Anyone have a criminal conviction in their past or have info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachel3511

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I am a third year UG student and will be applying for med schools next year.

My question is this, due to being with the wrong person at the wrong time, I have a petty theft (misdemeanor) conviction from six years ago. I am now 26.

Does anyone know if this will bar me from receiving a medical license? Anyone know where I can find out more info?

Thanks very much for the help!

Rachel

Members don't see this ad.

It certainly won't keep you from getting a license to practice, but you may have some explaining to do in your applications. There's a part of the AMCAS that asks specifically if you've had any criminal convictions and you have some 1300 characters to explain it. How do you have a petty theft conviction by being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Hope all goes well!

-dope-

dopaminophile said:
How do you have a petty theft conviction by being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Hope all goes well!

-dope-

She said she was with the wrong PERSON at the wrong time. I can see that happening. Actually, something similar happened to me, although I didn't get convicted of anything. I even mentioned it in my personal statement, and I still received secondaries from schools that screen (e.g. NYU, VCU, UNC). Having gone through such an experience and coming out of it a better, stronger person shows a progression of maturation on your part, so I don't think it will hurt you at most schools. And if certain schools look down on it, oh well, there will be others that understand. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
rachel3511 said:
Hello everyone:

I am a third year UG student and will be applying for med schools next year.

My question is this, due to being with the wrong person at the wrong time, I have a petty theft (misdemeanor) conviction from six years ago. I am now 26.

Does anyone know if this will bar me from receiving a medical license? Anyone know where I can find out more info?

Thanks very much for the help!

Rachel

Certain states allow one's records to be expunged of a criminal violation a few years after the terms of sentencing have been met. In that case, you would not have to answer "yes" to the question "Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic incident". I would advise consulting an attorney as soon as possible.

dopaminophile said:
It certainly won't keep you from getting a license to practice, but you may have some explaining to do in your applications. There's a part of the AMCAS that asks specifically if you've had any criminal convictions and you have some 1300 characters to explain it. How do you have a petty theft conviction by being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Hope all goes well!

-dope-

He said this was a misdemeanor conviction, so he doesn't have to say anything about it on the AMCAS application. That only asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony. Most secondaries, however, will ask if you've ever been convicted of any crime, so he will have to report it then. It shouldn't make a big difference though, adcoms understand that people make mistakes, and since this happened 6 years ago I don't think it will be a big deal at all.

This topic pops up every three months or so, I encourage you to do a quick search for old threads.

Thank you to everyone for their replies!

I have pulled up several older threads, and feel much better about the situation, except for OH which is where I live!

I actually want to get licensed in another state anyway, so that works out well.