50 percentile..

I have really good GPA (3.7) but my pcat scores are very bad..I am an international student. I am planning to apply to Mercer..

Members don't see this ad.

If your poor scores were in reading/verbal that might help you since you have an excuse being an international student. For example with verbal you shouldn't be held to the same standard of knowing tons of obscure words that native english speakers learn over their life times.

you shouldn't be held to the same standard of knowing tons of obscure words that native english speakers learn over their life times.

Them's fightin' words....you've got a debate with that one. I know words like epicurean aren't very useful to a pharmacist, but why should an ESL student get a boost over the rest of us who also have to study obscure words? they're obscure for a reason, they just don't occur very often in everyday life.

ESL is very often used as a crutch (too often, IMO), and like every other crutch, it doesn't hold up. Accept your scores for what they are, and don't try to excuse them. The fact is there ARE other ESL students who have stellar PCAT scores.

To answer the OP's question: I have heard of people with PCATs in the 20s getting into pharmacy school. And Minnesota accepted a person with a 19 PCAT last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Them's fightin' words....you've got a debate with that one. I know words like epicurean aren't very useful to a pharmacist, but why should an ESL student get a boost over the rest of us who also have to study obscure words? they're obscure for a reason, they just don't occur very often in everyday life.

To be honest I knew a vague definition of epicurean without even studying it. . .pertaining to food or something, right?

I know as a kid my parents made an effort to teach me a lot of words, and then slogging your way through highschool literature classes alone has got to teach you some words. Then add on reading the newspaper and even listening to NPR, you end up learning a lot of words without trying.

And in the end like you said all these words are worthless for being a pharmacist.

To be honest I knew a vague definition of epicurean without even studying it. . .pertaining to food or something, right?

I know as a kid my parents made an effort to teach me a lot of words, and then slogging your way through highschool literature classes alone has got to teach you some words. Then add on reading the newspaper and even listening to NPR, you end up learning a lot of words without trying.

And in the end like you said all these words are worthless for being a pharmacist.
Are they? These "worthless" words are the building blocks of the language with which you will communicate with your patients. The more you know, the more effectively you will communicate in any setting, no matter what it may be.

No, epicureanism doesn't have to do with food (in the direct sense). I know that a lot of food and wine companies happen to use the word as part of their description, as it is the view point of pleasure defeating pain and fear.

And the words aren't worthless, they keep at least a little bit of an appreciation of language in the general public. I remember reading Calvin and Hobbes when I was 7-8 years old, asking my mom what words like "anthropomorphize", "vicariously" and "mandate" mean. It's really not hard to learn some "big vocabulary".

Anyone who got accepted with pcat score of 50 percentile..

I have really good GPA (3.7) but my pcat scores are very bad..I am an international student. I am planning to apply to Mercer..

In my opinion, you will need really good everything else (LORs, personal statement, etc.) - Mercer's average PCAT composite the last couple of years has been right around 80.

I just don't know how to study for verbal and reading comp. which are my two weakest area..I am taking it again, but i know same thing is gonna happen..

Pray for me people..

Are they? These "worthless" words are the building blocks of the language with which you will communicate with your patients. The more you know, the more effectively you will communicate in any setting, no matter what it may be.

In my experience, patients tend to get annoyed when we use advanced words, especially when the patients are poor.

In my experience, patients tend to get annoyed when we use advanced words, especially when the patients are poor.
That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that the larger your vocabulary, the greater your ease and fluency with the language, and the better you will be at tailoring your message to suit the hearer no matter the setting, whether it's a poor patient or one who knows the meaning of "epicurean."