Anyone have any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by relentless11, Nov 20, 2001.

1. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    Hi all! I have a question for you guys. I know how you guys hate those "what are my chances" questions. But hopefully mine will be a bit different, so you guys won't totally blow me out of the water :) .

Anyway, here's my thing. I'll be applying next year. I think my cumulative GPA will be low 3's. Below 3.5. But my i've logged over 200hrs(not much i know) volunteering in the ER, and Peds ER. About 100 hrs of observing rounds with a pediatrician. I've played water polo and swimming for 4 and 6 years respectively. Coached Water Polo for 2, and Swimming for 1 during college. I'm currently doing undergraduate research; i have published 4 papers in my first year. One as first author, 2 as co-author in a medical textbook, and one as a co-author for a medical journal. I'm working on my 5th now. I am also now part of the research staff at the medical school here at my university.

My MCATs were ok, 28. But i'm taking htem again. I know what to do. The higher the better.

I'm also going to do teaching in highschool classes since i love to teach. Strengthening my Spanish too....so that i can actually say i speak 2 other languages in addition to english.

From what i've gathered in my research on applying to medical school. THere are variables within variables when it comes down to it. And so i don't know what it takes to get in per se. All i'm going to do is do my best. But i do ask for those who have been there, to throw in anything they have to say about myself.

Anything else that i can do other than..... bringing up my GPA(i'm one of those guys that slowly but surely go up in GPA each year..hehe), MCAT scores and so on? Letters of rec are in the bag. I got some good people lined up for that. Maybe i'm just paranoid. But nevertheless any word of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member

Okay, first off...it's possible that you're perfectly fine. The problem is that you left off the one variable that could let us figure that out, your undergraduate college. As I'm sure you know, there is a wide variance in how valuable a particular GPA is from a school. Your <3.5 would be fine coming from MIT or a similiar school with severe grade deflation. It wouldn't be fine if half your units were from a community college. So...what college are you from? And why do you think people don't automatically include their undergraduate institution when asking about their chances? Quite honestly, your GPA is useless without a school attached. Also, it sounds to me like you may be spending a bit too much time in the lab. That's a freakish amount of publications for an undergrad (and a grad too for that matter!) In fact, I kind of am confused about exactly what you did. You wrote a medical textbook without a bachelor's? huh?

4. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A point about publications. They kind of have to be in peer reviewed journals, and often in good journals (for whatever field you're in) to hold a lot of weight with an adcom. Since you didn't say where they were published it's hard to judge what that's worth. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a good shot. You just need to be able to explain why all those things that you did come together to support your desire to pursue medicine.

Good luck,

Adam

5. nezlab99

nezlab99 Senior Member

You are kinda intimidating; the name "relentless" suits you well

6. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    Well to answer some questions, i go to UC Davis. My papers were in some nice Pathology journals.(not as prestigous as Am J Clin Path or the like though) So not those undergrad journals that some schools have(However i think i'm gonna do that too..hehe)

As for so many publications, its beyond me on how i did it guys. The medical text thing is a long story. Just take my word for it i guess=). But i do agree with you guys that it is a lot. I don't know, concerning that, just do your best i guess. Thats all i did. And i bet luck had a lot to do with it too.

As for intimidating? Nah....more like i'm scared to death that i won't get in=) [i'm being totally serious too.......stories of people with 4.0's not getting in and stuff].