monica949

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2007
Status
I am in the process of applying to one but don't know how they are in terms of curriculum, style of teaching, exams, etc.....

also, I have contacted the board of pharmacy here in california but have found they're limited information on licensing procedures for UK graduates to be somewhat vague.

any advice?

thanx:luck:

RxWildcat

Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
I think the OP is talking about the United Kingdom, but if its KY I'll try to help.

OP
M

monica949

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2007
Status
actually it's a school in the United Kingdom ( University of Manchester).

thanx:)

LoKoTe

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
If it's United Kingdom it's not worth it. I applied and got accepted to University of London last year and then realized that the NABP in the US has a rule that foreign pharmacists who graduate after 2003 are not elegible for the revalidation process, they have to apply and get accepted to a program in one of the only 2 schools in the nation and complete 2.5 years of coursework to be elegible to do the internship hours and then seat for the board exams. It is not worth it.

OP
M

monica949

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2007
Status
Yes it seems that you are right....i called the board and was told that it's not accepted at all....not even if you were to take additional training programs at colleges....because for optometry you have to take some courses at a US optometry school, but from what I was told today...you need to do the whole program over in the U.S. if Pharmacy was your area of study.
sucks for me since I wasn't accepted to any U.S. schools:mad:

cdpiano27

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2005
Status
I have a friend who got into NOVA international program. It was more of the fact that he got in because there were many Indian applicants and he was only one of a few Chinese applicants. It also did not hurt him that the head of the admissions committee was from Taiwan. His GPA from his PhD biochem program (which was from an OK school) was a lot lower than many of the Indian applicants who had 3.9+.

The admissions to these two schools (nova and western) are VERY unpredictable as well.

Since the international programs at nova and western are so competitive as you can read on these forums, I would say to not go to the UK unless you plan on moving there permanently or to another European country. If you go there, do not plan on being able to work as a pharmacist in the US, unless you have an intent of moving to Europe or another country where your education will be accepted (I think the UK education may be accepted in Canada, you can check).

However, Europe is a great place!!! Especially France.

OP
M

monica949

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2007
Status
If it's United Kingdom it's not worth it. I applied and got accepted to University of London last year and then realized that the NABP in the US has a rule that foreign pharmacists who graduate after 2003 are not elegible for the revalidation process, they have to apply and get accepted to a program in one of the only 2 schools in the nation and complete 2.5 years of coursework to be elegible to do the internship hours and then seat for the board exams. It is not worth it.

do u happen to know which schools these are?

OP
M

monica949

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2007
Status
I have a friend who got into NOVA international program. It was more of the fact that he got in because there were many Indian applicants and he was only one of a few Chinese applicants. It also did not hurt him that the head of the admissions committee was from Taiwan. His GPA from his PhD biochem program (which was from an OK school) was a lot lower than many of the Indian applicants who had 3.9+.

The admissions to these two schools (nova and western) are VERY unpredictable as well.

Since the international programs at nova and western are so competitive as you can read on these forums, I would say to not go to the UK unless you plan on moving there permanently or to another European country. If you go there, do not plan on being able to work as a pharmacist in the US, unless you have an intent of moving to Europe or another country where your education will be accepted (I think the UK education may be accepted in Canada, you can check).

However, Europe is a great place!!! Especially France.
yes. they are making it ridiculously difficult. In my situation, however, given that regardless of the amount of work I put in improving my overall GPA, it still remains around a 3.00 due to the overwhelming amount of coursework that I have taken in years past with grades of C, I doubt that I will have an easy time getting into a U.S. school, and may still have to take the UK route despite these issues. Oh well...