Anyone have info on Antioch Seattle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Beard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Visiting from the medical student forums to ask a question on behalf of my fiancee...

She is interviewing for an MA in Child, Couple, and Family Therapy program at Antioch in Seattle, WA and I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about the school. Is it reputable? Good training? Good faculty? Supportive environment? Able to get a job afterward?

She is very interested in working with children and families in public or private organizations and also potentially in starting a private practice as a family therapist.

Any information about the school or program would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My roommate is currently attending Antioch University in Seattle, she is almost done with her first year. She chose this school primarily for it's Art Therapy program, but is also taking the courses for couples counseling. I have earned a bachelors degree is Psychology and am currently pursuing a career in Physical Therapy. Now that background and credentials are out of the way I can try to give you some info from someone who is getting an outside perspective of a student attending Antioch. She has said that she is more impressed with the course content and instructors involved with the couples counseling part of the curriculum. She and her classmates spend a great deal of time "getting in touch with their feelings", they spend hours upon hours doing projects that require them to explore their thoughts and emotions and than bare their souls to the rest of the class. Too me, and my roommate at times, it has seemed like the program is not teaching skills. My roommate has not found the writing assignments difficult at all, in one course she complained that an instructor walked them through the writing assignment like they were undergrads taking an intro psych course. I have heard that psychology masters programs that are geared towards counseling include material that is designed to push the students towards understanding their own emotions so they can better serve their patients, and not let their emotions get in the way. If that is the case than perhaps the second year will spend more time teaching applicable skills. However, based on my impressions so far I would not recommend attending Antioch unless one had a strong interest in Art Therapy because that is really the thing that distinguishes this program. Antioch is one of the few schools in the nation that has a Masters level Art therapy program, most are Phd. I hope my input helps a little, if you have future questions I would be happy to try and answer them. I wish your fiance good luck in her academic persuits!