Anyone has a dog during dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbylee123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is pertaining to anyone that has a dog during dental school. Did you have time to take care of it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
xwonderful-world.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ehp7u76FPNngOwITF5dU.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get a dog unless you have a non dental school roommate. Leaving a dog locked in an apartment from 730-6 is cruel.

Get a cat if you have to have a pet.

Don't get a dog unless you have a non dental school roommate. Leaving a dog locked in an apartment from 730-6 is cruel.

Get a cat if you have to have a pet.
:thumbdown::vomit:

Reactions: 7 users
I don't know of anyone in my year who has dogs, but a lot of people have cats and that seems to be going well. I have cats myself and it hasn't been an issue.

Better not to have a dog. You will be at school for long hours and a dog will feel lonely. Or your school will suffer if you spend less time in school and more with the dog. Fish or plant?

I have a dog, a cat and am gonna have a kid during dental school... God bless me!

Reactions: 2 users
I have a dog, a cat and am gonna have a kid during dental school... God bless me!

Thus you have a companion, unlike most others here who are single.

The "dogs rule cats drool" trope needs to die already. A cat/dog pet buddy combo is the best thing ever. If you can't see the positive qualities of both pets, you're either insecure or irrationally biased based on preconceptions you have and images that have been pushed on you your whole life. But wait oops I almost forgot how no real man should ever consider owning a cat and dogs are the greatest creature to ever grace this planet. Cats have absolutely no redeeming qualities and dogs are flawless. /s

For real though, my cat plays fetch almost better than my dog and is just cleaner in general. They're best buds but my cat can boss my dog around as if he wasn't out matched by about 30 lbs. It's hilarious.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 large dogs (one which was a puppy during D1 year). But I also have a spouse (although he is gone the same hours I am). I don't have any issues with accidents or anything. I'm only a mile from the dental school, so if I know both of us will be gone for a full day I can walk to my house over the lunch hour and let them out. We also have a huge fenced in yard, so if the weather is nice enough I can put out their kiddie pool and leave them, no problem.

There is one classmate who lives by herself and has a dog. No issues. She takes him running before and/or after classes every day and he has been an angel in her apartment.

Reactions: 1 users
The "dogs rule cats drool" trope needs to die already. A cat/dog pet buddy combo is the best thing ever. If you can't see the positive qualities of both pets, you're either insecure or irrationally biased based on preconceptions you have and images that have been pushed on you your whole life. But wait oops I almost forgot how no real man should ever consider owning a cat and dogs are the greatest creature to ever grace this planet. Cats have absolutely no redeeming qualities and dogs are flawless. /s

For real though, my cat plays fetch almost better than my dog and is just cleaner in general. They're best buds but my cat can boss my dog around as if he wasn't out matched by about 30 lbs. It's hilarious.
Woahhhhhhh calm down, I used two emojis and are you getting hurt in the butt sir? I like fluffy kittens but I prefer big fluffy dogs a lot more. I can sense your nociceptors must be registering a lot of childhood pain, calling me insecure..:hello:

It depends on your situation. Just be practical. Consider the fact that most dental schools require you to be in school from 8-5pm with just one hour break. Sometimes you could be in there till 7pm. A dog needs attention and some interaction during the day. If you have someone who is going to be home a lot such as a spouse, friend, kids, or even another pet, than sure get a dog. But in my opinion, if you are not going to have any time to interact with your dog, why get one? Again, the ultimate choice is yours and depends on your situation. Make sure you consider the life of your pet and not just your own.

It depends on your situation. Just be practical. Consider the fact that most dental schools require you to be in school from 8-5pm with just one hour break. Sometimes you could be in there till 7pm. A dog needs attention and some interaction during the day. If you have someone who is going to be home a lot such as a spouse, friend, kids, or even another pet, than sure get a dog. But in my opinion, if you are not going to have any time to interact with your dog, why get one? Again, the ultimate choice is yours and depends on your situation. Make sure you consider the life of your pet and not just your own.
Also, if you can budget it in and still want a dog, consider hiring an undergrad to walk your dog or if you have doggie day cares near by, you can usually do that for $100/wk. That way your dog will get the exercise and attention they may be missing on your long days.

^
|
|
|
:troll:
5,200 a year to walk a dog haha that's how much my rent costs a year

^
|
|
|
:troll:
5,200 a year to walk a dog haha that's how much my rent costs a year
Hence why I said if it's in the budget? Such as a partner whom brings in an income or minimizing your expenses.

Some people might spend $100/week going out to eat and going to bars. A student who wants a dog may prioritize their money differently.

Plus thats for 5 days of day care, whereas if you hire a dog walker for only 1 or 2 times a week that could be closer to $25 week. Don't consider getting a dog if you aren't willing to put forth the money and/or time required for them.

Didn't realize that was trolling...

Good point I retract the statement. It makes sense and I suppose if you really want a dog you have to make sacrifices.

sigh im owning a dog and seeing him by himself is sad, he is sad too, you can tell by looking at him.

cats........they probaby dont consider you as their owner/boss so they are always happy as long as food is provided

Id say get an aquarium. I've kept fish for many years and I find it very relaxing to maintain the tank.

I love dogs more than anything. Do not get one unless someone is at home to care for it. I've watched my sisters not take that advice, and it's a drag... for them and the dogs.

I'm living with my girlfriend and another friend from undergrad and we're gonna have two dogs in our apartment (yikes). But I'm the only one in dental school and our schedules work out well enough that someone will be home to walk them a few times per day. Don't do it unless you can work out some kind of arrangement like that. Dogs can get separation anxiety and forcing them to hold their bladder for that long is borderline torture. If you're thinking of getting a puppy, you don't have to worry about them holding their bladder nearly as much as you have to worry about walking home to an apartment of pee and doodie everywhere.

Ok it is pleasant to have someone to meet you at home after a long day, but. Can you afford pet vet care? daycare or walker? Pet deposit and monthly pet rent? What are you going to do if they have a separation anxiety and you get complains or eviction notice?
If you have a budget get two smaller dogs or cat and a dog. They would not feel lonely and less likely to make a lot of noise
During clinic often you will have to stay a lot longer to finish lab work - it is just not fair to leave a dog by itself for that long

I highly suggest purchasing a king sized bed. Then get at least a dozen little fuzzy warm puppies. Final step: romp around on the bed to relieve stress!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 8.51.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 8.51.47 PM.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator: