riverjib

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
My IBM Thinkpad (Lenovo) has given me endless problems. I consulted my IT friends before buying it, but it's less than two years old and has problems nobody can explain.

It was too heavy to lug around campus, anyway. I want to buy a mini ($300-500) that I can realistically carry across my giant campus. I just need it for Word, Excel, Power point, and internet. I'm currently putting together my senior thesis at midnight because my computer is not working and my fiance is sleeping so I can use his. This is not a good situation!!!

I'm looking to spend ideally $300-400, but up to $500. I have a giant external disk drive, so I don't need too much storage or anything fancy. I just need something that is reliable with Microsoft office and the internet, and I prefer suggestions from those who have found good mini laptops for this purpose, rather than an overwhelming number of reviews from CNET. Can anyone recommend a mini laptop that is really great for these purposes?

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
I love my Acer Netbook. It's ligt it's small and a dirty little power machine, and it's pink, but comes in several other colors.

A

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
the iPhone BIG...errr... iPad. ...Oh wait, you asked for what? you didn't want a new, $500 placemat for those midnight snacks? Oh, sorry, got that wrong. Well, in that case, may I interest you in one of these: HP Mini 1962

organdonor

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My fiance couldn't be happier with her new Asus netbook.

Before you get a netbook, be sure you know what it is good for, and more importantly, what it is not. A netbook is very light and is great for portability. It is not good at anything that needs a moderately powerful processor. High level gaming or video editing is out of the question, for any netbook. They will not play CD's or DVD's (although most important programs you can download from the internet including antivirus, word processors, printer drivers). If you are accustomed to a regular sized keypad, do not expect to type very long on a netbook. The keypad is small, cramped, and uncomfortable. The mousepad is also very small. A separate mouse (bluetooth perhaps?) may be a good investment. I definitely do not recommend a netbook to replace a laptop or desktop; however, it makes a great supplement.

Ok now that that is done lol. We love hers. We routinely get about 7-8 hrs battery life on it. Asus offers a free 1 year warranty. The power cable is EXTREMELY long, which is a good thing. It has a ridiculously big hard drive, of which we will never use 80%. It also came with Windows 7. Seriously, if you haven't tried it yet, get Windows 7. I hate microsoft, I hate word, I hate powerpoint, I despised Vista, but man Windows 7 just rocks.

organdonor

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is hers. They've got it listed for 300.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Eee+PC+Netbook+with+Intel®+Atom™+Processor+-+Midnight+Blue/9705433.p?id=1218154378164&skuId=9705433

I know it is a little above the price range that you stated at 730, but at least give this laptop a shot. It is another Asus, but is a full fledged laptop, not a netbook. I'm typing on one right now. It also has the 1 year free warranty. The good thing about this laptop is that it is good for literally everything. It is powerful enough with a core 2 duo processor, 4gb of RAM, and a 500 gb hard drive to be your main computer. It is also light enough to be VERY portable. It is the lightest 15" screen around. I get about 8 hrs per charge, with only moderate power saving features.

This has the capability of pulling double duty as both a portable machine to bring to class and the computing power of your desktop.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel®+Core™2+Duo+Processor+-+Black/9701931.p?id=1218153002507&skuId=9701931

Hoody

Removed
Jul 1, 2009
Status
I love my Acer Netbook. It's ligt it's small and a dirty little power machine, and it's pink, but comes in several other colors.

A
same. I have an acer for a travel/spare. not sure what style exactly, but it cost ~$300. It works extrememly well for the most part. :thumbup:

riverjib

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2009
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
the iPhone BIG...errr... iPad. ...Oh wait, you asked for what? you didn't want a new, $500 placemat for those midnight snacks? Oh, sorry, got that wrong. Well, in that case, may I interest you in one of these: HP Mini 1962
I love my iPhone! Can't put together a ppt on it, though. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it, especially since HP is offering student discounts.

Organdonor, thanks for the suggestion, too, but I definitely can't afford anything over $500. I can't really afford anything over $300, but I left a little cushion in case anyone had stellar recommendations that went just over $300-400.

