Anyone had an Interview then a rejection letter right before the Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OR 5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an applicant for an Internal Medicine residency. I had an Osteopathic interview, the interview went well. The interview was about 6-8 weeks ago. The faculty answered my
thank you letters with the usual statements "Enjoyed having you for the interview." "I know you will be a
success." Standard stuff. I had other nice responses to other inerviews that I obtained.
I sent in my rank list and told the program I ranked them as number one, which I honestly did.
Today
was the day to certifiy the rank lists for the Osteopathic Match. Today I recieved a rejection letter from the program. The letter was very brief, very standard, "lots of applicants, you
are a fine applicant, but had more qualified applicants than expected." This is a new program.
This really hurts. Is this usual to get a letter when the Osteopathic match is getting ready to start?
Why did they sent it at all-I fell like I must have really messed up the interview. It's like saying you didn't even make our rank list-

Thanks for any responses-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applicant for Internal Medicine- I had an Osteopathic interview, went well about 6-8 weeks ago. Faculty answered my
thank you letters with the usual "Enjoyed having you for the interview." "I know you will be a
success." Standard stuff. Nice response to other inerviews.
Sent in my rank list and told them I ranked them as number one which I honestly did. Today
all rank lists for the Osteopathic Match are turned in. Today I recieved a rejection letter. Very standard, lots of applicants, you
are a fine applicant, but had more qualified applicants than expected. New program.
This really hurts. Is this usual to get a letter when the Osteopathic match is getting ready to start?
Why did they sent it at all-I fell like I must have really messed up the interview. It's like saying you didn't even make our rank list-

Thanks for any responses-

First off (and I'm trying to be constructive here), your grasp of English grammar/syntax is poor. Even when disregarding your typos, some of your sentences (including the title of this thread) are borderline incoherent. Did you proofread the thank you letters/emails that you sent? Honestly, poor grammar can be a huge turn off to some people.

That aside, I feel like the rejection letter was most likely sent to you in error. This is assuming that the rejection letter you're referring to is from the program you interviewed at 6-8 weeks prior (you didn't actually make this clear in your post). Try calling the program to clarify.

First off (and I'm trying to be constructive here), your grasp of English grammar/syntax is poor. Even when disregarding your typos, some of your sentences (including the title of this thread) are borderline incoherent. Did you proofread the thank you letters/emails that you sent? Honestly, poor grammar can be a huge turn off to some people.

That aside, I feel like the rejection letter was most likely sent to you in error. This is assuming that the rejection letter you're referring to is from the program you interviewed at 6-8 weeks prior (you didn't actually make this clear in your post). Try calling the program to clarify.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry you thought my question was incoherent. I am very upset as this residency is my number one choice. Yes, I did spell check all of my letters of communication with the program.

More importantly, why do you think the rejection letter may have been sent in error? What information do you base that on?

Sorry you thought my question was incoherent. I am very upset as this residency is my number one choice. Yes, I did spell check all of my letters of communication with the program.

More importantly, why do you think the rejection letter may have been sent in error? What information do you base that on?

Typically, rejection letters only go to those applicants that did not receive interviews. There's no logical reason to send a rejection letter to an interviewed applicant when they could just not rank them instead. However, I'm not too familiar with the osteopathic match to really know. I would just call the program to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Especially with ERAS being computer based from the program's side this year, there's a lot of glitches in the system. They might've been trying to send it to the people who didn't interview, but clicked the wrong 'batch' of people to send it too.

Reactions: 1 users
What was the exact wording of the rejection? "Regret to inform you we can extend an interview" -- obvious mistake. "Regret to inform you we did not rank you" -- obvious rejection. Totally ambiguous wording? I still think it's a mistake for the reason @rd31 mentioned.

What was the exact wording of the rejection? "Regret to inform you we can extend an interview" -- obvious mistake. "Regret to inform you we did not rank you" -- obvious rejection. Totally ambiguous wording? I still think it's a mistake for the reason @rd31 mentioned.

The wording stated " You are a fine candidate but it was very competitive. The voting board cannot offer you a position at this time. But I am truely honored
that you interviewed with us." I am confused because if one was that much of a douch bag to not even make the rank list, why would the PD care and write a pleasant letter. I mean why not just let the match proceed? It hurts.

