Anyone got the goods on Tulane, Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwswitzer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm in the midst of applying to Tulane and Georgetown among other schools and was wondering if anyone had the goods on them. i.e.- what to say in the "why us?" essay section of each school's secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

The real answer in most cases is: because you are a medical school, you are there, and I need a medical education! They ask that question because they already suspect that is the reason, so you have be more creative as well as more informed about the school.
You have taken a good first step by asking what people may know about them. Next, read their catalogs. You may actually find something that appeals to you. I always thought that, if I were asking the question, I would be quite satsified with an answer like: "I lived in Big Sky country all my young life. It is time for me to get experience in other environments, to be exposed to new ideas and new ways of thinking, to meet people who may have much to contribute to my growth, the widening of my horizons. New Orleans and Washington DC must be very different from Montana."
Of course, I am not on their admissions committees and they may not satisfied with that answer. I often march to a different drummer and I truly see the most important benefit to be exactly what I suggested: personal growth. I would accept you for that reason alone. But they, most likely, want to hear specific, technical details. I can't help you with that. That approach is narrow-minded in my book, but I won't fight over the issue. I am tolerant of differing opinions. I don't pretend to have the only "truth."

I agree with gower- the location of the schools is something you can focus on. I applied to both those schools (and was accepted), and my essay basically talked about how I was from a small town and was looking for a change of pace. Just be sure to make liberal use of the word "diversity" and you'll be fine.

Hey, thanks for your time and words Gower and Becket.