Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Anyone have good stats but disappointed so far in '06 cycle?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by donnie_dlewis, Dec 15, 2005.

1. donnie_dlewis

donnie_dlewis Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone with decent academic stats (3.5 cum, high sci GPA, 35 MCAT) but disappointed with results thus far this cycle? Or, *gasp*, no interviews/acceptances even? What's been the weakness in your application?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. medicomel

medicomel Purveyor of short posts.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    your stats are pretty good, actually. did you apply late? not enough ECs?

4. donnie_dlewis

donnie_dlewis Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

yes, i applied rather late -- completed my amcas in october, and completed bulk of secondaries in november. i didn't have any thrilling EC's, but did have a few decent ones with clinical experience that I felt comfortable discussing in my statement. But I think my LOR's may be the true weak spots in my application. My letters came from professors under whom I just completed courses this recent semester. They were positive ones, and I got to be as familiar with them as any student could become in just one semester, but the letters couldn't have been as strong as one obtained from a research advisor or some other faculty with whom one may have had 1+ yr(s) relationship. Since I didn't start out as a premed student early enough, in my assessment, I took the approach of letting my transcript and MCAT attest to my academic credentials and I relied on my personal statement to speak on my behalf regarding my non-academic qualifications. If I don't get accepted this cycle, I think I'll just have to suck it up and start playing this game with a bit more openness toward improving those factors not totally within my control (of course, I know I have a direct influence on how good my LOR's come out to be). I don't know though...I'd appreciate some feedback from those under similar circumstances.

5. mintendo

5+ Year Member

Applying late is definitely a disadvantage. Could it also be the kinds of schools you're applying to (top tier schools)?

But hey, keep your head up. Some schools are non-rolling; they're just waiting to get all of their applications in. :rolleyes:

6. RubberDuckie7

RubberDuckie7 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow we are in the almost the same predicament! (3.6gpa, 35 mcat), except my science gpa is rather low (3.23 b/c of two BAD semesters), and I also submitted my amcas at 8pm Oct 15th...yeah. I have pretty decent ECs (research, thesis, TAing) but my science GPA is just atrocious...But I think it's still early for us to get interviews because we applied sooooo late. I have friends who applied late last cycle and were interviewing in March and April and then have gotten in! Are you complete at schools? I am still not complete at most schools, so I'll stay hopeful until the end of January. I got a pre-secondary rejection from Wake Forest, and got rejected by Suny Upstate already...so...I'm praying that I'd get accepted by at least my state school (NJ)

7. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

I applied late, too. I was complete at most places at the end of November (waiting for an LOR, aaarrgh!) My stats are different than yours but not drastically. (lower GPA, higher MCAT, and sexy. Ok, maybe that part's a stretch.) I applied to lower/mid tier schools almost exclusively so I'm still a little hopeful. You should be hopeful, too.
    My weakness? I've got a grip of them and besides, it's still early (if not early it's in the middle & it's nowhere near the end) so I ain't trippin yet. I'll give it until the middle/end of January before I start sweating. But if I don't get in I know what to work on (better clinical ECs & get LORs from them, maybe a post-bac, or maybe just go into bizness).

8. chandelantern

chandelantern MSI at Mayo in August!
    5+ Year Member

My advice to everyone if you have to do it again...APPLY EARLY! It's not a joke, adcom people are just human and they're bound to be more enthusiastic reading apps early in the season then at the end when their class is almost full. In any case, because you applied late you can't be too devestated if you don't have interviews/acceptances yet. As some other people mentioned, many schools interview into March or April, so stay positive! :)

9. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

my sci gpa is a 3.23. i wouldn't call it ATROCIOUS. anything under 3.0 maybe. 3.23 is almost a B+ average. atrocious? eesh dont think so.
    -mota

10. Em1

Em1 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP- I submitted AMCAS in early oct. and was complete at most schools throughout nov. I only recently started getting interview invites. so hopefully you'll hear something soon!

