Anyone got in with a low GPA and decent PCAT score rencently?? Please share...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardaRx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm just loosing a lot of hope lately...

As an undergrad (and not thinking about grad school) I was a mediocre student b/c I didn't care. I was a kid and a degree was just a degree...
As a post-bac, it came back to haunt me. I've been working hard to push me GPA up for the last 1.5 years, but it's a slow process.

My Cum GPA is still low 3.07 or something
My Science is decent, 3.67, b/c I wasn't a science major, I had a fresh science start.

But my Cum is really low...I spoke to an advisor that told me "maybe you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket".... wow, I think I almost cried.

So....can someone please let me know if you got into Pharmacy School recently with similar stats???
What was your PCAT score?
Was there anything else you did that might have helped?

I'm getting pretty scared...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar position; low 3.0 and poor PCAT...I'm a deans list student despite my mediocre overall GPA with a BS in Biology at a 4 year university with a upwards trend in grades. My prereq GPA was a bit higher than my overall, 3.3. It also helped that I took some graduate science classes to show my amplitude for graduate level work. As long you have a upwards trend in grades, then it shows that you are a serious applicant.

I also have excellent work experience and extracirruculars with really helps you score points for an interview and ultimately an acceptance. I worked 3.5 years as pharmacy tech at Walgreen's pharmacy where I do the store training for all new employees. Also won multiple service awards, 2 yearly awards, 1 customer service award, also awarded multiple times as technician superstar. Extracirrcular's include setting up a fundraiser for both American Red Cross and American Cancer society where I donated money to help Diaster Victims of the China Earthquake and also to cancer research. Work experience, leadership positions, and community service score big points on an application or during an interview. Be sure you have both if your GPA is less than steller. They want someone who is more than just numbers on a piece of paper. Show them you are passionate about the field and you are generous to the community.

Despite my mediocre GPA and PCAT, I was granted 3 interviews out of 5 schools I applied. So far, I have one acceptance, one pending interview and one waiting for a response. It can be done if you apply broadly, new schools, old schools, out of state, rolling admissions, etc..Be presistant, be confident in your abilities, stick to your strengths, and if continue to believe that this is the field for you then I have little doubt that you will succeed. You don't need a 3.9 with a 99 on your PCAT to gain admission. I know how you feel right now. Before I got that acceptance letter I felt depressed too, but don't lose hope. If I can do it, so can you. So don't give up!

Last edited:
I am currently in pharmacy school. I was accepted with a GPA of about 3.1-3.2 and a 63 PCAT score. I did have a lot of work experience but no extra curricular activities. I was told by my advisor that I shouldn't waste my time trying to get into pharmacy school. Being the pusher that I am, it took 2 tries at applying, but I was finally accepted. I am maintaining about a 3.4 GPA in pharmacy school. Just don't give up if it's what you really want to do. Sooner or later, somebody is going to take a second look at you. Hope this gives you a little encouragement!

Yea dont give up...

"brick walls are there to test you, and to see if you truely want it"

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are the opposite... decent GPA but minimum-low standardized test score. However, like onehot about the outside activities, I held two leadership positions, solid volunteer work, work at the same job for three years, strong LORs, and one scientific research on the side. I did scored an interview (and now awaiting the results which is such a hell of a wait). The director of admission at my school said, that some people look really good on paper, but they are unable to sell themselves at the interview. He also said that others does not look so good on paper, but they were able to knock the interviewers off their feet, so that's why interviews are important. So PLEASE don't lose hope. You ARE on track if pharmacy is what you really want to do. Just keep swimming and you WILL get there. Strengthen your other aspects (on top of keeping and upping your GPA). :)

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing.

I'll probably be reading this thread over and over agian, until one day, I hopefully don't have to anymore. :xf: :)

I got into Creighton this cycle with a 3.24 cumulative GPA and an 88 PCAT. But I will also have a B.S. in Biochem. Since you have a degree and you can show an upward trend in grades, if you can get a good PCAT score you can definitely get in somewhere.

I graduated with a 3.2 from my university but it wasn't really a 3.2 because I was taking advantage of their grade replacement policy and was using Fs like other people use Ws. When you factor in all my Fs, I think it was just below a 3.0. This happened long ago so I decided to retake all of my prereqs to make them current. I ended up getting all As since then but I think my GPA is only a 3.1 or so. In the end, it didn't matter. I applied to USN and they have academic forgiveness so as far as they are concerned, I have a 4.0. I did take my PCAT in January and got a 99 but no school ever saw it because USN accepted me without it.

You can recover from low grades in your past if you apply to schools that are best suited to your situation. I have heard that some schools only look at your prereq GPA. Some only take the higher of the retakes and at least one has academic forgiveness. And like other posters have mentioned, make yourself competitive on the rest of your application.

Don't lose hope. A couple years ago I used to lurk here and get knots in my stomach because I knew I was going to have to apply with all of those Fs on my transcript. I almost quit before I even began. Now I'm an accepted pharmacy student. Hopefully your story will have a happy ending too.

Hi I'm just loosing a lot of hope lately...

As an undergrad (and not thinking about grad school) I was a mediocre student b/c I didn't care. I was a kid and a degree was just a degree...
As a post-bac, it came back to haunt me. I've been working hard to push me GPA up for the last 1.5 years, but it's a slow process.

My Cum GPA is still low 3.07 or something
My Science is decent, 3.67, b/c I wasn't a science major, I had a fresh science start.

But my Cum is really low...I spoke to an advisor that told me "maybe you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket".... wow, I think I almost cried.

So....can someone please let me know if you got into Pharmacy School recently with similar stats???
What was your PCAT score?
Was there anything else you did that might have helped?

I'm getting pretty scared...

You can always cover up one weak stat. I interview extremely poorly. My GPA was pretty good, 3.55 with an upward trend, but my PCAT was killer. I was able to get in despite trying pretty hard to blow it in the interview. If you can clear 85 on the PCAT, and explain in your personal statement why your grades were lower earlier, I like your chances. And make sure you ace the interview!