Anyone have info on military scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duke

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that the armed services offers to pay for student's tuition in return for military service equal to the amount of years paid for. I was wondering how good this program was. I was also wanted to know how competitive this scholarship is.
Having someone else besides me front the bill for a medical education is very enticing. I just don't want to get screwed in the process.
Any info will be highly regarded..
Duke

Members don't see this ad.

You should contact your nearest recruiter. The benefits are very good from what I understand. The scholarships are pretty competetive. They pay all your tuition and expenses plus give you a monthly living stipend (somewhere around $1000). Each branch of the service has a scholarship, so I was advised to apply for all of them in hopes that I would get one. Also National Health Scholarship is another way to go. Their number is 1-800-638-0824 to request an application. Both of these options require that you pay back one year of service for each year of scholarship that you receive. Hope this helps.

Renee

Duke,
When I interviewed at KCOM, I stayed with a student who was on a military scholorship. Although I have heard pros and cons from many different people, this guy did tell me that it is very competitive and the application is a book. They also want your entire history (credit, driving, medical, etc.) as well as the address of every place you have ever lived. Personal information on your parents, brothers, sisters, etc. will also be required. The student also told me that the application needs to be in very early... like January. Hope this info helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
A very good site is by the Military Med Student Assc at USUHS http://www.usuhs.mil/mmsa/mmsa.html

Wayne State MMSA has a good links page as well. Has links to all branches. http://www.med.wayne.edu/mmsa/Resources.htm

Applications have to be in quite early. You should talk to your recruiter now to set up an application if you want to apply. I called the recruiter in late January and we have to rush like crazy to get it done. You will need your MCAT scores, transcripts from ALL schools you have attended, three letter of recommendations and your passport. The more the better. Then you'll be interviewed by a recruiting chief of the region (not sure if this is the right title!). If you are accepted, you will have to go to Officer Training School in the summer for 4-5 weeks, depending on the branches. Benefits are the same for all branches, = tuition + required equiments and books (DO students get an OMT table) + montly stipend ~$1000 and 45-day Active Duty Tour every year. You are a Sec. Lt. when you start school and a Captain when you graduate. If you are in the AF, you can fly free from US bases to US bases on a space-available basis. Hope this helps.

Forgot, you owe Uncle Sam one year of active duty for every one year of scholarship (i.e. 4 years of AD) or the length of your residency, whichever is longer (haven't yet confirmed this myself). After you are thru with AD, you'll be on the Active Reserve for 4 years (one weekend a month or something like that). Annual 45-day ADT are paid.

I applied to the HPSP scholarship (Navy, AF) and I was prior commissioned as an officer in the AF. I have been offered a Navy scholarship and the AF is supposed to let me know next week after the board meets. Here's the scoop. You owe one year for each year you receive the scholarship (they don't have 3 year scholarships anymore, only 4 year). This starts after your residency training.
The AF has a nice web site which might answer some of your questions. (http://ci.afit.af.mil/CIM/CIMJ/cimj.asp)
I think about 93% of this year's grads received their first choice of GME. Not bad. After your years of required service are complete, you will be put in the inactive reserves. You do not do a weekend a month, this is inactive. You don't wear a uniform (and don't get paid) and pretty much are a civilian except if a conflict breaks out, they can call you back to AD quicker if you are still on inactive reserves. You can request the regular reserves though and can continue to serve on weekends if you choose. Also, anyone can fly space A (Navy, Army, Coast Guard, retirees, cadets, etc). Not just AF people. It isn't as fun as it sounds. Sure, it is a free trip, but you are not guaranteed anything. I have sat in space A terminals for days and finally had to pay for a ticket to fly commercial because I couldn't catch a hop back home. You win some you lose some, and believe me, when you buy a commercial ticket on the spot and not 30 days in advance, you pay too much. When flying space A, allow lots of extra time.
Annual 45 days of ADT are paid at O-1 rate. Otherwise, you get ~465 dollars deposited in your account the 1st and 15th of each month for the remaining 10.5 months.
Commissioned Officer Training is held the summer prior to matriculating or after the first year of med school. It is about 6 weeks long and teaches you the basics (uniform wear, customs and courtesies, etc.) of being an officer. You are a 2nd Lt. for 1.5 months a year and never get promoted to 1st Lt. You skip straight to Cpt after graduation.
Also, they don't buy you an OMT table unless you are required by the school to have one (they pay up to $450 for it). They don't buy microscopes, they just rent them from the school. They don't buy computers, they can rent you one (But not rent to own). They only buy required books, not recommended. They pay health insurance if required, they also pay for the USMLE exam step 1 and 2, but not 3. They pay a certain amount for required items. If a stethoscope is required, they pay up to $125 for example. If you want the new digital Littmann for $350, you have to come up with the difference.
All in all, I think it is an extremely great deal. I loved my time in the AF and hope to get back in as a physician. Post if you have any specific questions. I would think you would all be more interested in life after med school once on AD. Talk to a recruiter, but take what they say with a grain of salt. They want to get as many people in and they have been known to stretch things and not tell the whole story. Not all of them, but some. Proceed with caution and talk to as many students or former recipients of the scholarship as you can.

BEST OF LUCK!!

I heard the Air Force deadline for this year is already past. (I believe it was January 5th.)

The Army and Navy boards will continue to meet until about May, so there appears to be more time to apply if you haven't.

There are also 3 year scholarships that result in less commitment. These aren't offered every year, however. For instance, from what I understand the Navy isn't offering 3 year scholarships this cycle due to more physicians than are needed currently filling slots.

Kevin

Thanks JLL for the very informative post. Nice to hear it from a former serviceman. I am an 3-year AF HPSP and this year is the last year they offer it. I haven't been to COT yet and have been informed that I have to before my 3rd year starts or I will lose my scholarship. The AF does't allow you to delay COT until after graduation like the Army or Navy. This is so that you CAN participated in the 4th year rotation at AF teaching bases. Also the AF does not accept you to according to the school's tuition anymore. You are basically accepted into the program and you can go to any school. Hope you hear good news from the AF.