Anyone have experience with college mental health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nighthawk2551

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Young adult population is an interest of mine, and I think working at a college mental health system at least part-time would be a good fit for me. Anyone have any experience in working with this population in a college health system? I assume salary would be a bit lower and there would be quirks with the health "system".

Members don't see this ad.

Schedule is usually pretty laid back and patients tend to be a bit higher functioning (in general and depending on the type of college you’re working in of course).

Like was said above, pay isn’t usually great and the people I’ve seen are usually also stringing together a few part time gigs (working at least a couple different colleges). Benefits are usually good though since university faculty benefits are usually solid.

Also hard to get a job in general though I think since people tend to get in these jobs and stay in them.

Be prepared to have to do a lot of basic education--for many of these kids it's the first time they're seeking medical care without mom or dad guiding them. They may never have filled a prescription on their own, or have any idea about how health insurance works.