11. Dave_D

Dave_D Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well I'm not sure if my GPA counts as terrible or not.(3.4 but that's because I was a terrible undergrad years ago. Great now.) I've been complete since October and have gotten nothing but rejections. On the other hand it wouldn't have mattered if I applied earlier.(Since even if I did apply early and got some interviews I have to think that those interview would be in Late September - Early Nov which was the worst part of my liver disease.)

12. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't sweat it. Your stats are fine, and as long as you're not a complete and total dingus, you'll get interviews/acceptances. Even if you are a complete and total dingus, statistically speaking, you'll probably still get interviews/acceptances.

13. EZMcFlo

EZMcFlo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I applied early - was complete at all schools by Septmeber, and I haven't gotten in anywhere. I have a 3.85 GPA science & non, 33 MCAT. I have decent EC's, too, Volunteering in hospitals, RA, honors thesis, lots of research. I got waitlisted at one school, two others have passed over me in at least 2 adcom meetings each, and I didn't get an email from Tufts tonight, which means they passed over me, too, or rejected me. Those are all my interviews, and none of the schools seem to want me. Oh, and I know my LORs are good, because every interviewer has commented on how amazing they are. What more can these schools want? I just don't understand. :confused: I need to go have a few drinks after this whole Tufts thing . . .

14. stherling

stherling stherling
    5+ Year Member

silas, very nicely put. :)

15. JDWflash44

JDWflash44 Workin it...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Let me preface this with the statement that I am absolutely ecstatic to have gotten in Pitt in October, but I feel disappointed I havent gotten much love from the top 10's, i was expecting a little. Uumm 3.7 cum, 3.9 BCMP Gpa's 34 MCAT, specifics in profile below. At this point i'm assuming i'll be at Pitt next fall, but i guess there's still the spring so we'll see....

Jim

16. BrownTheDoc

BrownTheDoc Member
    5+ Year Member

I feel like I'm in the same boat 34 R (10 12 12) 3.85 Cumm 3.83 Science, very solid all around with everything else... I really, really want to interview at Yale. I've been accepted to some good schools (Brown, Vanderbilt, Mt. Sinai and UCONN) but I still just really want to interview at Yale, but I'm losing hope as January apporaches.

17. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah, I'd kill for a 3.23. As for my science GPA, I'm still brooding because I've been taking some science classes at night since submitting my AMCAS, and I've been able to get A's on all of them with minimal work, while working full time during the day. I sent transcripts with those grades to all my schools, but I can't help but think that they can't do the math and realize that now my science GPA is above a 3.0. They just see that 2.95 on the AMCAS and barf. There goes all my interview invites!

(HI RUBBERDUCKIE!)

18. mtDNA

mtDNA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Your not alone... I have a perfect 4.0 as my GPA, and my MCAT is 33 (good distribution too: 12 bio, 11 verbal, 10 phys. I have tons of clinical exp (shadowing and volunteering), am involved in mnay organizations on campus, have done lots of volunteering outside the hospital setting, have done 1.5 years of research (3 months of that with graduate students), my LORs were all excellent because I go to a small school and know the professors very well, and I also know that the physicians I shadowed wrote excellent letters.
    I am also a kaplan MCAT teacher.
    I have had a fair number of interviews (4 of them), but have been waitlisted at 3 of those schools and rejected from the other. My interviews did not go badly either, in fact I was getting positive feedback from my interviewers at all of them, except one (my Drexel interview went poorly, they rejected me).
    I am infinitely frustrated with this process, I can't believe nobody will take me. Im really glad I applied for D.O. schools, because I was accepted at MSUCOM, and if it werent for that, I probably would end up having nowhere to go in the fall.

19. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't freak out just yet... I mean what if only a few of us got e-mails. There are so many applicants who have interviewed, maybe only some of us received e-mails today. Maybe you'll get an e-mail tomorrow. Or myabe you'll get an answer via the mail in a few days. Your stats are great, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere eventually.

