Anyone had experience applying with a strong upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeKing

Determined Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience applying with a strong upward trend ie 2.5/3.5/4.0/4.0?? What was the outcome? I have a strong upward trend and have done very very well in my tough science courses, but still will probably only graduate my 'public ivy' with a 3.4-3.5 with the last 2 years (when I decided I wanted to pursue medicine) being at 4.0 (3.98 ish to be exact). I have As in courses like Orgo 1 and 2 Physics 1,2, Genetics, Molecular Bio but I got a C/C+ in Gen Chem 1,2 as a freshman and a writing course. Stupid Freshman, I know. I am taking the MCAT in January and am averaging between 31-33 on practice exams already and am making an all out effort to get in the mid 30s or above. I am planning on applying broadly and early for the fall of 2015 but I am very strongly considering an SMP for that fall as well. I have very strong and unique ECs and a good explanation for my poor freshman performance.

Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone had experience applying with a strong upward trend ie 2.5/3.5/4.0/4.0?? What was the outcome? I have a strong upward trend and have done very very well in my tough science courses, but still will probably only graduate my 'public ivy' with a 3.4-3.5 with the last 2 years (when I decided I wanted to pursue medicine) being at 4.0 (3.98 ish to be exact). I have As in courses like Orgo 1 and 2 Physics 1,2, Genetics, Molecular Bio but I got a C/C+ in Gen Chem 1,2 as a freshman and a writing course. Stupid Freshman, I know. I am taking the MCAT in January and am averaging between 31-33 on practice exams already and am making an all out effort to get in the mid 30s or above. I am planning on applying broadly and early for the fall of 2015 but I am very strongly considering an SMP for that fall as well. I have very strong and unique ECs and a good explanation for my poor freshman performance.

Thoughts??

I don't think you should waste money with an SMP. 3.5 is within the 10th-90th range of many midtiers. You'd probably be better served by finding a relevant job (either research or clinical) and working during your gap year, especially if your ECs are very strong. You do need a nice strong MCAT, though.

That is true, I have also heard (rumors) that certain SMPs allocate spots in their respective medical school for SMP students who do well. This is where I see the most value in an SMP- doing well and just being able to stay where you are. I have also heard that sometimes since you are taking the same classes as a medical student you can enter the medical program as a 2nd year? I dont know if this is true.

Also the 3.5 is absolute best case scenario (continue 4.0 all the way thru and retake some classes and average the grades AAMC style), it will most likely be closer to 3.4

Members don't see this ad :)
That is true, I have also heard (rumors) that certain SMPs allocate spots in their respective medical school for SMP students who do well. This is where I see the most value in an SMP- doing well and just being able to stay where you are. I have also heard that sometimes since you are taking the same classes as a medical student you can enter the medical program as a 2nd year? I dont know if this is true.

Also the 3.5 is absolute best case scenario (continue 4.0 all the way thru and retake some classes and average the grades AAMC style), it will most likely be closer to 3.4

If you have TRULY stellar ECs, many doors will open, especially if you pair that with a stellar MCAT. If all your weakness is in freshman year Adcoms will have little reason to doubt your academics.

I don't know much about the advantages/disadvantages of SMP linkages and how that plays out in terms of financial aid or second year standing. I just know people with great ECs who were able to get into medical school even though their academic records had early blemishes. If you have a lot going for you, do you want to lock yourself into an SMP linkage and never know what your other options would have been? It's a very personal choice. And the money factor is substantial.

If you have TRULY stellar ECs, many doors will open, especially if you pair that with a stellar MCAT. If all your weakness is in freshman year Adcoms will have little reason to doubt your academics.

I don't know much about the advantages/disadvantages of SMP linkages and how that plays out in terms of financial aid or second year standing. I just know people with great ECs who were able to get into medical school even though their academic records had early blemishes. If you have a lot going for you, do you want to lock yourself into an SMP linkage and never know what your other options would have been? It's a very personal choice. And the money factor is substantial.

Awesome thanks for the advice! Yeah I mean my ECs are pretty unique but I wouldnt say stellar (yet). As some applicants have insane ECs.

Here is a list so far. If you have input into what to work on.