My fiance and I are full-time students living midway between our schools with 40 minute commutes. We're living on loans and the little money we make teaching and working between semesters. Since my computer crashed, I just need something that will let me do the limited MS Office work I need to do so I don't have to move into my lab during the week :)

Jesse3093

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I second the vote for ASUS netbooks, both me and my brother are computer nerds and we find them more then sufficient for netbook use.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Eee+PC+Netbook+with+Intel®+Atom™+Processor+-+Black/9728286.p?id=1218161507219&skuId=9728286

heres a $299 version. decent 1.6 ghz proc., 1gb ram, 6-cell battery (~8Hr), window7 startup, ect

one reason why i recommend Asus netbooks is you can upgrade to 2Gb ram really easy. You dont have to do it right away but will make programs run smoother.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Some advice about Netbooks though: you do not want one to be your only computer

They're freaking awesome for most things: video chatting, updating Facebook, watching youtube/TV/movies, word processing, web browsing, email. They're essentially very small computers (contrast to the iPad, which is pretty much a large cell phone).

But they're limited by processing power. Again they do everything a big computer does, but their processors are slower. Mine is awesome for when I don't want to boot up my tower or when I just want to lay in bed and watch Lost. I just wouldn't want it to be my only computer.

I'd suggest something in the middle. A cheap Acer or HP would be a fine way to go. I think Asus is a great brand too.

Mar 15, 2010
Orlando/Tally, FL
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Anyone ever had problems with the screens going bad, with all the jostling, opening, etc.?

MB333999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
My laptop broke so I am using a temporary "mini laptop" and i absolutely hate it. Screen way too small, keyboard will give u carpeltunnels (sp?) cant play games, its just all around ****ty.

papilliontat2

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a big techie and really small gal who is relatively weak so I was on of the 1st to get an ASUS eee PC....and now I have both an ASUS eeePC and a UL30 (13.3 inch laptop)..let me tell u i do EVERYTHING on my eeePC and I expanded the memory with an SD card and now I still use it more than the regular laptop!...just amazing...if u can't afford a MAC then the only way to see the true power and function of a PC is from ASUS :)
P.S and u can get a ASUS 1201 under $500, its like a net book but almost fullsized and the typing is awesome!

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I have my Lenovo thinkpad. It's okay, considering it's a netbook.

Pwny

pew pew pew!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Nowhere in particular
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a dell mini 8 (they have 10 out right now, but I like the 8s better). It's the most wonderful thing I own, and I've completely phased out use of my heavy laptop on campus. good battery life, doesn't overheat quickly, has a solid state drive. I've upgraded it as well with an internal.

and since mine's white, if I wanted to trick people into thinking that Apple came out with awesome netbooks, I can just stick an Apple logo sticker on the front! :D

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
L.A.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I've been using using ASUS motherboards for 10 years now, so of course my first laptop was an ASUS laptop. So if I had a mini laptop that I really liked, it would be an ASUS Eee netbook with an AMD processor and I would go ahead and run Jolicloud OS on it. :D

Edit: I just went to the ASUS website and this is one of the rotating front page advertisements. ;)

:zip:

Last edited:

Dianyla

in denial
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Status
Pre-Medical
I was lusting after the ASUS netbooks for years... until the Samsung N310 GO came out. The engineering is solid, and the design and styling on this are drop dead sexy. :love:

tr0gd0r

grrr.
Jul 24, 2009
VA
Status
I highly recommend the HP Mini 311...I bought it to replace my old G4 PowerBook (not much of a replacement, but much cheaper!) and I love it. It's a little bigger than a normal netbook (11.6''), NVIDIA graphics card, and only $400. Plus CNET is a fan. If you want a smaller netbook, I hear good things about the other HP minis. And if you don't want Windows, the newest version of Ubuntu runs fabulously on this machine.

reflex

10+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2005
Status
The Lenovo tablet notebooks are pretty solid, but mighty expensive. They're pretty useful for drawing any diagrams too!

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
My IBM Thinkpad (Lenovo) has given me endless problems. I consulted my IT friends before buying it, but it's less than two years old and has problems nobody can explain.
If brands matter to you here are information.

Lenovo: China (IBM was merged with chinese)
Asus, Acer: Taiwan
HP, Compaq, Gateway: USA
Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba: Japan
Samsung: South Korea