Anyone had children as a undergrad before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmberE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not seen any posts about people who have had children in undergrad that are under 30. I wanted to hear how things are going and how you manage and balance EC's, good grades, studying mcat, spending time with wife and kids and after this find time to sleep. Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have had 2 kids as an undergrad. My oldest is 5 and my youngest is 2.

It is certainly doable!

I usually do all of my studying after they are in bed for the night and some on the weekends when my husband can help out a bit more with watching them.

As far as not getting any sleep, you actually kinda just get used to it....lol

So far I have been able to work it out where I take most of my classes in the evenings (have done some online) so I have no daycare expenses and am able to spend all day with them.

I just have to prioritize my time more but its really not that bad. My youngest still takes naps so I use that time to study as well.

I take about 15 hrs a semester and pretty much make all A's.

M

My husband is the one who is pre-med. I take care of our two kids but am trying to get into a Rad tech program this fall. Its kind of like being a single mom at times. If feel like he is never home. In the long run it will be well worth the sacrafice, I keep telling myself plus I know he will love his job. All the doctors I've talked to tell me those are their fondest memories as a pre-med and in medical school. You have to be happy now and not wait to be happy and enjoy life when you are there. THere is so much that he has to do. I can't believe the competition for anything in the medical field. Even the program I want to get into is competitive and its nothing like medical school. Anyone one else managing it all, I would like to hear from you too.:)