D1-A football player (1 year, ended with injury- read low gpa)
Synthetic Bio internship (designing enzymes for use in classrooms)
Exec Board of fraternity (Scholarship. Which provided much opportunity to tutor others)
Full time work as a Certified Personal Trainer 1 yr (Got me interested in the human body)
Volunteer in spinal cord injury rehab center- 80 hrs
Started a cancer philanthropy in Greek Community that made it to front page of school paper
Founding member of club that provides connections to students interested in research with faculty members

*Shadowing GP 50 hrs. (In Progress)
*ER Scribe (Starting Fall)

Misc:
Tutoring 100s of hours (Calc, Ochem primarily)
Note taking for disabled students
Handing out childerens books at health care centers in underprivileged areas.
Worked on getting the largest turnout of students in school history to vote on a 100m dollar school facility.

From here on out I am going to put a heavy emphasis on clinical ECs

Thoughts??

lol wut is a public ivy

Lol a nickname for the school I attend. Its regarded as a 'public ivy' ie. it is a good school with lots of research. Maybe I was a little ambitious to use that term

Lol a nickname for the school I attend. Its regarded as a 'public ivy' ie. it is a good school with lots of research. Maybe I was a little ambitious to use that term

don't waste your time, it doesn't impress anyone

Aren't UC-Berkeley and UMichigan considered "public ivies"??

Anyways, OP I think you will be fine if you do well on your MCAT and work on getting good healthcare experience (paid or volunteering). Check the MSAR to see where your stats line up and apply broadly.

I think you're in good shape and I agree you don't necessarily need to do an SMP.

You have a strong set of ECs, so that'll already help you. As long as your overall GPA improves to 3.4-3.5, then you'll pass all but the most difficult automatic screens. From there, adcoms will see the strong upward trend, (hopefully) great MCAT, and strong ECs. You proved you can handle the harder (upper level) science courses too. I have very limited experience with this (applying in the current cycle), but there should be a school that will take you if you apply broadly.

That said, you have to nail your MCAT. Good luck!

Yeah lol.

Anyway yea OP I think you're in good shape. I have several interviews scheduled right now with an upward trend since frosh/soph year + a post-bacc year. It's absolutely possible, I would say apply if you have a 30+ MCAT unless you are dead set on higher tier schools...then you would need an SMP or extensive research or...something.

I came into the application process just hoping to get one or two interviews and knowing that I would go anywhere I got accepted even if it was thousands of miles from home, which is the way you really have to go into it until you have a few interviews under your belt.

Good luck!

:confused: You can use that term OP, public ivy is a pretty well-accepted phrase at this point. You don't want to throw it around the same way ivy students don't want to throw their school around, but there's nothing particularly wrong with using it.

I have a pretty strong upward trend as well, and was told by many faculty that it is looked way better upon than if you start strong and go down, and that it shows you haven't peaked yet. I wouldn't worry too much, like everyone said, MCAT is key.

:confused: You can use that term OP, public ivy is a pretty well-accepted phrase at this point. You don't want to throw it around the same way ivy students don't want to throw their school around, but there's nothing particularly wrong with using it.

the ivy league is an athletic conference. calling your school a public ivy makes you sound like a wannabe

I was just using the term to give an idea about the school I attend. I didn't mean to sound pretentious or like a wannabe. I could have said a large state research university but public ivy is easier to say haha

I was just using the term to give an idea about the school I attend. I didn't mean to sound pretentious or like a wannabe. I could have said a large state research university but public ivy is easier to say haha

You sounded fine. Public ivy is a fairly common term used to distinguish between certain more prestigious research-oriented public institutions from others without that focus. People here are oversensitive and like needling people.

Last edited:
the ivy league is an athletic conference. calling your school a public ivy makes you sound like a wannabe

You sounded fine. Public ivy is a fairly common term used to distinguish between certain more prestigious research-oriented public institutions from others without that focus. People here are oversensitive and like needling people.

I agree with SN here. I know what you're trying to say, but it seems that you're not familiar with the common usage of the term now. Public ivy is a pretty commonly accepted term, rightly or wrongly. There is plenty of room to think someone is a wannabe for using it, but people are going to hate on students whether they attend an ivy, public ivy, or a community college. My point is simply that it's not an unusual phrase to use and certainly shouldn't be flatly condemned.