Anyone have a list of schools accepting biochem instead of Orgo II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amph119

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What the title says :)

I don't have an updated copy of MSAR, and am currently trying to figure out if/when I should take orgo II lecture.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at your MDApps- I would advise taking Orgo 2... One doing OChem research you should have a bigger foundation and two it seems like you want to get into a good school (your stats are great) and I wouldn't want to close ANY door by not taking Orgo 2 (which in my opinion is easier than Orgo 1)

Looking at your MDApps- I would advise taking Orgo 2... One doing OChem research you should have a bigger foundation and two it seems like you want to get into a good school (your stats are great) and I wouldn't want to close ANY door by not taking Orgo 2 (which in my opinion is easier than Orgo 1)

yeah I think over the course of today I've decided that I probably should. That really throws a wrench into my schedule for my last 3 semesters, though. Oh well.

My problem is my degree needs biochemistry, so I decided to take that over orgo II this semester. And like you said, I don't really want to be confined to certian schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've personally contacted many med schools and they accept Orgo 1 (with labs) and Biochem (with labs) to satisfy the full year of Orgo pre-requisite.

I don't have an updated copy of MSAR, and am currently trying to figure out if/when I should take orgo II lecture.

Most schools I'm aware of expect you to take Orgo II. A small handful require biochem on top of that. I guess from this thread that some are permitting biochem but I doubt it's generally that widespread. I would take Orgo II. Orgo II is fair game on the MCAT and there were quite a few questions on the version of the test I had a few years back. And you will have biochem again in med school, so you may as well let it keep, IMHO.

are there any schools that require a full year of biochemistry (i.e. biochem 1 and 2).

are there any schools that require a full year of biochemistry (i.e. biochem 1 and 2).

I haven't seen any. I have seen a few that require one semester of Biochem, but not two.

biochem is much harder/worse than ochem...

biochem is much harder/worse than ochem...

That really depends on how hard your school's orgo was. I have taken 3 biochemistries, all graduate level and at different schools , one in medical school, and none of them were harder than my schools undergraduate orgo. Biochem came pretty natural to me, orgo didn't.