Anyone got in with a low gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ach05

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that applied to schools with low gpas (3.0-3.2), and average DAT (20AA-21TS), which schools did you receive interviews at and which ones did you end up being accepted to?

my gpa and DAT scores fall in that range and I also have extensive research with a publication(1600+ hours), many work hours in healthcare, 120 shadowing, and about 100 volunteering hours. I also did a thesis based masters program and finished it with a 3.52 gpa. Anyone applied to any relatively cheap schools and was accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of people do, but having lower stats makes it harder of course. Sounds like your extracurriculars will improve your chances. Your best chance of getting into a cheap school will be through your instate school(s). For most oos friendly schools, realistically you’ll be looking at least $400,000 out of state cost of attendance (tuition + living expenses for 4 years) these days.

Lots of people do, but having lower stats makes it harder of course. Sounds like your extracurriculars will improve your chances. Your best chance of getting into a cheap school will be through your instate school(s). For most oos friendly schools, realistically you’ll be looking at least $400,000 out of state cost of attendance (tuition + living expenses for 4 years) these days.
I’m looking specially at the ones at offer in state tuition after one year. Any idea on my chances for Marquette?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m looking specially at the ones at offer in state tuition after one year. Any idea on my chances for Marquette?
Even when they offer in state tuition after a year, they still up the COA at these schools to at least 400k usually, so do your homework on the actual figures (use the adea guide) and not the school’s selling points. What’s your state of residency?

Got into my top choice dental school with a 2.88 GPA and 19 DAT.

Stats are not everything! Do some research - reach out to schools you are interested in, make connections, build up other aspects of your application, get involved, show leadership skills...etc.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Stats are not everything! Do some research - reach out to schools you are interested in, make connections, build up other aspects of your application, get involved, show leadership skills...etc.
When you say reach out to the schools you’re interested in and make connections.. what do you mean exactly? How can we do that so that we are memorable and such?

Congrats! What school is this?

When you say reach out to the schools you’re interested in and make connections.. what do you mean exactly? How can we do that so that we are memorable and such?

There are soo many ways to engage and make yourself “known” to the school, I’ll list a few.

Call the admissions office of the school you want to go to and ask if they’d be willing to setup a meeting with you to answer admissions questions and give advice....soon would be a great time before this next admissions cycle ramps up and gets busy!

Attend as many pre-dental days or pre-health conferences you can that are put on through dental schools, ASDA, etc...great way to engage with admissions reps and current students. With COVID I assume there will be many virtual meetings this year but still a great chance to engage, speak up and ask questions.

Does the school you like have an admissions social media page? Follow it and you might learn about some events to further your engagement with the school.

By the time I applied for admissions, I had held numerous conversations with the dean of admissions at my school and he could easily distinguish my name from the masses.

Did this get me into dental school? No idea, but it certainly didn’t hurt my chances. Hope this helps, good luck!

Reactions: 3 users