20. EZMcFlo

EZMcFlo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thanks, Silas. Congrats on getting in, by the way! I'm hoping my time will come.

mtDNA, I feel better knowing there's someone else out there with my luck. I'm starting to think I should have applied to some DO schools. Maybe I'll just become a nurse. That's what my personality test (ISFJ) said I would be good at. I guess we have what, like 5 more months of waiting?! We could all use some of this :luck:

21. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

Me too! Gah what I wouldn't do! Awful, awful things...

Anyway, I think no matter what kind of position you're in, if you've come this far, you're obviously used to overachieving (ANYONE that can get to this stage in the game I think has enough drive to border on mental disorder), so it's really annoying to sit back and be grateful for whatever scraps adcoms want to throw at you. I think I've had a good run of it, but still, Yale, throw me a bone...

22. MarzMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Have you guys called these schools and shown a little interest? I know you may think a school like Yale would expect the interest to be a given, but its worth a try. It may be better to email them, because if you call they might not even ask you your name.

23. Camillekc

Camillekc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm shocked at the number of people on this thread with sky-high numbers, research, and all that and no acceptances/interviews or were rejected! Did you apply really late? Did you not write an essay? Did you accidently forget to mention the 10 years you spent in a federal facility for 2nd degree murder?

This whole process is so crazy. Good luck to all of you.

24. mdforlife

mdforlife Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OMG there won't be any hope for me next year. :(

25. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some people with sky high numbers have zero personal skills, so while they may have giant long lists of interviews they could end up firmly ensconced in the middle of many many waiting lists.

Then again, these are the same people that turn into the many doctors out there with zero personal skills, so they must be getting accepted SOMEWHERE! ;D

26. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is hope, it's just tough to see sometimes. I've got pretty good numbers and have been blessed with a number of interviews and a few acceptances. However I've been really perplexed about individual schools. Based on my experience and the experience of my friends I don't think anyone can make a prediction about any given school. Ultimately I think that's what makes this process so difficult, not being able to make predictions and not understanding why some decisions went the way they did.

27. mtDNA

mtDNA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Last month I sent letters of interest out to Wayne State and U of M (two schools I am waitlisted at). If I don't get into either of them this month, then I am going to send Wayne State a letter of intent, saying that they are my first choice. They ARE, my first REALISTIC choice at this point. I just held off on that to see if I got anywhere with U of M, but I don't think it will happen. Wayne is my best hope for MD right now.

28. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

PRINCETON MED STILL HASN'T SENT ME A SECONDARY! AHHHHHHH!!!
    -mota

29. EZMcFlo

EZMcFlo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm pretty sure people skills is not where I'm lacking. I was VP of my sorority, and they wouldn't have hired me as a residence assistant if I couldn't talk to and connect with people. Not to mention I was elected Peer Counselor in high school, was captain of sports teams . . .

30. Hebrew Hammer

Hebrew Hammer Registered Abuser
    5+ Year Member

Flo, Don't stress out too much. I am sure that Umass will work out for you, and I would definitely rather go to Umass than Tufts. It is WAY cheaper, and possibly even a better school even if it doesn't have the name that Tufts does. Just be patient with Umass and I would bet that you hear something back positive in the next set of committee meetings. Good luck my brothah!!

31. EZMcFlo

EZMcFlo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I feel like an @$$. You are all right when you tell me to stop flipping out. There is still plenty of time to hear from these schools, and it turns out I even have one more interview. Thanks for telling me how it is and helping me just relax. :thumbup:

32. RubberDuckie7

RubberDuckie7 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Oh sorry I didn't mean 3.23 is atrocious, but the grades that brought it down that low is atrocious...eeek...D+....C+...B- :(

33. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How about an entire semester of F's? (it WAS 20 years ago.... I think there oughta be a cut-off date for grades on the amcas. Like nothing older than 15 years oughta count.)

34. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i just can't even imagine YOU with an F. Although, if we are indeed as similar as we seem to be, I wasn't even the same person 15 years ago that I am today. Unrecognizable. 15yrs ago for me: D, D+, B, B+ But somehow I don't think my B+ in "the Political Left in Revolutionary Society" carries as much weight as the D+ in Modern Astronomy.

35. bubbleyum

bubbleyum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

this thread is one of the most discouraging on this forum.

36. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

No, lady, there's still a lot of time left in this admissions cycle. This shouldn't be discouraging at all. What this thread does - and does well, I might add - is clarify that my childhood understanding of what makes a good physician was totally wrong (good grades + smart =/(doesn't equal) good physician; I would have never guessed that when I was 12). It also clarifies what a physician does (not just biological stuff, but also care for patients as people). So, let this thread teach, as well as discourage.

37. bubbleyum

bubbleyum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

r u calling me lady? :rolleyes:

from what i've read on the first page, it's mostly been "i have 35-plus mcat and high gpa and great ec's etc etc and i still don't have a lot of interviews or an acceptance!" which is why i felt it was kinda discouraging for people who don't even have those kind of stats and are hoping for some love in this cycle.

so i don't know what your intentions are regarding this thread to be "teaching." it's not coming across but maybe it's just me, hmph.

38. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What would constitute being a "total dingus" to med schools? I don't understand how anyone can determine that from just looking at your application and LORs. Do you need to show up late to interviews in casual clothes, and curse a lot? A negative LOR - what spiteful person would write one? Do you need to write an arrogant PS saying you're the best person in the world? I think the process is too random to label people that didn't get in with high numbers as "assholes" or people lacking personal skills (I know you're not, BTW).

39. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

It's rare, but it's been known to happen. I've heard of one candidate with stellar stats going in and telling his interviewer that he was wrong about his research and that he was a moron, some candidates go in acting like the school would be privileged to have someone of their caliber even consider going to their school-- it's so not Harvard. Some people do receive poor letters of recommendation too-- these are not unheard of things.

My personal experience with arrogant people is that they reek of pride as soon as they walk into a room. I really do believe that many times a jerk can be spotted by looking at his ps and by the way he behaves at an interivew.

40. Dave_D

Dave_D Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How I wish that were true as well. I might not have an entire semester of F's but I've got a few.(Only 14-15 years ago. That was for the 4th semester of a foreign lang requirement and of course you don't pass that course they don't stop trying to brainwash you. You'd think that since I repeatedly flunked the same course they could admit I probably wouldn't be able to pass, that it was a waste of time, and just waive the requirement [Belushi voice] but no.[/Belushi voice] Ok, still bitter about that one. I hope it doesn't come up once I get some interviews somewhere.)

41. MarzMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Dean Kay Singer. Im sure noone a person would actually chose to write a LOR would write a negative one though.

42. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Haha is she really that mean? I heard she is awesome to the great applicants but abrasive to others. I haven't applied yet, what do you think Marz?

43. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You are right. Although it is OK to be proud of yourself, it needs to be cut at a certain level. I met some premeds who just reek of it and it was annoying funny. I'm talking like... Dr. Victor Von Doom mixed with Muhammed Ali and a splash of Kevin Federline pride. If they didn't deflate their egos by the time of the cycle, I would be surprised if they got in.

44. MarzMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Dont get me wrong, shes not a bad person. Just too busy to actually look at your application as a whole and try to bring out the good parts. Yes, if you have a 3.4 + from Duke, she will write you a good letter(if you were able to manage this, you are a much better student than I). However, if you have a crappy GPA but really proved yourself on the mcat, Im not really sure how much she will try to help you other than suggesting you do a post bacc when in reality it is very possible for you to get into medical school somewhere. I am proof of that. I would not call her abrasive, but Im not sure she has faith in any Duke student that does not have a stellar GPA. Maybe if you have a good upward trend(which I did not thanks to all you geniuses at Duke messing up the curve) she will write you a good letter. I know that she has it actually graphed out with a trendline because she showed it to me.....lol I just like to make fun of her a little.

45. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Interesting, thanks for the info.

46. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

This thread actually makes me feel a lot better. I think my stats are good (3.75 GPA/ 3.8 BCPM, 33 MCAT) and I was hoping to have more luck on this application cycle than I have had so far. It's nice to know that I'm not alone, considering that there are so many ppl on this forum that have a bazillion interview invites at top schools and I don't.