Anyone have braces during the clinical years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trismegistus4

Credential Non-Respecter
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently went to our dental school clinic for a checkup, and the faculty preceptor who was overseeing the student that day noticed that the composite bonding I have on my teeth was breaking down, and asked if I'd be interested in orthodontics. This made me quite happy, since I wanted braces as a teenager but my parents couldn't afford it. Now that I'm paying my own way (and it would be cheap since it's a school) I've decided it's worth looking into. I have a screening appointment at the orthodontics department in a few weeks.

However, I've begun searching the internet for information on braces, and one thing I've learned is that you have to go in to get them adjusted every 6 weeks or so. I'm at the end of first year now, so I would almost definitely still have them when I start on the wards. Based on what some people on SDN say about how tough 3rd year schedules are, I'm wondering if I'd be able to get away from the hospital for my adjustment appointments. I mean, I've heard people say that on some services it was next to impossible just to get a haircut. I can just imagine some hardcore surgery attending lauging in my face when I ask for permission to have an orthodontics appointment: "your sole purpose in life is to be HERE all day every day, not stroll off to get your cute widdle smile fixed like some kind of pansy!"

Has anyone else had braces during 3rd year? What was it like trying to fit those adjustments in with your schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't have braces during 3rd year, but I'm sure you'd be able to find time for your appointments. Yes 3rd year sucks, yes you're going to be crazy busy, yes it will be a huge pain in the butt to schedule appointments, but where there's a will, there's a way. You can always find the time someplace for the things you need to do.

Like Kubed, I didn't have braces, but once every six weeks is pretty reasonable to get a few hours off during the day -- it's not like you'll be asking for a day off every two weeks or anything.

Anka

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have braces in med school, but I did get regular allergy shots without too much of a problem. I think it would be very doable.

The appointments for me usually last about 2 mins once I'm in the chair, unless they intend to torture me especially well. Just make sure you get an orthodontist who is timely.

Ask an older student at your school. Their advice is always helpful.

At mine, I had free days during OB (night float)

Psych is a joke rotation so I could easily take days off there.

there were no official post-call days in medicine but the residents had them. Which meant that the students did too as our team would be gone. In our outpatient clinics, we actually had entire afternoons off built in.

We had post call days in surgery.

Pediatrics was a bit rough but I'm fairly sure 1-2 days off could be finagled.

my friend had it, and I might get in 4th year
also usually the 6 week appointment is only for few minutes so you can always go during lunch break or something