Ooops

15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
Has anyone got an acceptance yet from JABSOM? Also are you instate or out of state? When was your interview and when did you find out?

sharsky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
same here, no word yet. out of state and interviewed in jan. when do we expect to hear back?

About the Ads

coachB

full fledged member
15+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2003
The Beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
hawaii is non-rolling. i don't think the admissions committee has even met yet. my understanding is they don't sned out decisions until may. so you'll have to wait a while.

kokonut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
just curious, the website says :

As a public, state supported institution, JABSOM's first priority is to admit resident applicants with strong ties to the State of Hawai`i. All applications go through two parallel screening processes. The first is to determine the applicant's ties to the State and goes beyond simple legal residence. It includes whether the applicant was born, attended high school and/or college in Hawai`i, and if Hawai`i is his/her parents' legal residence. An applicant must meet at least three of the five criteria under this initial screen.

Does everyone who got an interview meet three of these five criteria?

Thanks!
koko

lilstina

diamond sweetpea
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2003
texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Originally posted by kokonut
Does everyone who got an interview meet three of these five criteria?

i got an interview from JABSOM as a non-resident, with absolutely zero ties to the state. i ended up declining it though, with cost being too high at this point, plus i already have an acceptance to my state school. i did spend last summer there doing a public health internship, and i was at one point strongly considering practicing there eventually which i wrote about in the secondary along with talking about my experiences during the summer, so that's probably what led them to give me an interview.

it is a beautiful place and a whole different atmosphere though... and it was definitely with some regret that i declined my interview :)

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
lonecoyote11.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I got an interview there with absolutely no ties to the state. I have never even been to Hawaii for a vacation. I ended up declining because I couldn't afford to fly out there and figured I had very little chance to get in as an out-of-stater. It sounded like a great place with the PBL curriculum and focus on community medicine. From what I remember from the materials they sent me it seemed they gave all the decision late in the cycle, like in April maybe? If you do a search you can probably find an old thread and see when they gave decisons last year. Good luck to all of you who are waiting :)

genome41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2003
Status (Visible)
I also have absolutely no ties at all to Hawaii and still got an invitation to interview. I ended up going to my interview last month and was told exactly why I was invited. They have a point-based system in which if you accumulate a certain number of points, they invite you; non-residents need to accumulate a few more points than residents to be invited; points are given based on ties to hawaii and all other hawaii-type connections, grades, mcat scores, honors, extracurricular activites, volunteer/research...I don't recall the essays as having any merit as far as a possible means to earn points. So basically, there really isn't an "initial" screen you have to pass in order to get to the second screen. They also told me that they send out their final decisions in April, yet if you are a highly exceptional/qualified candidate, you will hear back earlier. Hope this helps

ih8biochem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2003
Status (Visible)
No word yet. I'm instate and completed my final interview with Dr. Izutstu a little over 2 weeks ago.
He said they send out their decisions early April, that is of course if the commitee gives you an average rating of 8 (I think) or higher out of 10. Then you find out within 2 weeks. I'm also curious as to hearing from anyone else has gotten in.

hawaiigirl

15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2002
i'm currently a first-year at jabsom and i know that one of the university of hawaii undergrad applicants has already been accepted. but others haven't even finished their interviews yet. so just sit tight... i look forward to seeing some of you guys next school year :)

B

Blade28

Originally posted by hawaiigirl
so just sit tight... i look forward to seeing some of you guys next school year :)

Ditto. :) 3 years ago, I didn't hear until mid-April.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.