Anyone had experience or know anything about the MFT PsyD prgram @ Alliant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starkarcadia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently a psychology undergrad, but am already looking at schools to further my education. I live in the Southern California (close to San Bernardino) area and I'm not mobile, so my choices for school are quite limited.

We've all heard the negative (and sometimes) positive things about schools such as Alliant, so I don't want this thread to become a bashing thread. I've already read them. I'd like some specific information.

My question is that I recently I found out about the PsyD in MFT program. It's not clinical psychology, but it allows one to be a licensed mft and a licensed psychologist. I've heard some negative things about the clinical psychology program there (mostly fr. SDN) and the match rates from APA do sound a bit :thumbdown:, but does anyone have anything to contribute about the PsyD program in MFT???

The PsyD in MFT there is accredited by aamft and coamfte, not by the APA. I was wondering if anyone had knowledge, experience, a friend who went there, etc, etc. I'd really appreciate that. Thankyou.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a coworker who did her MFT there. She now makes $18/hour doing behavior therapy for autistic kids not too far from where you presumably are. I think she enjoyed her time at Alliant. Not sure I can provide much else beyond that. She took at least some classes with the doctoral students.

(Btw, MFT≠licensed psychologist but it does allow you to become licensed as a LMFT)

Hi Apumic,

Thanks for your input:)

You wrote that, "(Btw, MFT≠licensed psychologist but it does allow you to become licensed as a LMFT)"

I wasn't sure what you meant. I know as an mft you wouldn't be a psyd, but they have the psyd in mft and it says it's the only one in the country??? how they managed that i'm not sure. On their website it says that getting your Psyd in MFT not clinical psych, would allow you to become a licensed psychologist.

I have a teacher who went through the psyd in mft program there and I'm currently trying to get a hold of her to see what her thoughts are about it.

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems a bit vague about being able to get licensed as a psychologist. It lists licensure options as an MFT and also as a "psychologist", but the program isn't registered with the APA as an approved program. You can still get licensed (in most states) without being an approved program, but I'd be VERY weary of this option. Keep in mind that you'd have to secure an internship position, post-doc, etc. before being licensure eligible.

The training requirements list a 1500 hour requirement (and supervision by an MFT), though this is short of the requirement for most/all states for psychologists.

*edit*

Here is what the website says about accreditation:--

Four clinical psychology PhD programs and four clinical psychology PsyD clinical programs offered by CSPP on the Fresno, Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco Bay campuses are separately accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA).
Alliant's MA program and PsyD programs in Marital and Family Therapy, offered in San Diego and Irvine, are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. The master's program is one of only four COAMFTE accredited programs in California and the doctoral program is the only accredited MFT doctoral program in California and the first COAMFTE-accredited PsyD program in the country.
--

So definitely not APA-accredited.

Last edited:
there is no way one could get licensed as a psychologist with a psyd in mft without some respecialization program. at least in a bunch of states.

If you are interested in doing marriage and family therapy, then you don't need a doctoral degree. I would highly recommend getting a Masters instead and saving on the extra years of tuition.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to thankyou guys for responding:) I'm doing my undergrad and feel a bit lost when it comes to future education. I'm still trying to find a school that would be the best fit for me.