Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Anyone have an iphone and taking it to med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by meganmarie, Jan 2, 2009.

1. meganmarie

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hi everyone, I am thinking about getting an iphone, and I have seen some really cool apps that could potentially help out in med school.....anyone have an iphone and car to share their experiences! Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dissected

Dissected All bleeding stops eventually
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have one. I love it, its the most useful thing I have ever held in my hand. I would recommend it to anyone.

4. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    ive heard you can download Netters anatomy flash cards on to your iphone....that seems pretty coool.

5. meganmarie

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student

yeah you can! It is really cool, I saw it on my friend's ipod touch...I think it would be a pretty cool tool to have!

6. TeamZissou

TeamZissou jaferd
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  7. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

There are some really helpful threads about the iPhone and med school in our very own Tech Forum, too. Enjoy!

8. Flushot

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ah, the tech forum is so woefully empty. It does have a good thread about iPhone/iPod touch programs though.

On that note, wouldn't a Touch suffice if you're mainly interested in those programs? I can't jump ship from my provider in the near future.

9. brucecanbeatyou

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm going to wait until clinical rotations to get one. Hopefully they'll be even more awesome by then.

10. aterry

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Look on facebook, the netter's application is on there as a group. Also, I am getting the G! (google phone) in April. I am thinking that smart phones are going to be more and more indispensable the busier we get in med school. If anything, it keeps you connected via email without having to carry your laptop around. Another thing too....if you are moving to school and not familiar with the area, having a phone with GPS is extremely useful.

Edit: If you don't know this already, the smartphone version of SDN is not too bad. I prefer it to the regular version sometimes.

11. Chocolate Bear

There are a few REALLY helpful posters who are always glad to help!

I asked people's opinions on this very matter, here.

12. meganmarie

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student

yeah the touch is awesome, but it comes with perfect timing, my contract with verizon will be up this coming spring....but if I couldn't get out of my contract I would definitely get a touch

13. hopefuldoc87

hopefuldoc87 Killer tofu
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i have the iphone and can easily tell you that i will never go back to a regular phone. ever.

its probably one of the best little inventions. the good thing about it as opposed to the itouch is the internet connection. the itouch needs a wireless network to connect to, whereas the iphone connects to the super fast 3G network, so you can go online almost anywhere (a note on this though, when i interviewed at UVM, there is no 3G coverage in burlington, vermont, so you jus connect to the little slower edge network). thats something to consider if you're going somewhere away for medical school; no point in getting the 3G iphone if theres no 3G coverage at your medical school.

hope that advice helps!

14. fireflygirl

fireflygirl The Ultimate Blindian
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I love having mine in school too. I don't even use it for half of the apps I could be, but I still find it very useful for just random things. And I loved having Netters on it. On the bad side, if I'm stuck in a really boring lecture, I start checking my email and checking out the news and other websites, so in that way, it can be a very bad distraction!

15. Flushot

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, I do want a new mp3 player too. It seemed worth it considering what else could be done with the touch. I also don't front load everything I own on my player, so size is not an issue.

16. TeamZissou

TeamZissou jaferd
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've had my iphone since the first day they were released. Ya I waited in line, but it was well worth it.:) That being said it is probably the most useful gadget I own. I love it and can't picture myself going back to any other kind of phone EVER!

That being said the biggest downside to the iphone for me is ATT's coverage inside of buildings (especially hospitals and other buildings that may have lead in the walls). I work in the ER of a hospital and I get ZERO coverage from the moment I go in to when I come out! Other than the issue inside of buildings ATT does ok but it's certainly no Verizon (had them for 3 years prior to ATT).

Currently I know ATT renewed their contract with Apple for 2009, however there is some rumor that they may not be doing so for 2010. At which point Verizon would be able to have the iphone on their network and THAT is what I'm hoping for!:thumbup:

17. Chocolate Bear

Exactly. That's why so many big university medical centers have deals with Verizon. If you were a surgeon on call, you'd never get a page (text) in the hospital. Maybe they wouldn't mind that sometimes... ;)

18. udsoccer7

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Although an iPhone is very cool and useful, it really is unnecessary for the first 2 years of medical school. The only programs that would be nice to have during the first two years would be Netter's Flashcards, which you can buy a hard copy of. Every school should have wireless internet, so access to email is readily available if you have a laptop. But if you need a new iPod or you just are a techie and want a new toy, then by all means go a head a get one.

