Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

anyone got reject from U of Houston?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by tuanng27, Mar 29, 2004.

1. tuanng27

tuanng27 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

My GPA is3.7 and PCAT is 92 I got a rejection letter from U of H without an interview. anyone with the same boat please share some informatoin. I don't know what do they look for in their candidate? 4.0 and 99 in PCAT. that is insane. :mad:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amith

Amith Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    hmm well I had a 3.6 and 94% and got rejected after an interview :D

4. gdk420

gdk420 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How were other parts of ur application? Meaning, did u have any experience and how was ur essay. In the essay, they are looking to see how much u know about the pharmacy world and why are u motivated to become a pharmacist. I am actually surprise they did not even give u an interview with those scores.

5. Amith

Amith Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm not sure, but maybe I would have gotten in if my application would have been during the early app period.

6. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

I have 3 yrs pharm tech experience, 1 year Phase I FDA clinical research experience, 99% PCAT, and a 3.2 GPA. I got rejected with no interview at U of H. I had my app completed by mid-December. I guess they are not looking for a candidate like me.

Their office staff was also pretty rude to me the two times I called them. So I say screw 'em! :)
    S

7. sweetcalie08

sweetcalie08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Jeesh, it does make you wonder what the adcom is looking for. Yikes, that really sucks.

8. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

My friend tried applying last year with pretty good scores and got rejected without an interview also. She said the staff there was very rude.

9. 64microbus

64microbus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You ever go to a club and have to wait in line? While you're waiting outside, you're thinking the place is hopping with beautiful, cool people. When you finally get inside it's half empty and you realize they were trying to create a buzz. Microbus out

10. Brill

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm surprised some of you didn't even get interviews with those stats. Do y'all have degrees? They're starting to emphasize that more and more each year.

I agree about the staff.

11. emogrrrrl

emogrrrrl I like my freedom
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i'm not sure what you're saying about people having degrees having anything to do with it. i have a degree, in addition to having a 3.4 gpa for prereqs, 3.2 overall, and a 94% pcat in addition to plenty of volunteer and work experience in a pharmacy and i haven't heard a thing from them. i know both shannon and amith have degrees as well. every person i know at UH (about 15) who have/has received an interview does not have a degree and their stats are pretty well below what amith, tuang, shannon and i have posted.
    i'm not a huge UH fan...can you tell =). they give me a headache and they are a pain to deal with. no one can ever give you a straight answer over there. can't wait to finish up my classes this semester and get out of there.
    good luck to all of you.

12. Brill

Pharmacist
    All I'm saying is that having a degree strengthens an application. It seems like for the past few years a greater percentage of each class has one. I know several people that got rejected without a degree and were told that if they had one they would have a much better chance of being accepted.

I'm not an adcom so I can't exactly tell you why someone with those stats wouldn't get accepted. A lot of factors are involved.

13. emogrrrrl

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i wasn't intending to directly attack you brill, i apologize if you took it that way. i just find it very frustrating to know that someone with a pcat score of 77% and a gpa of slightly lower than a 3.0 in prereqs, without a degree (no offense to anyone out there with these stats...this is directed specifically to this school) is getting an interview over people such as tuanng or shanana. in addition to gpa, also having experience in the field and volunteer work experience. to me, that doesn't make any sense. and it's not like UH has anything else to gauge these students by aside from those factors since they don't require that you write a personal statement with your application.

14. Brill

Pharmacist
    I can understand the frustration. The admissions process certainly doesn't make sense sometimes.

15. Amith

Amith Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Is it normal for a short explanation to appear in one's rejection letter as to why that individual was denied? Because my letter from UH just said that I was denied, and that was about it. Ive called and left a message asking to speak with one of the staff there, hopefully they won't be too rude with me =(

16. gdk420

gdk420 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This is what I heard from a student interviewer, so I don't know if this is true or not.

Sometimes they don't always accept the best student simply because sometimes the school is afraid that the very top students would reject them and go to the top tier school. For example, if u score 1500 on ur SAT, did volunteer work in the peace corp, and had some senator write u a recommendation, some state schools would not accept the student simply because they know it would be a waiste of time, those students would be attending an ivy league school, not a state school. Similar thing happens at some pharm school. In order to gurantee a descent size class, they accept the best students from each interview session, and not the best student overall in the entire interview season.
    In addtion, ur essay also saids a lot about u. U would have to show them why u want to become a pharmacist (it better not just be about the money and the stability of the job). U have to show them that u want to help society and show them why in this way. U can help society in so many other ways, why as a pharmacist. Also show tell them that u also have thought this thing through by mentioning what the role of the pharmacist is and what is the future of pharmacy. And are u willing to be a leader in this field and in ur community.
    Also some pharmacy schools I know try to screen some students who want to go to medical school, but chose pharmacy school as their backup plan. One of the things I know some students get ask is, did u ever apply to medical school. They don't want pharmacy school to be ur second choice. Hope this helps, pm me if u have any more questions.

17. emogrrrrl

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    gdk, i've actually come to that conclusion in regards to UH. i think that they are focusing on a lot of kids they know will stay local if they are accepted. alot of the people who apply to UH are from the houston area and most of the kids i know who applied to the school only applied there because they don't want to move out of houston for whatever reasons they may have (family, money, or they just don't like change).
    like i mentioned previously, UH doesn't require a statement of purpose to be turned in with the application. you write 2 essays only if you are granted an interview.
    where do you attend pharmacy school gdk?

18. gdk420

gdk420 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I go to USC. With your stats, I think u should be applying to some of the top pharmacy programs in the country. Try widening the number of schools u applied to. I got rejected from some schools I thought i would get accepted to and I got accepted to schools I thought that would reject me. Most of my acceptance were from private schools. I think the public schools are very difficult to get into since they are mandated to accept a certain number of students from their state.
    Try applying to more private schools. Private schools tend to not care where u come from or where u are willing to practice as long as u are willing to pay the bills.