Anyone have MCAT CP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LENZ

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had section CP and I thought BS was awful. Does anyone know how the scale is done? Do they base it one every test taken on that date or just each form or what?
confused.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I had form CP and I thought BS was nearly impossible. Especially the one about blood clotting.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

I had form CH. I'm not sure of all the different forms, but I heard that only the first letter of the form matters... Did you get a passage about various stimuli and you had to interpret the graphs and how the factors correlate? If so, then you had the same form as me... I found BS to be easier than usual, but that was only cuz they had the topics that I liked: orgo, genetics, biochem, and not a lot of human physio.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had form CT, which I assume was similar. I had the graph with all the various components that had to deal with the heart and venous resistance, BP ect. I don't remember anything about blood clotting though. But my memory is quickly fading. I thought the BS section was by far the easiest. The orgo was a bit complex, but I figured it out I think.
I was disappointed by the lack of some physiology, but I had genetics last semester that helped.

Hope things went well for you all

Mossjoh

Still wondering if anyone knows how the scale is done???????????

I think they scale each version by itself. Whether or not all C versions are the same - I don't know, but it sounds like they are. I had CG, and I remember having many of the passages that have been mentioned.

This seems like the only fair way to scale the test.

Dear All:

I talked to my Kaplan instructor (yes, I somehow managed to make yet another trip to the center AFTER the MCAT), and learned that each test form (EM, FM, etc) is scaled and scored SEPARATELY. In other words, if everyone bombs, SOMEONE has to get the high double-digit scores.

Hope this helps.

Together

I had form CN and had the same passage with dealing with heart rate, venous resistance, blood presure, etc.

To me the MCAT sections were all pretty similar in difficulty to what I found on the AAMC Practice tests and somewhat similar to the practice tests out of the Kaplan book. Nothing was too exceptionally hard but nothing real easy (except for the question about the urethra in the first part of the individual questions).

"In other words, if everyone bombs, SOMEONE has to get the high double-digit scores. "

I like how that sounds! Let it be ME!!!!!!

I had test AM. For those of you wondering how the test is scored, they take each type of exam and grade it seperately. Find the average number correct (that score is assigned an eight). Standard Deviation is then calculated (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and a corresponding score is given based on the calculated deviation from the average. This is how they assign percentile ranking among the nation.

My VR section was terrible
confused.gif
, my PS was easy (i think), and my BS was kinda' difficult. Overall it was a hard exam
cool.gif

JMJ, that's exactly what I thought. I had the test with the stimulus and the effects of rat surgery on the nervous system..whatever it was, oh yeah, and the easy urethra, (that may be the only one I get right!)but I thought the test was tough. Thank God for the curve!

I had a question about how the test is scored. I had been told that the scale is basically set before everyone takes the exam; therefore, it does not matter how other people taking your test did. Supposedly a large population base from past exams or questions given out experimentally has done the passages already, and they assign the scale according to that. Because of the large number of people given the different passages beforehand, the scores end up being around an 8 anyway for each section on the actual administration of the test. I did not think they graded the tests, found the average, and then assigned an 8. Can anybody refute or confirm this; or do they know how it is actually scored.

Again regarding the grading scale... it would not make sense for them to compare old examinees to recent ones... They do in fact assign an 8 to the average number correct. This would be the only easy wat to identify "whose who" among those taking the test at that point in time (i.e. who is above average, who is just average, and who is a brainiac). you will never see an MCAT with the exact same questions on it, therefore old examinee scores would be irrelevant. Calculating an average and determining standard deviation is only logical, especially due to the fact that it is statistically accurate in terms of percentile ranking
cool.gif