The wording stated " You are a fine candidate but it was very competitive. The voting board cannot offer you a position at this time. But I am truely honored
that you interviewed with us." I am confused because if one was that much of a douch bag to not even make the rank list, why would the PD care and write a pleasant letter. I mean why not just let the match proceed? It hurts.

Yeah...that's weird. I can understand why you'd feel hurt, and I hope the program understands how the Match works and doesn't intend to submit an ROL with the same number of applicants as spots available. Try not to dwell on it too much. Or, if you liked the program, approach one of your letter writers about calling the PD on your behalf. It's certainly not too late for the program to reconsider and amend their ROL.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah...that's weird. I can understand why you'd feel hurt, and I hope the program understands how the Match works and doesn't intend to submit an ROL with the same number of applicants as spots available. Try not to dwell on it too much. Or, if you liked the program, approach one of your letter writers about calling the PD on your behalf. It's certainly not too late for the program to reconsider and amend their ROL.

Thanks guys for your input- I will call the program. I don't think it is a match violation to call since they opened the door. The problem is that this is the Osteopathic Match and yesterday was the
last day for the rank lists to be certified, which makes this even more bizzare.

That is just straight up f***ing weird. Why would they bother to send you that kind of a letter unless the PD is a complete sociopath? Either the PD doesn't understand how the Match works, or he's a total asshat. Either way you're probably better off somewhere else.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks guys for your input- I will call the program. I don't think it is a match violation to call since they opened the door. The problem is that this is the Osteopathic Match and yesterday was the
last day for the rank lists to be certified, which makes this even more bizzare.

Sorry--I missed that it was for the Osteopathic Match when I said there was time for them to reconsider (even though you clearly state it in your opening post). Maybe they thought they should "let you down easy" after they received your enthusiastic "I ranked you first" email. Still...weird response from a program. I hope it's all but forgotten come Match Day when you find out which program will be the lucky one that to gets to train you. :)

There are a lot of DO programs I interviewed at that told us they would let us know "about" where we were on the rank list. They usually say we will tell you if you are highly ranked, ranked, or not ranked. A program doesn't need to rank all of it's interviewed applicants to match all of it's spots. I know a lot of people that have received emails saying they will not be ranked after the interview (I have also received one). I assume it is so that you know and don't waste a high spot on your list for a program that isn't even going to rank you. Since everything is locked in now you might as well see how it plays out, but it sounds like one of these situations unfortunately.

Thanks for your responses. MCL I agree, I think the PD was trying to be "nice" and maybe let me down easy but Gutonc I agree, it is different. MiaMia14-I haven't heard of this practice so far but I guess maybe that is what is happening. However, I would think the PD would have written earlier and not on the very last day, just hours before the deadline for the ROL ceritfication IMHO.Moreover, this PD didn't say he would tell anyone "where they maybe ranked." I am concered MCL &Gutonc that the PD didn't rank enough people. While it is very true the PD doesn't have to rank everyone, usually an applicant has to be a somewhat objectionable candidate to not be ranked. I don't believe I am "that candidate" as my other interview responses didn't reflect that response. Futhermore, even at this residency I received kind words in response to my thank you notes. I don't think they would do that if I was a douch bag.

Last edited:
There are a lot of DO programs I interviewed at that told us they would let us know "about" where we were on the rank list. They usually say we will tell you if you are highly ranked, ranked, or not ranked. A program doesn't need to rank all of it's interviewed applicants to match all of it's spots. I know a lot of people that have received emails saying they will not be ranked after the interview (I have also received one). I assume it is so that you know and don't waste a high spot on your list for a program that isn't even going to rank you. Since everything is locked in now you might as well see how it plays out, but it sounds like one of these situations unfortunately.

weird, given the number of unfilled spots in the DO match, they may want to reconsider that strategy, but...

to the OP...sounds like you are better off NOT being considered by this place...

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I know DO programs do this because I have gotten one of those letters (I think I'm a pretty good interviewee but who knows, I guess we'll see in the match), and multiple programs have told us during the interview process that they would let us know about where we stood with the "highly ranked, ranked, and not ranked" system. Maybe it differs by specialty. I am applying to Ob and there are hardly ever any OB programs that go unfilled on the match. Most places I interviewed at were interviewing around 100 people for 2-4 spots.

I'm a TRI reapplying this year and I had one interview do this. Granted, it was a little different because it was a new program that was interviewing TRIs for advanced positions in addition to their MS4s for PGY 1 positions, but it is what it is.

To MiaMIa14 and Siggy what was the wording of your letters ? Something like "Sorry to inform you that you have not been ranked"? Did they say anything else? Is this a usual thing with new programs not to rank enough people? I would think they would know the game.

To MiaMIa14 and Siggy what was the wording of your letters ? Something like "Sorry to inform you that you have not been ranked"? Did they say anything else? Is this a usual thing with new programs not to rank enough people? I would think they would know the game.

It was like a rejection letter pre-interview but said something along the lines of "unfortunately we will not be ranking you in the upcoming match". I don't think it's that they aren't ranking enough people...like I said, there are never any unmatched positions in the DO match for Ob but that might just be because there are a lot of people applying to Ob and proportionately few osteopathic spots. Obviously they are ranking enough since their spots fill. It doesn't mean they are ranking everyone they interview though.

"Thank you very much for interviewing. High number of very qualified applicants. Unfortunately unable to offer you a spot. Best wishes." However, again, this was for an out of match PGY2 spot in a new program.

So u didn't send an application thru ERAS or the Osteopathic Match? This was off season?

No, the application was through ERAS for the DO match.

So am I understanding this correctly-the general assertion that an applicant must be objectionable or a douch bag to get a Do No Rank is not correct? You can be a good candidate and still not get ranked?

So am I understanding this correctly-the general assertion that an applicant must be objectionable or a douch bag to get a Do No Rank is not correct? You can be a good candidate and still not get ranked?

Barring other considerations, in general to be on a DNR list is, most of the time, an objectionable or douche bag candidate. However your millage may vary, void where prohibited, some exceptions may apply. Some programs might have a very specific view of who they want in their program and if you don't fit that mold during the interview, then you may make a DNR list despite not being described by the first sentence.

I think the general consensus in the acgme match is you probably did something wrong in the interview. As far as the DO side I'm not surprised they would do something like this that makes absolutely no sense. Who knows maybe the NMS charges programs for ranking X many applicants past a certain number.

Yes it's peculiar to tell an applicant they are a fine applicant and honored you interviewed with them but apparently a DNR right before the match- but I've moved on looking forward to the match as everyone else is- just perplexing-

Yes it's peculiar to tell an applicant they are a fine applicant and honored you interviewed with them but apparently a DNR right before the match- but I've moved on looking forward to the match as everyone else is- just perplexing-
You said it's a new program, the first time they end up in the scramble I'm guessing they'll stop doing it. Gl with your match.

So Update Alert:I called and they said they processed all advanced standing candidates out of the match, no ranking- just like a job interview. The person I spoke with was very nice and said nobody is a douch bag! So I learned something new-

So Update Alert:I called and they said they processed all advanced standing candidates out of the match, no ranking- just like a job interview. The person I spoke with was very nice and said nobody is a douch bag! So I learned something new-
What does this mean exactly? That they're just going to make job offers to non PGY1 applicants? Or that they're just not taking anyone who has completed any prior training?

Either way it's still really f***ing weird.

What does this mean exactly? That they're just going to make job offers to non PGY1 applicants? Or that they're just not taking anyone who has completed any prior training?

Either way it's still really f***ing weird.

From what I understand they have 10 spots, 6- 1st years and 4- 2nd years

Was this a new program or a recently expanded program? Why is there 4 open 2nd year spots?

I'm a TRI reapplying this year and I had one interview do this. Granted, it was a little different because it was a new program that was interviewing TRIs for advanced positions in addition to their MS4s for PGY 1 positions, but it is what it is.

Let me guess it's a program in the SW. If it's the one I'm thinking, I bet they are going for applicants in that state.

Last edited:
Siggy, yes it is a brand new program