19. andexterouss

5+ Year Member

I wonder how many people owned a smartphone/PDA before going to iphone? Most folks seem to swear by it and i'm wondering if they've ever had a different smartphone before? I'm with Sprint and I have the Motorola Q/HTC.It has both touch screen and QWERTY keyboard capabilities ,lightning fast internet,and instant email.The only thing i'm missing out on is Youtube but I think I can wait till I get home for that! The iphone does have stylistic appeal(like everything Apple). Right now,I pay 50 bucks/month for unlimited text,internet and 1250 minutes.Switching to AT&T would more than double my monthly bill so until something similar comes around for us Sprint folks, i'm gonna sit tight where I am.

20. hopefuldoc87

hopefuldoc87 Killer tofu
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I owned a Treo, and believe me, it pales in comparison to the iPhone. I pay $80 a month, after taxes and charges, for unlimited internet usage and unlimited texts with ample minutes (that's with the university discount..20% I believe). With the amount of times I use it to check my mail and browse the internet (SDN too :D), the little extra a month is worth it for me. Don't forget about the uses as an i-pod, as well.

21. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nope, everyone has to check their cool gadgets at the door here at PCOM. I brought an iPod with me the first day and the security guard made me trade it out for a Zune at the door :(

:smuggrin:

22. Chocolate Bear

Damn Microsoft police. They're everywhere.

23. meganmarie

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Wow 50bucks/month, you must get a very good discount. I could not seem to find that price for all that anywhere.

24. Flushot

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm currently with sprint and we also pay only 50/month for a family plan for 4. Granted, there's no internet or unlimited texting, but our nights start at 7pm and I never text, so my sister usually uses them up. I can't leave it, otherwise it would be difficult to justify another bill.

25. andexterouss

5+ Year Member

It's a great plan from sprint. PMed you .

26. mroof1

mroof1 DO GONNAB
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have an iPhone and love it. I thought when they first came out, that who would pay that much for a phone. I have a weakness of new electronics but waited a little bit. I researched them and let some of the bugs get worked out. I would not go back to an older phone. Now who knows what will come out in the future. I know some older med students that used the palm pilots for different med apps. I have several of the med apps right now off the Apple appstore on my iPhone. The graphics and detail of some of them is uncomparable. For example the Netter's Apps are pretty cool. Now I cant speak yet as far as how much they would help or benefit in med school. I will find out next fall.
    It is a tough decision. I would say go for it and get a iPhone. You will love it.

27. WVPanther

WVPanther Overly Optimistic
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I love my iTouch. Epocrates and Netters flash cards are some great applications for it. Very useful. I know doctors who use the former everyday in their practice.

Also very useful are laptops that you can write on. A lot of medical schools are going electronic in their handouts / notes. This could save you a lot of time printing if your school gives you stuff electronically instead of on paper.

28. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The iPhone is simply revolutionary. I love mine to the point of unhealthy attachment. It's downstairs right now and I'm already going through withdrawal. I'll be right back hold on.....

29. Dissected

Dissected All bleeding stops eventually
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    haha! totally.

30. meganmarie

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I heard a rumor that there is a new iphone coming out in June.....anyone else know anything about this?

31. Chocolate Bear

That's when the annual Apple World Wide Developer Conference is held. They typically announce big improvements and new gadgets, so savvy Macsumers tend to wait until then to make $$$ purchases. ;)

32. waitwhat

waitwhat Bagel Technician
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I shadowed at a D.O.'s place and I noticed that more rotating students have other smart phones. I asked the doc and he told me that other smart phones have a fuller and more useful Epocrates where the iPhone only has a truncated version with less info on drugs/diagnoses and what not. I'm sure this will change though.

33. dcowboys22

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think a new iphone or a smaller version.. like a nano iphone will be released in june/july. I'd recommend waiting until then if thats what you want.