1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone have a bad interview experience at Penn State Med

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by HOSS, Jan 8, 2002.

1. HOSS

HOSS Member
    7+ Year Member

I was there yesterday and had an awful experience with one of the interviewers. He decided to go over classes that I took 2 years ago and ask me specific questions from those topics. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and survived for an acceptance. You know misery loves company especially with us pre-meds. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. that's very shatty. i'm thinking they might do the same for me since i'm taking 'med school classes' right now for my master's program. so i'm rereading all my histology notes from last semester. anything beyond that, i can't imagine having to recall.

matter of fact, i bet nobody really ever answers his questions correctly. most of us, in undergrad, as just proving ourselves with grades, not truly devoting ourselves to learning every little class we happen to take. for example, if i'm asked anything about an ArtHistory class i took, i won't remeber that!! am i expected to? "i was filling a requirement...." i can see myself shrinking before the interviewers eyes.

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wonder if he asked about a class from two years ago because that is how much time is between your first med school classes and the USML 1. Maybe they are checking retention rates of the applicants. That would mess up most of us I think.

What class was he asking you about? Was it info that would have been covered by the MCAT or a class not tested for on the MCAT?

5. merlin

merlin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't remember if it was Penn State, but I know my friend interviewed at (and is now going to) Penn State last year, and was asked a lot about classes she had taken her freshman year. Maybe thats just how it goes there. Good luck anyways.

6. ewells

ewells Big Daddy
    7+ Year Member

Sorry Hoss, I had a great time there yesterday. Which group were you in? I was in the morning session (the one who would not shut up about if students with families got enough support there). I was close to asking if anyone else was a member; I wish that I had.

Both of my interviews were very laid back. Later, I thought of a million things that I would have liked to have said, but oh well...

7. HOSS

HOSS Member
    7+ Year Member

They asked me about specific pathways from Biochemistry, which was rough. EWells, I was in the second group interviewed yesterday. Good luck with everything and with your family, maybe we will end up in the same class, if that interviewer doesnt completey screwe me.

8. irongirl

irongirl Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed at Penn State in October. I found it to be a very pleasant experience. Both of my interviewers were great and mostly just wanted to talk about what I had done, what my motivations for going into medicine are, etc... typical interview questions. I did get a few tougher ethics questions from the humanities prof. In fact, my favorite question from him was "what do you think about death". I asked him to be a little more specific, so he sad, "well, you are from Oregon..." So I talked about my views of assisted suicide with him. I gave him a very liberal answer, even supported euthanasia. I figured I didn't have too much to lose b/c I already had an acceptance. He must have liked my answer, I was accepted there too.

9. ewells

ewells Big Daddy
    7+ Year Member

HOSS, which person were you? If it's HOSS as in Bonanza, you are probably the guy from Maryland. Hope to see you next year.